Funky intro
Fantastic lyrics
Clever concept
Creepy outro.

Superb - a longtime favourite :)

A fave and a BIG FAT 10
I'm at a loss for words...so
ladadayladadayladadayladaday

the words are better than the music. i'm not the biggest fan of the 1-2 1-2 1-2 1-2 smiths songs, like this one and sheila. moz's vocal and lyrics are amazing, but marr kinda skimped on this one.

that song is undescrible beautiful it sets me in another state of mind(the only song that can do that to me) and pure ectasy at the end...I tend to spin around in my room esp in the end grinning ecstatically ...full of pure joy and made me forget everything (all the problems etc) for these 4 minutes the song is playing..also the only song who mange to do that to me
and also makes me cry AND laugh at the same time

lost for words in terms of decribing the beauty of these words and these music johhny wrote ...and these spoken word samples makes me smile..hehe love that german accent of the woman at the end...my accent shines through a lot as well when i talk in english cant help it...

i loooove the guitar on that

...in russel`s wrong boy book this incident of growing out of mozzers music did happen to the main character -he still loves him but not as intense as back in the days

And when youre dancing and laughing
And finally living
Hear my voice in your head
And think of me kindly

i wont be judgemental when some people disagree with other smiths/smoz songs but this song is a 10 without a doubt very surprised that so many people give that song anything lower than 10...

here is a nice written ARTICLE ON whereTHE author explains why rubber ring is problably the best song ever

http://www.gloriousnoise.com/articles/2003/rubber_ring-09-25.php

i hope i will hear that song one time it even means more to me hearing that song than Hand in glove....you lucky people who got tho hear Rubber ring back in2004

Last edited:
7/10. A good steady tune and good lyrics.​

why must I defend all my votes :)

i am a tough critic, if I wasn't as tough it'd be a solid 8, it is near 8, but I round down, not up.

i think it is the 'smother me mother' that brings the song down a notch.

and the music I don't care for much I dunno too pretentious - wannabee new wave maybe...i dunno.

I like how they do it on Rank and go from the intro to What She Said.......

its a 10 without a doubt. i cant really understand why people would say the music doesnt match the words. i think it does but thats just me i get chills when he says "do you love me like you use to" and then joyce starts with his drums man now i wanna hear it.

I heard this song and I was scared....I though, "how it's he writing about the stuff that I am feeling right at this minute", with Morrissey I feel like he's singing only to me (quite selfish, I know) but with this song, it scared the heck out of me, it was like he knew at that moment what was going on in my head (20 something years after he wrote).

I heard this song and I was scared....I though, "how it's he writing about the stuff that I am feeling right at this minute", with Morrissey I feel like he's singing only to me (quite selfish, I know) but with this song, it scared the heck out of me, it was like he knew at that moment what was going on in my head (20 something years after he wrote).

I already voted and posted, but still... yes. To think it was written by such a young man.

Rubber Ring

Morrissey is surely the only lyricist ever with the wit, intelligence and sheer genius to write a song for people who have grown out of his music. He here displays a knowledge that his writing is intended to bring people out of their current psychology, leading them like sheep to a happier life. And he leaves with them this footnote - don't forget his songs now you no longer need them. Absolutely brilliant.
He makes it clear that he himself will never and could never move on - he'll always be there with the cause. The eloquence of the song is nothing but clarified by his rambling la-la-la "chorus". He bemoans how time changes things as he feels sickened by what he seems to see as a betrayal.
His point is further clarified by the two end samples. The first sample is from a film of Oscar Wilde's "Importance of Being Earnest". Bizarrely, the second sample is from 1971 LP "Breakthrough: An Amazing Experiment In Electronic Communication With The Dead". This LP was recorded by Latvian psychologist Konstantin Raudive, and is claimed to be voices of the dead recorded in laboratory conditions.

this site has some great Smiths/Morrissey info :

http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/lyrics/lyricsin.htm

I'm know I'm not the only one...ALL DAY LONG I've heard his voice (this song) in my head, thinking of him SO kindly. You too?

What a delicious jam this song is--one of his that I get completely lost in.

Has anyone mentioned how funky and unique the lil opening riff is? Also, I see it hasn't been asked/said, but um what is a rubber ring? The one he sings of (even if it's a metaphor)? I have a few ideas...

I'm know I'm not the only one...ALL DAY LONG I've heard his voice (this song) in my head, thinking of him SO kindly. You too?

What a delicious jam this song is--one of his that I get completely lost in.

Has anyone mentioned how funky and unique the lil opening riff is? Also, I see it hasn't been asked/said, but um what is a rubber ring? The one he sings of (even if it's a metaphor)? I have a few ideas...

Nope, think again... it's not that kind of rubber ring... it's a life preserver! Goes by a different name in the UK. But you never know, Moz does love a double entendre.

This song is going to be the number one, isn't it? It's the parent song, now. Listen to this and it explains why all the rest are so important.

Yeah, I mentioned the intro - I love it, so funky. :)

Anyhoo, my belief is that 'rubber ring' refers to what I would call a 'floatie' - a flotation device. Used to keep one's head above water...which seems fitting.

:)

Back
Top Bottom