Morrissey Interview Question

I can remember listening to/watching an interview which involved various "celebs" talking about Morrissey and how he had influenced them. Preston from The Ordinary Boys was on it, and he did an absolutely spot on impression of Morrissey saying "yes, I know who you are" when Preston approached him for the first time.

I know this is a bit vague but does anyone know what interview I am talking about and where I can hear/see it again?

Cheers

Preston from The Ordinary Boys chose "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?" as the song that changed his life.

The Jo Whiley show on Radio 1 was being broadcast from Preston's home, and during a section of the show called Changing Tracks he chose the 'Vauxhall And I' track, explaining that the whole album changed his life but that particular song was his favourite song from that album.

Jo asked why it meant so much to him and he replied that the whole album had meant so much to the people that he knew. That the album had a strange, haunting quality that made it unlike anything else that was around at the time.

The song was then played.

Afterwards Jo asked Preston about Morrissey's influence. "Massive. I think I'm forever trying to shake the 'Morrissey' from out of me. People keep saying to me 'Oh you just want to be Morrissey', but I just deny it. But of course I'd love to be Morrissey". Jo then asked if he had ever met Morrissey. "A few times. But I've only had the courage to speak to him once. I went up to him and said 'Hello, I'm Preston from The Ordinary Boys' and he just looked at me and said (dismissively)'I know who you are!' That was the end of that."

Later Jo remarked that several people had texted in thanking Preston for getting some Mozz played on prime-time Radio 1.

COPIED AND PASTED FROM SOLO ARCHIVE

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I never ever listen to the durge that is Radio 1 (and certainly wouldn't have gone out of my way to re-tune my radio to listen to Preston, of all people, being interviewed) so I am mystified as to how and where I would have heard it...but thanks anyway!!

Preston from The Ordinary Boys chose "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?" as the song that changed his life.

The Jo Whiley show on Radio 1 was being broadcast from Preston's home, and during a section of the show called Changing Tracks he chose the 'Vauxhall And I' track, explaining that the whole album changed his life but that particular song was his favourite song from that album.

Jo asked why it meant so much to him and he replied that the whole album had meant so much to the people that he knew. That the album had a strange, haunting quality that made it unlike anything else that was around at the time.

The song was then played.

Afterwards Jo asked Preston about Morrissey's influence. "Massive. I think I'm forever trying to shake the 'Morrissey' from out of me. People keep saying to me 'Oh you just want to be Morrissey', but I just deny it. But of course I'd love to be Morrissey". Jo then asked if he had ever met Morrissey. "A few times. But I've only had the courage to speak to him once. I went up to him and said 'Hello, I'm Preston from The Ordinary Boys' and he just looked at me and said (dismissively)'I know who you are!' That was the end of that."

Later Jo remarked that several people had texted in thanking Preston for getting some Mozz played on prime-time Radio 1.

COPIED AND PASTED FROM SOLO ARCHIVE

i pissed myself laughing at this :rolleyes:

I thought it was on the ITV (or was it Channel 4?) footage of the Move Festival in 2004.

Back
Top Bottom