Siouxsie on Morrissey - brief quote in tomorrow's Guardian...

Here's the whole thing...
isthisit1.jpg

But pray tell, what's this in the corner???????
isthisis2.jpg

thanks for pointing that out oh mysterious stranger.

"I did a single with Morrissey once, but the video didn't turn out well. He wanted to use a bulldog with us in it, and there was some flirtation with union jacks and nationalism too.

I thought 'OK I see where you're going with this', and said 'Can't you pick another dog, like a Chihuahua?' He ended up saying 'What's wrong with being nationalistic?' so we had a spat about that.

It wasn't really a row, but the next day he told me not to come back because I was too aggressive."

She has been quoted as saying this years ago.

I'm sure I've seen those Siouxsie quotes before, in a book, her book...

Peter

Yes they were from the S&TB authorised biography by Mark Paytress.
''Morrissey had decided he wanted to use a bulldog - a nasty British nationalistic icon - which together with his recent flirtations with the union jack alarmed me. I said 'If you want to use a dog, why not a chihuahua or a wolf?'. I wanted nothing to do with this stupid imagary. We got into a slanging match which ended in him saying 'What's wrong with being pro Britain?' I said 'What's bloody right with it?'
Siouxsie then said 'Look, we are wearing pink rabbit costumes, OK Morrissey?' By then I'd realised the whole thing had become a complete joke. he obviously didn't like confrontation where I like to talk direct.
So he disappears with this guy from EMI and then a little later the guy comes back and says 'Morrissey's got a meeting to go to', so I took my cue and left. Later i got a message saying 'There wont be a video shoot tomorrow. Morrissey wont work with Siouxsie, she's too agressive'. And that was that.''

I'm seeing her live next Friday at Manchester Academy.
Saw the Banshees 5 times before I'd even seen The Smiths, in total I saw them 9 times and The Creatures twice.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Yes they were from the S&TB authorised biography by Mark Paytress.
''Morrissey had decided he wanted to use a bulldog - a nasty British nationalistic icon - which together with his recent flirtations with the union jack alarmed me. I said 'If you want to use a dog, why not a chihuahua or a wolf?'. I wanted nothing to do with this stupid imagary. We got into a slanging match which ended in him saying 'What's wrong with being pro Britain?' I said 'What's bloody right with it?'
Siouxsie then said 'Look, we are wearing pink rabbit costumes, OK Morrissey?' By then I'd realised the whole thing had become a complete joke. he obviously didn't like confrontation where I like to talk direct.
So he disappears with this guy from EMI and then a little later the guy comes back and says 'Morrissey's got a meeting to go to', so I took my cue and left. Later i got a message saying 'There wont be a video shoot tomorrow. Morrissey wont work with Siouxsie, she's too agressive'. And that was that.''

I'm seeing her live next Friday at Manchester Academy.
Saw the Banshees 5 times before I'd even seen The Smiths, in total I saw them 9 times and The Creatures twice.

Interesting history
I LIKE BOTH
BUT NOT TOGETHER:o

SHE IS DARK BRITISH PART, AND
HE ROMANTIC BRITISH PART

Here's the plot of the movie according to Wiki...

A famous conductor gives an interview to a pretty young reporter. He speaks a bit too frankly and finds he's given himself an unwanted sabbatical from conducting. He begins an affair with the young reporter during his interlude and the accumulation of differences in their ages and background begins to mount up.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tim, buddy, with this article you've really found your best and truest voice as a writer.

ohh Christ!! let it GO TIM!! this is old news, Siouxsie has better things to do with her time than re-telling the same old stories over and over again!! - but of course, being TIM "oh I know nothing about Bowie and Moz is a racist but can I get free concert tickets please?" Jonze, one shouldn't expect anything different, really! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

SHE IS DARK BRITISH PART, AND
HE ROMANTIC BRITISH PART

Not quite sure what this translates to in your native language, but in English it doesn't quite make sense. What do you mean by "part"?

Last edited:
Not quite sure what this translates to in your native languager, but in English it doesn't quite make sense. What do you mean by "part"?

I think sol's mother tongue is Spanish, may be he/she is thinking of similar word in Spanish?

She probably deliberately went to Jonze so that she could stick the boot in. She was on the radio a couple of years ago having a rant about Morrissey. He obviously upset her quite a lot.

I agree with this. She has also gone far out of her way to attack Robert Smith, not just in the press, but personally. (A little bird told me.) She's evil. EVIL!

Didn't she have a few minor hits in the 70's or 80's? ..:)

i think the use of the word hits is a bit of a strech

Position Artist Title Date Details
7 Siouxsie & The Banshees Hong Kong Garden Aug 1978
24 Siouxsie & The Banshees The Staircase Mystery Mar 1979
28 Siouxsie & The Banshees Playground Twist Jul 1979
17 Siouxsie & The Banshees Happy House Mar 1980
22 Siouxsie & The Banshees Christine Jun 1980
22 Siouxsie & The Banshees Spellbound May 1981
32 Siouxsie & The Banshees Arabian Knights Aug 1981
22 Siouxsie & The Banshees Fireworks May 1982
3 Siouxsie & The Banshees Dear Prudence Oct 1983
28 Siouxsie & The Banshees Swimming Horses Mar 1984
33 Siouxsie & The Banshees Dazzle Jun 1984
21 Siouxsie & The Banshees Cities In Dust Oct 1985
34 Siouxsie & The Banshees Candyman Mar 1986
14 Siouxsie & The Banshees Wheel's On Fire Jan 1987
16 Siouxsie & The Banshees Peek-A-Boo Jul 1988
32 Siouxsie & The Banshees Kiss Them For Me May 1991
21 Siouxsie & The Banshees Face To Face Jul 1992
25 Morrissey & Siouxsie Interlude Aug 1994
34 Siouxsie & The Banshees O Baby Jan 1995

I was trying to be gentle as well..:)

She did have a hit. With Morrissey.

Note how 11 of the "minor hits" achieved a higher chart position than her duet with Moz. And how her highest chart position is number 3. Just like Moz.

Hey! Guess what? It's OK to like both Moz & Siouxsie...and to not really care what one of them says about the other.

I went to see her ans the Banshees in London a few years ago with a friend. They were so bad that we left, really really shit.

I went to see her ans the Banshees in London a few years ago with a friend. They were so bad that we left, really really shit.

You must be very unlucky MadameChaos. I saw the Banshees (in various incarnations) 16 times between 1980 & 1987 and they were never less than magnificent.

But perhaps you mean literally a few years ago. I didn't see the 7 Year Itch reunion shows so I can't comment. However, though they may not have been magnificent, I'd like to think that they weren't really really really shit!

It would have been 2002. I saw them on that tour and loved them. I also saw them in the 80's and loved them then. There's never been another band like the Banshees.

Back
Top Bottom