What Three Morrissey Songs Reveal the Most About Him And Why?

Vauxhall95

I Know It's Over...
What Morrissey Songs Reveal the Most About Him And Why?

In our opinion, what Morrissey songs reveal the most about him to you and why?

"I Can Have Both" Morrissey starting to come to grips with his sexuality.

"I Have Forgiven Jesus" Raised Catholic, clearly full of confusion and guilt, he comes to peace with his sexuality. (Recovering Catholic myself, I speak from experience, minus the worldwide pop star part).

"At Last I Am Born" Confident about the life and lifestyle he is leading, he brazenly outs himself early on the album and now stakes a claim to happiness.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure only one person can answer this question.

thats for sure- but we can can observe and speculate and interpret the songs,cant we?

;)

Re: What Morrissey Songs Reveal the Most About Him And Why?

That being the case, and the fact I for one are sick to death of hearing about "The Greatest Hits" debate, I thought maybe we could all weigh in and speculate.;)

Last edited:
I always thought that any interpretation of moz lyrics says more about the listener than moz anyways...

first post, so hey to all!

thats for sure- but we can can observe and speculate and interpret the songs,cant we?

;)

Yes, we can, so your thoughts would be?

Last edited:

I like to think that 'Swallow On My Neck' and 'Sunny' are two of his most truthful songs (as well as 'Swallow' being one of the most romantic ever written.

I like to think that Morrissey is excellent at empathising with everybody, but these songs seem to me, for whatever reason, to be so specific.

Talk to me about "Swallow On My Neck." I always assumed it referred to a tattoo. What is the largely meaning of the song, and why is say more romantic to you than "Trouble Loves Me, or "Come Back to Camden?"

Vaux

Last edited:
"Used To Be A Sweet Boy" - Having a cold relationship with my own father, this is one of the songs I can really "relate" to. I think that it reveals a side to Morrissey that, behind the fierce, and often wrongly assumed inappoachable front that the man has alot of the time, there did indeed used to be a sweet boy, holding tightly to daddy's hand. I hear it as a nostalgic acknowledgement of both the hatred and love for his father, which I can admire.

"I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday" - Depending on the way you percieve the narrative of the song, it could easily be a voice Morrissey is craving to hear, a guidance and a reassurance that "it" may indeed happen to him, one day - or at least that is how I like to hear it.

"Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" - As the final track of The Smiths largely percieved "magnum opus", this acts as possibly the greatest example of Morrissey's humour and wit, his ability to be poignantly tongue in cheek and his disregard for any fomalities or expectations.

Or at least I like to think so.

Yes, we can, so your thoughts would be?

the bleak songs i guess last night and that joke and asleep
because they are so honest
he did t talk about that state of minf d he was and tht wasnt really jolly not that he is "jolly" now but i think more bright than in the smiths days

but i have to put more thoughts in it to choose songs that reveal the most of him

"whatever happens i love you" cause you could guess/(eventually) for whom /which person that song is written about-in my opion
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=81604&page=3

cause most of the time a the other songs you have no idea could be about almost everybody

wht else : now my heart is full

Last edited:
Talk to me about "Swallow On My Neck." I always assumed it referred to a tattoo. What is the largely meaning of the song, and why is say more romantic to you than "Trouble Loves Me, or "Come Back to Camden?"

I was told (can't remember where) it refers to Jake's habit of drawing fake tattoos on people, with pens.

For me though, it just sums up the moments when you and your loved one are just there in a room together in silence and communitcating without saying anything.
The drawing of a swallow on my neck, deep and blue - means absolutley NOTHING to anyone, but to the two of you it is immensly special.

I wouldn't say it's more romantic than any other song ('Trouble Love Me' being an all time tear-jerker), it's the subtlety of this song that I appreciate.

[Incidentally, 'Come Back To Camden' has never done anything special for me.]

Okay, I’ll play. But I’m sort of cheating because one’s a cover.

“That’s Entertainment” because it sums up the daily maze through which he either plods or skips through for answers about himself and those he loves.

“How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel” because it properly sums up the alienation he feels at waking up every day knowing that he is different and any association or acquaintance he makes must be done so with caution, deepening and strengthening said alienation, but vital for his own sense of well being and progress.

“Now My Heart Is Full” because quite simply, it is. And HOORAY for that!

I was told (can't remember where) it refers to Jake's habit of drawing fake tattoos on people, with pens.

For me though, it just sums up the moments when you and your loved one are just there in a room together in silence and communitcating without saying anything.
The drawing of a swallow on my neck, deep and blue - means absolutley NOTHING to anyone, but to the two of you it is immensly special.

That's interesting and touching, thanks. I'm going to re-listen to it when I get home!:)

Last edited:
I would totally agree with that - but also he wrote and performed them...so they must have some personal motivation.

of course his songs have personal motivation. but as a listener, so do you.
every time I listen to his songs I come up with slightly different interpretations of the lyrics depending on my current mood/experiences etc. so, in a way, we are all constructing our own personal images/ideals of morrissey through his lyrics.

This task is almost impossible. You can pick groups of three to reveal certain aspects of his life, but I don't think any three songs reveal the most about the man in an overall sense. My selection stems from frustration and alienation, that's not to say that sums up his accomplishments in the least.

What Three Morrissey Songs Reveal the Most About Him And Why?

"I Can Have Both" Morrissey starting to come to grips with his sexuality.

"I Have Forgiven Jesus" Raised Catholic, clearly full of confusion and guilt, he comes to peace with his sexuality. (Recovering Catholic myself, I speak from experience, minus the worldwide pop star part).

"At Last I Am Born" Confident about the life and lifestyle he is leading, he brazenly outs himself early on the album and now stakes a claim to happiness.

Ooooh. You've picked some of my favourites

Back
Top Bottom