posted by davidt on Monday September 05 2005, @11:00AM
An anonymous person writes:
I am surprised this has not been mentioned, but in last months Filter Magazine(mini) there was an interview with Andy Rourke. Andy lists his "Dream Smiths DJ Set," and gives a brief description why each songs is important to him. The article is brief, but mentions a Memoir, Smiths Documentary, and a new band. Not much content, but nice to see The Smiths in the media. Enjoy!

Page can be found here.
Jim Royle writes:
An interview with Stephen Street about the recording of The Queen Is Dead is now available online at:

CLASSIC TRACKS: The Smiths 'The Queen Is Dead' - Sound On Sound

Stephen Street made his name as an engineer working with one of the most influential indie bands ever. He describes the sessions that created the title track of the Smiths' most celebrated album.

Originally posted by C.W. McCall on the general board (original posts - 1, 2):

After 16 years, the whole thing is complete now. Here are all of the "Singles To Be Cremated With", compiled by Mozzer in an article called "Headful Of Heroes" in the NME of 16 September 1989.
Big thanks to jeane for providing # 5, David T. for putting up # 1 and to dallow_bg and Tingle for their help and support!

...(moved download link - 41MB zip file)

Singles To Be Cremated With:
1. The World's Loneliest Man - Vince Eager
2. Don't Take The Lovers From The World - Shirley Bassey
3. What A Nice Way To Turn 17 - The Crystals
4. There, I've Said It Again - Sam Cooke
5. Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets - Dionne Warwick
6. Strange, I Know - The Marvelettes
7. Third Finger, Left Hand - Martha Reeves And The Vandellas
8. I Take It Back - Sandy Posey
9. Heart - Rita Pavone
10. Shoes - Reparata
11. Terry - Twinkle
12. Attack - The Toys
13. I've Been A Bad, Bad Boy - Paul Jones
14. Insult To Injury - Timi Yuro
goinghome writes:
The massive agglomeration of information on the awesome BBC website is making available some lively wallpaper of a swathe of bands that played at the Move Festival to copy onto your pc, and there are a couple of nice Morrissey pics in there. All photos are by Karen McBride.

Instructions can be found on the page, though read ‘background’ for ‘wallpaper’.

Here is the link: Move desktop wallpaper.

...There’s also a page of photographs of Morrissey in action at the Point in Dublin during the last show of the 2004 tour on 20th December. They are courtesy of WireImage, and can be viewed here.
charles byron writes:
from Guardian Unlimited

Fans' notes

Excerpt:

Both fell in love with the romance of pop music in their teens. Bethel can pinpoint the moment her life was turned around by it: when she heard The Queen Is Dead by the Smiths. "I was 13 and lost in the halls of school, not really knowing what was going on in my life," she says, producing a CD of the album. "A friend's elder sister gave me this record and that was it. I wouldn't be here if I hadn't heard it. I thought: 'This is incredible. I'm going to stay in my bedroom for two years and only listen to Morrissey.' "

When the two years were up, Bethel discovered that being into the Smiths meant gaining entry into a new social world. "The Smiths were a huge cult in Glasgow. We would go into town on a Saturday and try and find boys with quiffs - and there were lots of them. They hung around record shops, wore denim jackets, and worshipped Morrissey." Are they still hanging around? "Not in Glasgow. These days you have to go to Mexico to find them."

This is one of the more bizarre developments in the history of pop music. Worship of the band has spread into the macho world of Mexican gangs, despite Morrissey's generally less-than-butch demeanour. "But then, Morrissey has changed," says Bethel. "He used to be a flower-toting librarian, and now he's on the cover of his new record with a machine gun."
Langworthy writes:
"These Kids Today: A Bit Pop, a Bit Punk" (Free registration required)
This article in the NYTimes focuses on Hilary Duff's music and career but does make mention of her VMA Morrissey namecheck twice, the last of which asks, "what does someone like her know about Morrissey, anyway?"
I thought it aptly applied to the discussion at hand.

Excerpt:

When Ms. Duff made her scripted mistake at the Video Music Awards, she was poking fun at her own lack of credibility: what does someone like her know about Morrissey, anyway? But I think she also knows that in the weird world of teen-punk, simplistic rules of musical credibility don't count for much. And besides, these three songs are much better than most of Good Charlotte's most recent album. Hilary Duff and the Dead Executives? Once, that might have sounded like a lame joke. But now it sounds like a great new band.
Steve writes:
C*nts corner is a website where the angry, silent majority get to break their bitter silence and release their rage against, well...everyone. And everything. It can be found on HolyMoly.com. And under 'M', Morrissey gets a touching mention...

Morrissey.

You are not a people's poet. You, sir, are a pissy smelling, a-f*cking-sexual, surf-board-quiffed, c*ck munching, whimsically retarded, arse faced flapper-quacker. No-one in England thinks you're clever, you twat! Is that why you're f*cking hiding with the rest of the planet's intellectualy challenged? You are a bollock doner, sir, and as such should be roundly whipped. In public. In the nude.

And Hec-tor was the,
First with a flan,
In a van,
Eating spam..

Any one can do what you do, you c*nt. Stop polluting my ears!
--------
Rather beautiful, I thought...

Well its a slow news day I suppose, if you want to count it as news. I just found it funny...
j deane writes:
Watching baseball coverage on ESPN this past Friday or Saturday (don't remember exactly)and hear an obscure Smiths reference...a sportscaster says... "What Johnny Marr was to The Smiths Dontrelle Willis is to the Marlins".
An anonymous person writes:
Sky Cinema 1 is showing two classic films this Thursday (8th september)
A Taste of Honey 10pm - 11.45pm

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning 10.20am -12pm

Radio Times shows the following reviews;

A Taste of Honey
A ground-breaking movie of its time, based on Shelagh Delaney's play, with the mousy Rita Tushingham in her screen debut as the unwanted teenage daughter of Dora Bryan, a hilariously vulgar Salford lass who is being courted by a flash and pimpish Robert Stephens. Our Rita is saved from her living hell by two social exiles -a black sailor, who makes her pregnant, and a homosexual who makes her happy -until the poverty trap shuts around her. Set in dank bedsits amid the grimy smokestacks, polluted canals and the tacky prom at Blackpool, this movie - a romance of sorts, and a comedy -survives as a priceless barometer of England and English attitudes in 1961

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

At a time when angry young men railed against the injustices of life, Arthur Seaton was the only "kitchen sink" hero to accept that, while life was nasty, brutish and short, you had to make the best of it. And there was no one better to convey that complex mix of cynicism, laddishness and resignation than Albert Finney. The fact that this was only his second film makes it an even more astonishing performance. Both he and Rachel Roberts won Bafta awards, while the film itself took the best British picture honour. Adapting his own novel, Alan Sillitoe draws on his own experiences of factory life, which are given a truly authentic ring by director Karel Reisz, who was making his feature debut after several pioneering Free Cinema Documentaries. British films would never be the same again. For the first time, the working classes were treated with respect, not condescension. Finney's belligerence towards authority is as convincing as his touching tenderness towards the married woman (Roberts) he seduces, and, while he may not always live by his words - "What I want is a good time. The rest is all propaganda" -as he conforms to marriage with Shirley Anne Field, the film's affirmation that he can never really be beaten survices. This ground - breaker has lost non of its power
Today's News | September 6 | September 4  >

[ home | terms of service ]