The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 63: HOLD ON TO YOUR FRIENDS

How do you rate Hold On To Your Friends?

• Total voters
Wasn't that a really difficult time for him anyway though? He'd just lost three friends and colleagues and was in mourning and probably felt like the last thing he wanted to do is go out and sing. If he'd have forced himself out on the road it might have been the end of his career.

I don't know what his motives were for not touring. He comes across pretty happy in the, few, interviews of the time (example:
http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/interviews/1994/hello.htm)

It's a shame as 1994 was such a pivotal year in British music and Morrissey's position in it was seriously marginalized that same year and there really was no need to.

Not one of the best tracks from Vauxhall, but very solid. Good lyrics, very nice music. Suits the mood of that album quite well. I didn't quite understand it as a single, though... it's not really single material. (But then, I rarely do understand Morrissey's single selections.) I give it an 8.

It’s not quite that simple. Morrissey lost lots of fans in the 89-91 period up to and around Kill Uncle when his singles stopped going top 20. So you could say his downfall started then. He then had a resurgence in popularity for Your Arsenal (singles top 20 again) and Vauxhall which saw him back with a top 10 single and gold album.

I'm with Johan on this, He should've promoted Vauxhall better, or even
a small US and UK tour would've made a difference

[the main reason was Morrissey, who thought at that time, Vauxhall was
his last album, he lost 3 good friends , and was in no condition to do
public apearances

Last but not least, Kill Uncle [i like it] isn't rated high by his fans, but
HE went on Tour for the first time, which was an overwhelming succces
the Tour had to stop because it was to dangerous to continue [info
Morrissey shot] He sold out the bowl faster than the beatles and MJ [also
info Morrissey shot
So Kill Uncle definately wasn't his downfall

Back