Transcription/discussion of the Hot Press article (not the photo!)

[*]He was never into Beck. A friend asked him to wear the t-shirt in his video.
I hate that he did that. The American idol shirt is one thing, but Beck? Not even funny, just blah.
[*]He despairs of modern politicians' looks and hair cuts!
More blah
[*]He puts down his recent (relative) commercial success to the quality of the songs which he thinks are a lot better than his previous stuff.
I disagree... I don't think they're better.
[*]His favourite song is Life is a Pigsty.
YEAH!!
[*]He no longer likes Roy's Keen! Took him a while to realise though; I'm sure he played it a few tours.
Good. Don't like it myself.

I loved the bit about living in LA:
"searching for the smogginess and dim-light of those old films..."
And I love how he loves Batman:
"...and the Wayne Manor bit. You know, Bruce Wayne and his youthful ward Dick Grayson"
:cool:

I liked the way he makes it up for living in LA, his reasons are good enough for me. And Batman rules! I used to wake up at 8 on Saturdays to watch Batman, and that's saying a lot.
b8.gif

I noticed he's swearing in interviews now. Something has definitely changed...

Morrissey: Hasn't changed at all. But there's no point asking me anything about romance because I know nothing about it, and that's just my tough luck, end of story.

Morrissey: It seems to me that people are compelled to pair-off, mainly due to companionship and really nothing else, and even then it doesn't work. Marriage is a business exchange -you do this for me, and I'll do that for you. People who are married are also easy to govern by the state, so this is why marriage is shoved in our faces as being the ideal. On the other hand, people who remain single into their 30s and 40s are a social threat in several ways. Having a wife or a family is always viewed as a man's weak spot, whereas if he's 44 and unattached, he's a mystery.

But if we ever come across two people who have been married for decades we're usually amazed. It's like peering at a strange headless species. People like me prove that you can survive without romance, even though you end up a bit unbalanced and you tend to argue with you own reflection.

Oh, Morrissey, what will you be when you grow up to be a man??

BTW, hearing about your sex-less and romance-less existance is more like peering at a strange headless species than coming across couples who have been together for a long time.

Anyway, Morrissey, what you want deep inside and how you speak about yourself in interviews are oceans apart. Go out and get laid!

Oh, Morrissey, what will you be when you grow up to be a man??

BTW, hearing about your sex-less and romance-less existance is more like peering at a strange headless species than coming across couples who have been together for a long time.

Anyway, Morrissey, what you want deep inside and how you speak about yourself in interviews are oceans apart. Go out and get laid!

Maybe he already is and just doesn't want to announce it internationally. :p

Well, anyway, however many marriages or other romantic unions don't last a lifetime, I suspect it has more to do with humans being genetically driven to stay together just long enough to get a child well-enough along. The 7 year itch, or whatever.

Rubbish. Most relationships don't work in the long run. The divorce rate tells you all you need to know.

Yes and no.

Most relationships don't work, but many, many do.

I've been with my husband for 23 years (two nihilist punks - how shameful :D). My parents 'til death did them part. My aunt and uncle 50+ years. My business partner for 22 years. Two gay couples I know have also been together since the '80s. One of my oldest friends has been with her partner for 15+ years. The list goes on. My life is full of people who have been in one happy, stable, profoundly loving relationship for most of their lives - gay, lesbian and straight. I repeat what I said: Love does work - you can't deny it.

The fact that most relationships end badly is no reason to categorically denigrate romance. It's true, any of the above relationships can still fall apart, but my experience tells me that, however rare it may be, true romance can be sustained for decades, if not a lifetime.

The entertainment in these interviews is to see how many different ways Morrissey can find to not answer the question, or go off on a tangent completely unrelated. Interesting on the subject of murders and murderers.
The best parts are where he goes spinning away from questions about himself.
As if he was ever going to tell...:rolleyes:

The jaded view of relationships he offers may have some element of truth, or be another variation of "none of your business".
It strikes me as an observation, rather than a personal commentary.

And it is worth drawing a distinction between the dizzy ideal of Romance and the reality of a relationship that is nurtured and valued. Between a choice to share ones life, as opposed to a need not to be alone.

Tags
article interview
Back
Top Bottom