posted by davidt on Wednesday September 14 2005, @11:00AM
someraincoatedlovers writes:
from Depeche Mode news:

September 13th update: Sadly, Warner Music has pushed this project back until January 24th, 2006 (tentative)

CD:
1. The Cure - The Walk (Infusion Mix) (5:36)
2. Yaz - Situation (Richard X Remix) (5:50)
3. Echo & The Bunnymen - Lips Like Sugar (Way Out West Remix Edit) (4:52)
4. INXS - Need You Tonight (Static Revenger Mix Edit) (4:19)
5. Depeche Mode - Shake The Disease (Tiga Remix) (6:47)
6. Erasure - A Little Respect (Electrospect Mix) (6:35)
7. Howard Jones - New Song (Peter Black & Hardrock Striker Mix Edit) (3:29)
8. Alphaville - Forever Young (Hamel Album Mix) (5:04)
9. New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle (The Crystal Method Extended Mix) (6:04)
10. Grandmaster Flash - White Lines (Elite Force Mix) (7:39)
11. Devo - Girl U Want (Black Light Odyssey Mix)(3:42)
12. B-Movie - Nowhere Girl (Adam Freeland Mix) (7:31)
13. Book Of Love - Boy (DJ Irene Rockstar Mix) (4:28)
14. Morrissey - Suedehead (Sparks Remix) (6:36)
James Harris writes:
A picture of The Smiths outside Salford Lads Club is to hang in the National Portrait Gallery in London.

Follow the link for more info:

Smiths hang in National Gallery - BBC News

Excerpt:

The photo, used for the inside gatefold of the 1986 album The Queen is Dead, shows the four members of the band outside the Salford Lads Club.

The club has since become a Mecca for fans of the band, who split in 1987.

"I never anticipated that one of my photographs would still be being talked about after 20 years," said Wright.

---
Sonny Jim also writes:
Stephen Wright's Salford Lads Club picture is to be added to the collection in the National Potrait Gallery in Trafalgar Square.

The Gallery was "founded in 1856 to collect the likenesses of famous British men and women." It contains pictures of all the great and the good. So The Smiths really have, finally, been officially recognised.

National Portrait Gallery's web site
Smiths photos by Stephen Wright
maccoz writes:
On the new book book by the celebrated Turner Prize winner artist photographer Wolfgang Tillmans there are two portraits of Morrissey.

The photographs appeared earlier last year on Index Magazine.

"Center Of Truth" is published by Taschen.
Miranda_Grey writes:
In the October, "500 Greatest Songs" October issue of Blender magazine, the Smiths rate twice. The relevant bits: (page 100, accompanied by a photo of Morrissey circa the Smiths) #59-How Soon Is Now, The Smiths, 1985: Their greatest hit started out as a B-side; Part of Morrissey and Johnny Marr's original plan was that every Smiths single would start with an instantly recognizable guitar introduction, none of which is more striking than the tremolo riff that opens "How Soon Is Now?." Originally a bonus track on the "William, It Was Really Nothing" single, "Soon" was their first U.S. hit, and became a dance standard-ironic for a song about leaving a club alone and depressed. (page 125) #431-There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, The Smiths 1986: Morrissey has a wild night out, mopes about it.
someraincoatedlovers writes:
A piece from
MORRISSEY: 'I'M AGEING GRACEFULLY' - contactmusic.com

lifted from the GQ interview:

"Morose rocker MORRISSEY is dismissive of journalists who snipe at his greying hair and middle-aged physique, as he insists he is ageing more gracefully than any of them.

The former SMITHS frontman, 46, watches his weight and looks after his body, unlike many of the "toothless" interviewers who come his way.

He says, "I don't want to be any bigger than I am and I avoid meals late at night - 'Eat after eight, put on weight', I believe they say.

"Gravity is in charge and you can only do your best.

"There are plenty of people my age who don't have hair or teeth - journalists mostly.

"They interview me and comment on how I'm slightly greying, and isn't it all sad and pathetic?"

13/09/2005 13:40 "
Zommie writes:
I was reading the new Mens Health Oct 2005 and found a Smiths/Morrissey refrence on page 34. In a letter about the correct term for a womans breasts amid "talking dirty" the response includes the line:

Ever hear that Morrissey song with the line "Let me get my hands on your mammary glands?"

I guess she was a bit off with the band name, but at least she has some taste in music.
Today's News | September 15 | September 13  >

[ home | terms of service ]