The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 200: THIS CHARMING MAN

How do you rate This Charming Man?

• Total voters
the quintessential Morrissey song, I never get old of this song, it's impossible, it has the right amount of everything. 10

I love this song with like every fiber of my being. I can't describe what I feel when I listen to it. It's that great and important to me. 100!!:D

How could it be anything but a ten? The first time I heard this was a moment of sheer joy. It just hit you like a hammer and, without getting too poncey I just knew there and then that I had heard something so perfect that it would live with me forever. I've just put it on again and I'm grinning like a fool. It's simply pristine.

The first time I heard this (probably John Peel, God what a gargantuan hole his death has left) I was so thrilled I pulled the car over to listen and just sat in silence for minutes. It was simply a life changing moment for me, which begs the question which other songs have you heard that also just made you stop dead in your tracks. Not oldies, but new releases?

The ones that jump to my mind are Going Underground by the Jam, which is single handedly responsible for turning my musical taste away from electronica and towards guitar music, Radiohead's Creep and Loaded by Primal Scream. Destroy The Heart could probably be added to that and pretty much the whole of Nick cave's The Boatman's Call. OK, I'll admit to The Raven by the Stranglers too which was out at the time of my O levels. Still don't know why I still know all of Nuclear Device word for word but could not then and cannot now master calculus. "Way down under Australia, very different from over here..."

From the Smiths the real gobsmacking moments, among many, were How Soon Is Now? and Bigmouth Strikes Again.

The last one, and it's a little embarrassing to be honest, not to mention a long time ago, was James and Getting Away With It (All Messed Up). Yes, yes, I know, but I love it. Is that what happens with advancing age? Do your musical taste buds get so jaded that the time between salivation gets slowly longer and longer and you are reduced to forcing your great grandchildren to "come and listen to this - it's called 'Smack My Bitch Up'" just like mine used to do with Billy Fury or Ace Cannon?

Ten all day.

Last edited:
Obviously it's great but I'm so sick of it. I can't be objective.

^^ And Still Ill....and Bigmouth Strikes Again, and Barbarism...

By the way This Charming Man is a 10 from me.

Just perfect. It's the track that even Smith haters secretly love.

:)

This is one of those songs that I've never cared for. Most of the first album really is pretty bland to me. I don't like the vocals. The guitars are the only redeeming thing about this song and even those sound dated compared to so many of Johnny's timeless masterpieces.

10/10.... Simply brilliant.​

Back
Top Bottom