The Best Smiths Song Ever, Round 4

Best Song On Strangeways, Here We Come

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Girlfriend In A Coma
A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours

And I couldn't decide on a third vote, so I left it blank. Should have been Paint a Vulgar Picture.

Death at One's Elbow could use a vote:D

Seriously I find it quite hilarious that I'm the only one who voted for it. It's a great dancable tune!

Seriously I find it quite hilarious that I'm the only one who voted for it. It's a great dancable tune!

Yeah, I'm glad you voted for it, cause I like the song too.
The live version from 1988 is even better.
With this competition it was unlikely to make many people's top 3.
It would make my top 7 or 8, though :)

Paint A Vulgar Picture
Last Night I Dreamt...
A Rush and a Push...

a rush and a push
last night i dreamt
i won't share you

This one was pretty easy for me, although I do love Girlfriend and feel bad for abandoning it, the others won out in the end.

A Rush and a Push (really love the M in Manchester version, the Irish accent he puts on 'spice'!)
Last Night I Dreamt (Such a wonderfully powerful and tragic song, his vocals on this took my breath away.)
Unhappy Birthday (Listened to this on repeat for the first few days I had this, quite like Morrissey's bitter songs!)

Now, that's My favourite album!

Rush and a push
Unhappy birthday - Great song

I started something.

If I had 5 votes I would also add Stop me and Death of a Disco Dancer

This was a very easy one for me:

"Death Of A Disco Dancer"
"Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before"
"Paint A Vulgar Picture"

Only 1 out of 117 people voted "Death at One's Elbow"...I'll vote it when I decided other two.
This album is the hardest to choose three songs. I love it, but hadn't listened for ages.

Rush And A Push
Death Of A Disco Dancer
Stop Me

Wasn't expecting Stop Me to lead the way over Last Night...

Despite the experimenting and improved production, probably my least favourite Smiths album. Death At One' Elbow was shocking, Paint A Vulgar Picture was a strong lyric but a strange tune and slightly overlong and Unhappy Birthday is great but feels a little simple. Still a masterpiece though.

Easy! M favourite Smiths album ever:
I Started Something I couldn't Finish
Paint a Vulgar Picture
Unhappy Birthday.
Such a good album!

ME! ME!
I love Death at One's Elbow! Call me crazy but I really like it. It's an insane song...:D

Others were A Rush... and Stop Me

ME! ME!
I love Death at One's Elbow! Call me crazy but I really like it. It's an insane song...:D

Others were A Rush... and Stop Me

Yes it is! Although I think my enthusiasm is mostly based on the live version on the Wolverhampton '88 bootleg.
But I am a sucker for those fast, simple dancable tunes...like Skakespears Sister, Nowhere Fast, Miserable Lie etc.

Bump - for any additional voters.

A rush and a push and the land is ours
Stop me if you think you've heard this one before
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me

Johan - I thought your three votes this round were a done deal:

Nah, give me Vulgar Picture, A Rush and A Push and Last Night amytime :)

But yes, it's coming up!

But turns out that for your third vote, you went for I Won't Share You - instead of Last Night. Didn't think we'd notice, huh? :p

stop me
i started something
i won't share you

So difficult! It was between i won't share you and last night.. but it's really the version of last night on live at earls court that made me fall in love with the song, so i went with i won't share you. The two minute intro on the Strangeways version irks me.

Back
Top Bottom