The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 171: SWEETIE PIE

How do you rate Sweetie Pie?

• Total voters
B-side of "I Just Want to See the Boy Happy" from 12/04/2006. Don't bother seeking it out, but if you must, iTunes has it for a buck.

I can't believe that this is managing a low 4 average. At least it's below 5, which I didn't think would happen. But 9s & 10s? Srsly? On par with "There Is a Light" and "This Charming Man"?

I don't think that "Sweet And Tender Hooligan", which received several 10's, is on par with "There Is A Light..." and "This Charming Man" -- not even "Bigmouth", but to each his own.

BUT, as for Sweetie-Pie, it's one of my personal favorites from the Ringleader period. Morrissey's vocal delivery is hauntingly beautiful, which makes me not even dare to care about the "music" (which suits the mood just fine).

I'd be nice to see Morrissey move in a more ambient sound for his next album (something that Vini Reilly tempted him to do back in '89), but I don't think he will.

These people need their heads examined:

applebuttaz, jeniphir, jossu, MozIsGod, oscillate wildly, snapyou, Tbevie, Walkers Crisp

:p

6. Sounds like something off one of Scott Walker's 'deranged' albums. It's not great, but it's undoubtedly bold...

4/10. Poor. Cant believe some people gave this a 10!!!!! What does "There is a Light..." get from people like this?

People like that remind me of religious freaks who "believe" even if there is overwhealming evidence to disprove their beliefs. Blind faith me hole!​

I gave it a 2 because at least it's still better than "America Is Not the World".

"America Is Not the World" is the best song on YATQ IMO. Lovely melody and message of someone who has been really let down by a country he loves.​

4/10. Poor. Cant believe some people gave this a 10!!!!! What does "There is a Light..." get from people like this?​

Also a 10.

But for different reasons. See how that works?

--jeniphir

These people need their heads examined:

applebuttaz, jeniphir, jossu, MozIsGod, oscillate wildly, snapyou, Tbevie, Walkers Crisp

:p

Thanks for the reminder. . .I've just examined my head and then immediately made an appointment for a cut and colour. What would I do w/o -soloers???

--jeniphir

The worst 'song' in Morrissey's career. Unlike other lows (Journalists, Papa Jack) I can't find anything worthwhile in this piece of music.

I've hardly listened to it so no strong opinion.
But no-one will convince me that this is worse than Father Must Be Killed!

I've hardly listened to it so no strong opinion.
But no-one will convince me that this is worse than Father Must Be Killed!

Are you kidding? Sweetie-Pie is a thousand times worse than "The Father Who Must Be Killed". I actually really like "The Father..." - I don't grasp why people dislike it so... but I suppose we'll get to that soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom