Pete Doherty on Smiths influences in the songwriting process

I can't sing or play an instrument, but then I don't have legions of fans lauding me as a legendary genius either.
- well this is true and its okay if you don't understand

I don't think anybody actually reads the NME anymore. I just think its small minded to take your opinions from newspapers and to spout the same drivel as all the other monkeys, it is you and them that are boring - if you are bored of him just don't buy the papers - am sure he is alot more bored of it all than you are anyway

......and by the way don't kid yourself if Elliott Smith went out with Kate Moss he would be the subject of half true front page "drug horror" stories every other day in the week.

but he didnt go out with Kate Moss. so thats irrelevant.

49gl086.jpg

Sinead needs to write some more songs so she can get herself some new carpet.

my last comment on Doherty.

If he really wasn't that person in the picture given his kitten a crackflash,
he could've sued every paper/magazine who printed that pic, but he didn't...which says a lot IMHO

I'm afraid he''ll be the next dead artist, if not IMHO after 5 years, nobody
knows Pete...what's his name,....and be begging for his next hit round
Paddington tube station

choices:confused:

and what is wrong with pop music all of a sudden? [...]

if you re-read what i said and think about the context in which i said it, you'll get what i meant.

[...] some on his songs are great - morrissey put one of his songs on the "songs that saved your life" NME CD and its generally agreed that the liberteens were a great band

you kinda shot yourself in the foot with that argument.

I thought that but saved it for you.

that's why you're my favourite, dave. you're the greatest.

anyway, have you been to the laundrette recently?

my last comment on Doherty.

If he really wasn't that person in the picture given his kitten a crackflash,
he could've sued every paper/magazine who printed that pic, but he didn't...which says a lot IMHO

Firstly, he can't comment as he is currently in rehab. Secondly, how is a guy who has spent the vast majority of his earned wealth on drugs going to take the paper who published it to court(The Rupert Murdoch owned Sun newspaper) As my dear old Gran used to say: "Don't be so f***ing silly"

exactly right - also comments like - why doesn't he sue - remind me of what people said when morrissey was accused of racism - he doesn't do it because anyone with a brain can make up their own mind and see it for what it is. anyway "celibate" claims that was his/her last comment on the matter which is a relief.

doherty is a good poet - I realise these are trivial things in the scheme of things but perhaps you haven't heard this side of his story. He left school highly qualified with several A stars and got a place at Oxford to study poetry. He also won a national poetry competition aged 14 with the following:

I knew she wasn't English
'Cause she spoke it far too well
The grammar was goodly and the verbs as they should be
And the slang was bang on the bell
So as the language barrier clanged and banged
I could not hear, hear nor see
London, England and Bow
Crumble into the sea.

very simple and beautiful words- and by the way there is nothing wrong with rhyming "on" with "gone" - I think ee cummings would agree with me on that.
"HIM" nothing you say makes any sense you want us all to look at the world through a toilet - your toilet.
Also he was in the liberteens you know? - he was responsible for many if not all of there best songs
he has only released one album since they split and it has some very good moments - give him a chance
"For Lovers" is also a great song

Anyway if you check back you will clearly see i won this argument some time ago.

I can't sing or play an instrument, but then I don't have legions of fans lauding me as a legendary genius either.

- well this is true and its okay if you don't understand

I don't think anybody actually reads the NME anymore. I just think its small minded to take your opinions from newspapers and to spout the same drivel as all the other monkeys, it is you and them that are boring - if you are bored of him just don't buy the papers - am sure he is alot more bored of it all than you are anyway

......and by the way don't kid yourself if Elliott Smith went out with Kate Moss he would be the subject of half true front page "drug horror" stories every other day in the week.

Believe me, you're talking to the wrong person here. I don't buy newspapers and have appeared on TV and in magazines urging people to do the same (the subject I speak on is football, but the sentiment still stands). All I'm bothered about here is the music - and as far as I'm concerned, he doesn't make good records (and the few Doherty songs I do like have more to do with Barat's influence than anything else).

Don't take it so personally, I'm sure he wouldn't.

Anyway if you check back you will clearly see i won this argument some time ago.

I think you need to put your dummy back in and grow up. People have different opinions. You're fully entitled to yours, even if it is wrong in this instance.

[...] "HIM" nothing you say makes any sense you want us all to look at the world through a toilet - your toilet. [...]

that's true: i'm always trying to get people to look at the world through my toilet.

I think I won this debate before it even began.

HIM, the laundrette is a touchy subject. I'll explain more in off-topic, when I get the chance.

HIM, the laundrette is a touchy subject. I'll explain more in off-topic, when I get the chance.

cheers, dave. i'll keep an eye out for it.

last one Smiler

I liked the Libertines a lot
They finally split, cause of Petes behaviour
[who can work with a junkie whose in a crackhouse an hour before going on an european Tour, and more fine examples are very known]

I like Pete's lyrics and some song, but he's ruining himself, he thinks his way of life is the best publicity he can get, in the Libertines he got
a few people who protected him a bit, but since the split he's way out
of line
Yeah, about Morrissey's racism, was stupid cause if you read the lyrics
of NFD Asian Rut, Bengali in Platforms he only describes situations and not
judge.
Pete's been photgraphed doing drugs more than a 1000 times, he's in rehab
3 times a week, his soap with pictures is daily in the english press
So there a lot of difference between false acusing, and fact that one
is a junkie

I hope he makes a choice soon

OUT

His drug problems are broad blown, thats the only difference between his personal life and most other sorry for this 'rock stars'

Do you think Morrissey would have been building a Libertines fan club had they been 1977 instead?

Back
Top Bottom