Morrissey Central "DANA GILLESPIE" (March 26, 2024)

"DANA GILLESPIE"

Spent The Day In Bed is one of the tracks featured on the new album by Dana Gillespie, and is released on May 31st. The album is called First Love, and is available on CD, standard black vinyl, and translucent red vinyl. It is produced by Marc Almond and Tris Penna. Dana has released over 70 albums, and her most famous single release so far has been 'Andy Warhol' (RCA, 1974).

76cc8adfcf1b459899d0a649b237f76db7e743d3.jpg

Spent The Day In Bed was written by Morrissey and Gustavo Manzur. It is from the 2017 album Low In High School.

6c53e8e524392df5f0ea9ec6454cb363e0a87f50.jpg

Related item:

It's a good version, I like it!

(Although, sweet that Dana in her interview says she likes it because of the whole "stop watching the news" line, what with the world being so depressing these days - but that's clearly not what Morrissey meant, when he wrote the song... Honestly not trying to open a can of worms on this thread...)

It's a good version, I like it!

(Although, sweet that Dana in her interview says she likes it because of the whole "stop watching the news" line, what with the world being so depressing these days - but that's clearly not what Morrissey meant, when he wrote the song... Honestly not trying to open a can of worms on this thread...)

Too late! the can is open !!!! :lbf:

Then what do you think Morrissey meant by
‘stop watching the news’ ?

‘Stop watching the news
Because the news contrives to frighten you
To make you feel small and alone
To make you feel that your mind isn't your own’

‘Stop watching the news

I think its obvious he meant stop watching the news...and I can see why. I try and avoid tv news but caught a "news" item tonight regarding nail technicians and their price rises! What with all the sh.t going on and they report this!

‘Stop watching the news

He doesn't say to stop watching because the news is depressing. He says it's because the news has an agenda: fear-mongering ("contrives to frighten you") and ideology control ("make you feel your mind isn't your own"). I assume Morrissey is talking about the mainstream news channels, even though his own website promotes echo-chamber, fear-mongering YouTube pundits who aren't much better.

He doesn't say to stop watching because the news is depressing. He says it's because the news has an agenda: fear-mongering ("contrives to frighten you") and ideology control ("make you feel your mind isn't your own"). I assume Morrissey is talking about the mainstream news channels, even though his own website promotes echo-chamber, fear-mongering YouTube pundits who aren't much better.

@Mozzer1980 @Dusty Miller's Hornpipe

Yes, obviously that. But don’t you think lines like …

Stop watching the news

can also imply that watching the news may also make the viewer depressed? I think so.

Usually when alone, one can feel down, sad or depressed. I think Dana understood what Morrissey was getting at.

One does not exclude the other . So I think that Dana's ( and yours ) interpretation is just as valid as Lucifer's
and my LIKE for Lucifer was more related to the last part of his post
:handpointdown:
Even though his own website promotes echo-chamber, fear-mongering YouTube pundits who aren't much better.

One does not exclude the other . So I think that Dana's ( and yours ) interpretation is just as valid as Lucifer's
Even though his own website promotes echo-chamber, fear-mongering YouTube pundits who aren't much better.

No no no …..

I totally agree with and share the same opinion as you and LSam, etc. wasn’t debating it at all.

but Dana’s interpretation (possibly) and mine
of ‘watching the news’ can be depressing didn’t exclude ( at least for me) Morrissey’s more obvious lyrical statement (that we can all agree with) they both go hand in hand as I see it.

Ah, ok that’s clearer.

Agree. And both (though there are differences) that the news media’s fear mongering, and Central posts can also make viewers feel angry, lost and depressed.

One thing is for sure , the release of Dana's version made me "dust off" the Morrissey original and I've been listening to it more often in the last few days than in the last few years . A very catchy song, very radio friendly and probably a bit underrated.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom