The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 183: THE HEADMASTER RITUAL

How do you rate The Headmaster Ritual?

• Total voters
a 10 with a personal bonus

me fav. song from me fav. Smiths album

Lyrics are not that sharp and witty but simple and understandable,
Morrissey did it because he thought that everyone from his age and
older know about school brutality, getting hit by teachers...etc.

musicly this is the best Smiths song, it took Johhny 3 weeks to
get this riff/song, and I for one am happy he did, what an amazing
guitarpart/riff Marr produced...Andy and Mike's parts are also very
good, that it's well worth mentioning.

an absolute Smiths classic, which you can't get enough of

[ btw I was not satisfied about how Morrissey band played this song
in 2004, and I guess they did it a few times in 2006 too, but not sure at
the moment...Johnny must have used a certain guitar and peddles plus
recording equipment cause I ain't heard anything come close, yes those
youtube guys can play it very well, but it lacks the sparkling sound Johnny's
guitar had/s...yes iit prolly was a Rickenbacker, but there are lots]

The way the chords crash in, the uncommon tuning - no-one had done that before - Johnny was only 19. The whole thing reeks of genius. Slip Morrissey's lyrics over it and you have something that is really hard to beat. A 10.

Peter

What a way to gain revenge on a terrible school that you despised! Release a truly great opening song on a truly great album that goes to number 1 in the charts. This is a Smiths classic, and as someone mentioned earlier, Johnny was the tender age of 19 when he wrote the fantastic guitar melody. Glorious stuff that makes the heart soar. It can only be a 10.

I still remember the first time I listened the song from the radio Friday evening in March 1985.

I don't cast a vote, but definitely it's a classic.

it was my first coherent memory of the smiths . I remember "this charming man" on TOTP and at the time not being impressed ( I know .. I know) But i watched them on Oxford road show and this was the first song i saw and I was instantly impressed - There began all my dreams ... etc etc etc .

a 10, all the way.

Sadly the MEN Arena gig performance of said song was shit. Though they managed to make it ok for the DVD somehow

10/10. Simply one of the best things The Smiths ever done.​

"give up education as a bad mistake" . the power of this song and smiths is actually strong enough to make people do this .i adore marr and his riffs on this opener. this one calms me down.

Absolute genius. The chord progression is such an enigma. Such a beautiful and unexpected composition. Made me want to be a guitar player.

Absolute genius. The chord progression is such an enigma. Such a beautiful and unexpected composition. Made me want to be a guitar player.

How ironic--it's one of the songs that convinced me that I could never be a decent guitar player. :D I could do a reasonable Peter Buck (mostly), but not Johnny.

I've been thinking about posting proof of this, inspired by cossy's karaoke thread.

Last edited:
‘Sir thwacks you on the knees’

Kindof sums up my schoolday memories..

This song is so emotionally charged and stirs up so many memories for me.
A completely perfect song if ever I heard one. JM and Morrissey in a pure marriage of a song.

Also..I love watching M perform this in WPTMIM Dvd, as he sings it he is catapulted back in time and you see him relive the pain that was his school days…(well I see and feel that anyway!) Also love watching Gary Day’s face as he plays this out.. he knows it’s class.
Enjoyed the recent version from Radiohead (but it’s nape!! not ‘back of my neck’), they really seemed to enjoy playing that but it only made me want to listen to the original even more.

A massive ‘10’. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom