The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 224: YES, I AM BLIND

How do you rate Yes, I Am Blind?

• Total voters
well i wouldnt exactly call pigsty self pitying

OK, maybe that was a bad example. I was mainly picking up on lines like "brand new broken fortunes" and "can you stop this pain" and generally the mood created by the music. But yeah, surely if you're right then there are even less self-pitying songs on Ringleader. And anyway, this thread's about Yes, I am Blind.

Great words.

For me, this song is a perfect 10 in the classic Morrissey sense ... all the themes are there - self-pity, self-deprecation, cynicism but a ray of hope despite it all with a dash of good ol' Catholicism ... "God, come down if you're really there, well you're the one who claims to care." Love it!

The 1st verse - I don't claim to be the world's biggest pessimist, but I too struggle to not just see the bad things in life so this song is like a mantra to me. Generally when a grave situation presents itself, I imagine the worst of it. That whole silver lining concept just escapes me.

The 2nd verse ... the whole "love's young dream" thing - tragic, beautiful & heartfelt. Moz should have hung this theme up here ... or at least spared us the "There are things worse in life than never being someone's sweetie" line in the current "THPGU" single ... eek!

The 3rd verse ... call it corny religious reference if you must but being the recovering Catholic that I am, I'm a total sucker for it.

So "Yes I Am Blind" ... yes, I adore.

*hugs you*
hug.gif
and everyone else who voted 10
smiley_huggrouphuggle.gif

Back
Top Bottom