RSD 22: 3 LP Set of Suede's Sci-Fi Lullabies

Shoot. I have it on black vinyl since 2019.
I haven't been able to see the tracklisting but it sounds like the only difference might be the clear vinyl.

Of course, SFL is a near-flawless compilation... but I wish it had maybe come out after Head Music. There are 4-5 songs on side 2 I would have replaced with b-sides from HM like Leaving, Killer, God's Gift, See That Girl and Let Go to make a stronger side 2. But honestly a minor complaint on an incredible compilation.

I haven't been able to see the tracklisting but it sounds like the only difference might be the clear vinyl.

Of course, SFL is a near-flawless compilation... but I wish it had maybe come out after Head Music. There are 4-5 songs on side 2 I would have replaced with b-sides from HM like Leaving, Killer, God's Gift, See That Girl and Let Go to make a stronger side 2. But honestly a minor complaint on an incredible compilation.
Hopefully we'll also have news of the new Suede studio album soon too after them signing to BMG back around July last year. No sign of them touring in Ireland yet though. Gutted they had to cancel the Dublin tour with Peter Hook. What a concert that would have been.

Hopefully we'll also have news of the new Suede studio album soon too after them signing to BMG back around July last year. No sign of them touring in Ireland yet though. Gutted they had to cancel the Dublin tour with Peter Hook. What a concert that would have been.

The album was finished last year.

I don't think there are any changes.
I have got this lp so many times since it first comes out. to me its suedes best lp. Almost as good as Smiths, not quite. The closet any band has got thus far

I love this album, but I can't really justify buying this (although probably will), I have promised my wife I wouldn't collect anymore more Suede stuff :ROFLMAO: Although it would go nicely with the 'Studio Albumds 93-16' coloured vinyl boxset?

I never understood why This World Needs A Father wasn't on SFL. It's a fairly good song and is better than some of the songs at the end of the compilation.

I never understood why This World Needs A Father wasn't on SFL. It's a fairly good song and is better than some of the songs at the end of the compilation.
Agreed. I think they favored the Coming Up B-sides a little too much. Painted People and This World Needs A Father are stronger songs than some at the end, and wouldn't Asda Town make a great closing song? I think so. But then I suppose it might look they thought the Debut and DMS B-sides were better than some of the newer ones... and they would be right!

So let's have one more for the sorrow
And one more for the friends
Yes drink to you is all I can do
As life slips down, down the drain...

Last edited:
Agreed. I think they favored the Coming Up B-sides a little too much. Painted People and This World Needs A Fater are stronger songs than some at the end, and wouldn't Asda Town make a great closing song? I think so. But then I suppose it might look they thought the Debut and DMS B-sides were better than some of the newer ones... and they would be right!

So let's have one more for the sorrow
And one more for the friends
Yes drink to you is all I can do
As life slips down, down the drain...
Of course.
They could have used it as a goodbye to BB
The Brett /BB partnership was fantastic, suede will never better that. From The drowners through to the last release from DMS s was a remarkable run. Objectively, as good as the Smiths. Though I myself prefer the smiths.
The Tears were great,as well.

The childish part of me, does have to laugh at all these 40 years old Americans, suddenly getting into Suede, as if they are some edgy band. Talk about late to the party.
I guess its kind of like going to see Moz from Quarry onward, good but noting like Smiths/M

I can't wait for the new suede lp- its meant to be more poppy

The debut album and Dog Man Star are far superior to the albums that followed including their b-sides which is easily demonstrated when you listen to Sc-fi Lullabies. That's not to say the later albums were poor, but just that the Anderson/Butler partnership was truly special.

The debut album and Dog Man Star are far superior to the albums that followed including their b-sides which is easily demonstrated when you listen to Sc-fi Lullabies. That's not to say the later albums were poor, but just that the Anderson/Butler partnership was truly special.
I think most Suede fans agree with that... especially those there from the beginning. However, I give them much credit for carrying on with an unknown 17-year-old guitarist nonetheless and creating a pretty amazing album in Coming Up when most critics had already written them off. They were smart to go in a more pop direction at that point... rather than trying to make DMS #2 or something like that.

However, while good, I was less enthralled with Head Music. I know everyone hates A New Morning, while it's certainly a weaker effort, I don't find it deserving of the mountain of hate it receives.

Last edited:
Of course.
They could have used it as a goodbye to BB
The Brett /BB partnership was fantastic, suede will never better that. From The drowners through to the last release from DMS s was a remarkable run. Objectively, as good as the Smiths. Though I myself prefer the smiths.
The Tears were great,as well.

The Tears were indeed amazing. It seemed at the time there was more to come. Even if The Tears was only a one-off never to be repeated, I'm happy it happened. In other words, I'm happy Brett & Bernard's story wasn't just an acrimonious split and then never working together again. Sound familiar?

Perhaps had Suede not reformed we might have gotten some more Tears albums?

Agreed. I love that song. Also why was Painted People left off...or the long version of Stay Together?

The Tears were indeed amazing. It seemed at the time there was more to come. Even if The Tears was only a one-off never to be repeated, I'm happy it happened. In other words, I'm happy Brett & Bernard's story wasn't just an acrimonious split and then never working together again. Sound familiar?

I don't understand how the same Brett that wrote the abomination that is A New Morning was capable of pulling The Tears out of his ass just a few years later.

I think most Suede fans agree with that... especially those there from the beginning. However, I give them much credit for carrying on with an unknown 17-year-old guitarist nonetheless and creating a pretty amazing album in Coming Up when most critics had already written them off. They were smart to go in a more pop direction at that point... rather than trying to make DMS #2 or something like that.

However, while good, I was less enthralled with Head Music. I know everyone hates A New Morning, while it's certainly a weaker effort, I don't find it deserving of the mountain of hate it receives.

Having been there from The Drowners onwards... any Suede conversation suffers from the rose tinted spectacles of nostalgia. The Anderson/Butler team were together about 5 years and released something like 38 songs whilst, for at least 3 of those years, they toiled in invisible obscurity with plenty of time to write and junk plenty of subpar songs and played 181 shows. The five years from Richard coming on board to the end of the Head Music era saw 60 songs and three world tours with over 350 shows, with not much time and an insatiable desire for B-sides where both Coming Up and Head Music had something like 18 B-sides each - more than twice the number of non-album tracks than the Butler period. It's not really a like-for-like comparison.

The Tears were dead in the water mid-2006. The Suede reformation discussions hadn't even started three and a half years later. The first phone calls were early Jan 2010, I think.

Tags
suede
Back
Top Bottom