Pete Doherty on Smiths influences in the songwriting process

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
From the new Q magazine:

Q:"Is sadness a good muse?"

Doherty: "Even if I'm feeling blank or not particularly feeling happy or sad, suddenly a song will come out and it'll suddenly occur to me that's how I really feel. It's better than any therapy or any conversation. You just hit something on the head and it captures a mood. Like 'Well I Wonder' by The Smiths, I used to put that on, especially the 7-inch [it was the B-side of How Soon Is Now?] where you'd hear all the crackles and then the drumbeat and then...[starts to hum Well I Wonder]. Just that mood."

Later in the interview the Q journalist sketches something in Doherty's notebook, and Doherty writes something in his. Later he checks what Doherty has written...

"...a quote from another Smith' song, Rubber Ring: 'Don't forget the songs the songs that made you cry'...that line always made me well up. Love, Pete."

Peter

Well, for a waster, Pete has good music taste :p

Like 'Well I Wonder' by The Smiths, I used to put that on, especially the 7-inch [it was the B-side of How Soon Is Now?] where you'd hear all the crackles and then the drumbeat and then...[starts to hum Well I Wonder]

Aren't those raindrops?

I can't stand his voice. I like some of the Libertines stuff, but the more I listen to and compare Dirty Pretty Things & Babyshambles, the more I come to the conclusion that it was his pal that made the band what they were.

A few on here might be aware of my disdain for Doherty (and I won't get into all that again) but I was prepared to give him a chance the weekend before last when a friend of mine & fan of his convinced me to go along to an acoustic set at a festival we went to. Needless to say, Doherty never turned up and just proved the old stereotype right yet again.
Incidentally, Barat and co. gave an excellent performance later in the day.

lets not kid ourselves, he's an A class wanker, just because he likes the smiths doesnt make him any less. and as for his voice, he sounds like he belongs in a special care home:D

I can't stand his voice. I like some of the Libertines stuff, but the more I listen to and compare Dirty Pretty Things & Babyshambles, the more I come to the conclusion that it was his pal that made the band what they were.

A few on here might be aware of my disdain for Doherty (and I won't get into all that again) but I was prepared to give him a chance the weekend before last when a friend of mine & fan of his convinced me to go along to an acoustic set at a festival we went to. Needless to say, Doherty never turned up and just proved the old stereotype right yet again.
Incidentally, Barat and co. gave an excellent performance later in the day.

Pete Doherty was never signed up to perform at Get Loaded, the promoters of the event admit this.

Carl Barat is a great guy but his bands debut album is average at it's peak. I have been assured that a number of unhelpful circumstances led to this and their second release should be much better.

Also sticking to the orignal post, Pete says that Jeane & Wonderful Woman from the This Charming Man 12" are his favourite b sides .

Last edited:
on Perez Hilton today I saw a picture of him making his kitty smoke crack! WTF?! thats just so sick and disturbing. i was indifferent to him before and honestly have never listened to his music, and he can smoke as much crack as he wants, but you dont f*** up your kitty!!!! so wrong. :mad:

[...]A few on here might be aware of my disdain for Doherty [...]

yes, i'm aware of it. i've been following it closely. what do you think about other stuff?

on Perez Hilton today I saw a picture of him making his kitty smoke crack! WTF?! thats just so sick and disturbing. i was indifferent to him before and honestly have never listened to his music, and he can smoke as much crack as he wants, but you dont f*** up your kitty!!!! so wrong. :mad:

I saw the same thing and I can't for the life of me understand why the hell people give him credit as a musician or human for that matter. What a waste of sperm and egg!

leave him alone - he's alright

he's written some really great songs

and said alot of powerful stuff

As for "Doherty makes cat smoke crack" - bollocks

do you really think that guy in the picture was him?

and that the pipe was really fulla crack?

do you believe everything you read?

some of you people are stupido.

leave him alone - he's alright

he's written some really great songs

and said alot of powerful stuff

As for "Doherty makes cat smoke crack" - bollocks

do you really think that guy in the picture was him?

and that the pipe was really fulla crack?

do you believe everything you read?

some of you people are stupido.

The question really becomes, why would news of "Doperty" making a cat smoke crack really suprise anyone considering he is a ridiculous junkie? Seriously, is it that weird for him?...no. But is it still a f***ing cruel and terrible thing to do? Yes. And Perez does not publish bullshit. He gets his facts straight before posting anything.

Back
Top Bottom