Sweetie Pie Appreciation Thread

There's a big difference between electro and electronica. And don't go comparing it to PSB.
I know there's a difference (the difference being that electronica is much more boring), but they all fall under the same umbrella of electronic music. I'm sorry if I didn't say I was the "all-branches-of-syth-based-music-queen", but that doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

As for the PSB comment, firstly, I didn't. Secondly, I wouldn't pay Morrissey the compliment of comparing his recent lacklustre efforts to the current and neverending zenith PSB are enjoying.

Look, I like the song and it's your right to dislike it. It's stupid to give arguments why one should like/dislike it. Sorry for you if you think it's bagger - but I like what he tried with this.

Again, your opinion is all that matters.
It wasn't exactly an argument why factually the song is shit, more reasons why I, and evidently many others (albeit presumably), think it's shit.

dazzak said:
I'm sorry if I didn't say I was the "all-branches-of-syth-based-music-queen"

You're not? Default!

dazzak said:
It wasn't exactly an argument why factually the song is shit, more reasons why I, and evidently many others (albeit presumably), think it's shit.

And I like it. Point finale?

I don't know whether I like the song yet. I've only listened to it once.

It never fails to amaze me how quickly people on here jump to an instant assessment of any piece of music. It's instantly "shit" or "wonderful".

It took me at least ten listens to ROTT to even start to get into it and decide which my favourites were, and I get that with most music I listen to.

The only music you can instantly make a decision about is the sort of stuff that's designed to be instant for the charts, where the only criteria is how "catchy" it is. It's usually catchy because it's copying tried and tested formulas and melodies.

But it's the same story every time on here. Are you all a bit thick? :p

Hmm... I'm not really convinced, although I'll certainly give it a chance to grow on me.

I do find it quite amusing that there occasionally on here is a group of people demanding Moz starts doing something different and not just three minute pop songs, but then as soon as he does you get people saying "No! Not different like this!"

And if he's going to try and experiment with something different he may as well do it on b-side of a single that no one's going to buy. And, as always, if you don't like it don't f***ing bitch about it just don't listen to it and you'll suddenly find your not offended by it anymore.

It's a tone poem. Maybe it's a little banal in the written form but I think the vocals lift it from mediocrity.

Don't know if people agree but My Life is a Succession of People Saying Goodbye was a bit the same.

Why can't he try something different? It's only a b-side for buggery's sake. He's happy so leave him alone.

Why can't he try something different? It's only a b-side for buggery's sake. He's happy so leave him alone.

Yeah, see the point is that they have to be good records or he won't make any money (but for the f***wits who buy ever single turd nugget he poops out). That's kind of what the industry is all about, and no matter how much Morris slags them off, he still needs them in order to pay for his LA pad.

Yeah, see the point is that they have to be good records or he won't make any money (but for the f***wits who buy ever single turd nugget he poops out). That's kind of what the industry is all about, and no matter how much Morris slags them off, he still needs them in order to pay for his LA pad.

I don't think he's relying on this particular single to keep his career afloat.

I thought i saw a pussy cat!

Not heard it yet but this thread has got me intrigued. I'll have to hotfoot it down to HMV tomorrow!

I do find it quite amusing that there occasionally on here is a group of people demanding Moz starts doing something different and not just three minute pop songs, but then as soon as he does you get people saying "No! Not different like this!"
LOL Exactly! :rolleyes: I think that most people actually DO want him to do the same old thing all over again. Songs that sound like typical Morrissey ballads or typical Morrissey pop single always become the most popular, and anything that is a bit different always gets dissed, with people saying 'this is shit', 'he's lost it' etc.

I really like it. It's far more interesting than what I expected from the title and the lyrics. Actually, I like it better than any of the other B-sides, with possible exception of Good Looking Man About Town (of course, I love Song From Under the Floorboards, but it's a cover and the Magazine version is still better)...hell, I like it better than most of ROTT. But then again, I've said before that I'm not one of the biggest fans of that album.

I have to say, and please don't be offended by this, that I suspect people on this board are going to like it no matter what.

Morrissey could record himself shitting in a bucket and the people here would still lap it up like strawberry ice cream.
Yeah, right. That's why people have been slagging off Sweetie-pie here and on the Download thread, others have been slagging off I Just Want To See The Boy Happy, At Last I Am Born, or ROTT in general, that's why some people hate Southpaw Grammar, others hate Maladjusted, and others hate YATQ, that's why everyone has their own "Morrissey favorite you find strangely overrated"...

For instance, I hate You Have Killed Me. I didn't like it the first time and I'm sick of that bloody song after hearing it 100 times on radio.

I know there's a difference (the difference being that electronica is much more boring), but they all fall under the same umbrella of electronic music.
Yeah, just like all guitar-based music falls under the same umbrella. :confused: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'll take any new song over those woeful covers aka, floorboards and human being!

Well, I can understand why it's not universally loved, but I think "Sweetie-Pie" is terrific - I don't think it sounds like modern electronica at all, more like a screwed-up, twisted old record from the forties or fifties, with those blurry voices (synth nonwithstanding). The utter disconnection between vocals and background was done well, by me.

My favorite ROTT b-side. And I don't appreciate being told that if I like this track, I must blindly adore everything Moz does - "no offense" or no. No antipathy meant to anyone here, but why can't we all like some songs and dislike some songs, and admit to the possibility that taste enters the equation?

Last edited:
Oh my god!

I have never really felt this towards a smiths or Morrissey song (I exclude golden lights because it is not his work) but that is awful.

I can not see that growing on me.

It's a tone poem. Maybe it's a little banal in the written form but I think the vocals lift it from mediocrity.

Don't know if people agree but My Life is a Succession of People Saying Goodbye was a bit the same.

What's different about it it's just rubbish

Back
Top Bottom