What Three Morrissey Songs Reveal the Most About Him And Why?

"Used To Be A Sweet Boy" - Having a cold relationship with my own father, this is one of the songs I can really "relate" to. I think that it reveals a side to Morrissey that, behind the fierce, and often wrongly assumed inappoachable front that the man has alot of the time, there did indeed used to be a sweet boy, holding tightly to daddy's hand. I hear it as a nostalgic acknowledgement of both the hatred and love for his father, which I can admire.

"I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday" - Depending on the way you percieve the narrative of the song, it could easily be a voice Morrissey is craving to hear, a guidance and a reassurance that "it" may indeed happen to him, one day - or at least that is how I like to hear it.

"Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" - As the final track of The Smiths largely percieved "magnum opus", this acts as possibly the greatest example of Morrissey's humour and wit, his ability to be poignantly tongue in cheek and his disregard for any fomalities or expectations.

Or at least I like to think so.

Raincoated Lover, I really like how you sum up "Used to be a Sweet Boy". After reading that and going back to listen to the song, I see what you mean. And ironically, it applies to me as well. I think my mother might have observed the same situation. To see your child grow up and the distance between them and their father and the carelessness of the 2 of them letting go. It's got to be upsetting to the mother. Good points here RL.

Raincoated Lover, I really like how you sum up "Used to be a Sweet Boy". After reading that and going back to listen to the song, I see what you mean. And ironically, it applies to me as well. I think my mother might have observed the same situation. To see your child grow up and the distance between them and their father and the carelessness of the 2 of them letting go. It's got to be upsetting to the mother. Good points here RL.

This is again an interesting point. As about half of the world will never experience being a mother, I myself often forget how hard it must really be. However, as I have an undying love and admiration for my own mother, I should bear this in mind more often in my everyday life - as should many other people really. There is something undescribable about the unity of a mother and child, and for a father and son not to experience this tie it must be heartbreaking for the woman who brought you into the world.

This is again an interesting point. As about half of the world will never experience being a mother, I myself often forget how hard it must really be. However, as I have an undying love and admiration for my own mother, I should bear this in mind more often in my everyday life - as should many other people really. There is something undescribable about the unity of a mother and child, and for a father and son not to experience this tie it must be heartbreaking for the woman who brought you into the world.

I agree. Same goes for a mother being disaopinted by her daughter and husband who were once quite close, but now are not at all. But then again that's what happens when your dad calls Morrissey Chris Isaac all the time and makes fun of the Smiths. :p Silly father of mine.

Re: What Morrissey Songs Reveal the Most About Him And Why?

This task is almost impossible. You can pick groups of three to reveal certain aspects of his life, but I don't think any three songs reveal the most about the man in an overall sense. My selection stems from frustration and alienation, that's not to say that sums up his accomplishments in the least.

I'm just interested in learning more about people's perceptions of him and his work. I think we've already gotten some touching answers, i.e. "Swallow" and "Used to Be a Sweet Boy."

It could be one song or more, that's really not the point. I just wondered if over time you've listened to certain songs and then came to a point when you thought you understood him better or other songs became clearer in retrospect. I don't want anyone getting caught up in the rules, I'm more interested in thoughts and opinions.

Last edited:
What Three Morrissey Songs Reveal the Most About Him And Why?

"I Can Have Both" Morrissey starting to come to grips with his sexuality.

Am I the only person that doesn't think this song has anything at all to do with sexuality? (Although I do think that Morrissey deliberated phrased it so it would provoke that reaction.) I just think it's simply about general repression that's based more on economic hardships growing up than anything sexual in nature. He's looking into a shop and trying to decide which item he's going to buy and he's limiting himself to one item... then realizing that he has the money to buy anything he wants, so why should he limit himself? But there's that impoverished child inside him that makes him feel guilty for indulging himself.

I personally think he's talking about buying some Hollywood collectibles or albums or something.

Am I the only person that doesn't think this song has anything at all to do with sexuality? (Although I do think that Morrissey deliberated phrased it so it would provoke that reaction.) I just think it's simply about general repression that's based more on economic hardships growing up than anything sexual in nature. He's looking into a shop and trying to decide which item he's going to buy and he's limiting himself to one item... then realizing that he has the money to buy anything he wants, so why should he limit himself? But there's that impoverished child inside him that makes him feel guilty for indulging himself.

I personally think he's talking about buying some Hollywood collectibles or albums or something.

Where were you when I posted a thread asking for someone to please explain this song to me?:) I went back and forth with Worm on this one and came to the conclusion it had to do with his sexuality. Now, I've got to take into account your perspective and re-listen!:)

P.S. Please explain the bolded items in context of your hypothesis:
"Staring in the window of the shop that never opens
Planning my selection from all the treats inside
Should I take as I desire - oh shall I, oh shall I ?
Or should I hang around to be enticed inside ?

I'm trying to explain to myself
I can have both
I'm trying to explain to the voice inside
I can have both
I can have both
There's nobody around to say no
Who've brain-washed the small shy boy inside
He doesn't know he can have both

Smiling through the window to the one who never serves you
I've not been feeling myself tonight
Should I take as I feel like it - well shall I, oh shall I ?
Or should I wait and hope to be dragged inside ?

Oh ...

I'm trying to explain to myself
I can have both
I'm trying to explain to the voice inside
I can have both
I can have both
There's nobody around to say no
Who've brain-washed the small shy boy inside
He doesn't know he can have both

I can have both
There's no need to choose
Because
I can have both
I can have both
Because
I can have both
I can have both
There's no need to choose "

Last edited:
Talk to me about "Swallow On My Neck." I always assumed it referred to a tattoo. What is the largely meaning of the song, and why is say more romantic to you than "Trouble Loves Me, or "Come Back to Camden?"

Vaux

"Swallow" is about a hickey ("you drew a swallow deep and blue"), not a tattoo. And it's about how the hickey revealed to everyone that he and his love were a romantic interest. ("And soon everyone knew...") And hickeys are quite childish, hence the last verse. IMHO, of course.

I guess I don't want to get caught up in talk about children, parental relationships, etc. whether real or imagined.

Last edited:
P.S. "Staring through the window to the shop that never opens" - please explain?

Don't you have shops like that? Certainly, there's a collectibles shop in my neighborhood that I want to go into but every time I pass by it's never open. And sometimes I see someone in there tidying things up - "the one who never serves you". That's all it means to me - the shop has an unreliable owner and every time he goes there it's not open, so all he can do is gaze in the window and imagine that if he ever has the chance to get inside, he's going to buy that print... or maybe that print... or maybe that album... or maybe he that one...

This happens to me all the time. In fact, I just finally made into a shop I'd passed by numerous times and daydreamed about while gazing into the window... only to find when I got in there that everything was priced WAY out of my league. Oh, such sorrow...

Where were you when I posted a thread asking for someone to please explain this song to me?:) I went back and forth with Worm on this one and came to the conclusion it had to do with his sexuality. Now, I've got to take into account your perspective and re-listen!:)

P.S. Please explain the bolded items in context of your hypothesis:

Well, I'm not saying that every line makes sense in my context... but I also don't think every line makes sense in the context of sexuality either. Anyway, Morrissey himself said it was about ice cream, and we know how reliable his explanations are. ;)

Don't you have shops like that?

I'm a man. By nature, we don't shop.:)

Last edited:

Does this mean that when I become a man I will cease to shop? :eek:

Undeniably yes. Once you're married, your condition will worsen.

"Swallow" is about a hickey ("you drew a swallow deep and blue"), not a tattoo. And it's about how the hickey revealed to everyone that he and his love were a romantic interest. ("And soon everyone knew...") And hickeys are quite childish, hence the last verse. IMHO, of course.

Comtesse, I did not know this song was about hickeys. If it’s possible, I love it even more now.

One of my entries:

“The End Of The Family Line” (Self-explanatory!)

Oh and Vaux… total *ugh* on this song :rolleyes:

Comtesse, I did not know this song was about hickeys. If it’s possible, I love it even more now.

One of my entries:

“The End Of The Family Line” (Self-explanatory!)

Oh and Vaux… total *ugh* on this song :rolleyes:

"Swallowing," "hickeys," *major ugh* Corrissey! Daddy's quiff is in full effect...Oh yeah...:)

Don't make fun of daddy's raging quiff.:eek:

Does "no te divertes con pappy" mean don't point and laugh?! :D

Okay, you're fortunate I'm comfortable with my quiffdom, otherwise a lesser man might be hurt by such slander. Quiffy might be MIA lately but honestly, Quiffy's never got any complaints. So, why don't you just go grind on a rock or something!?

Signed,

A nearby and readily available rock

:)

Don't you have shops like that? Certainly, there's a collectibles shop in my neighborhood that I want to go into but every time I pass by it's never open. And sometimes I see someone in there tidying things up - "the one who never serves you". That's all it means to me - the shop has an unreliable owner and every time he goes there it's not open, so all he can do is gaze in the window and imagine that if he ever has the chance to get inside, he's going to buy that print... or maybe that print... or maybe that album... or maybe he that one...

This happens to me all the time. In fact, I just finally made into a shop I'd passed by numerous times and daydreamed about while gazing into the window... only to find when I got in there that everything was priced WAY out of my league. Oh, such sorrow...

Guys, I think he just wants some ice cream.

Back
Top Bottom