Classic Morrissey Interviews

In the eighties there was every reason to detest Stevie Wonder. As with quite a few formerly classic artists, he spent the decade putting out some of the shittest records ever made.

Morrissey doesn't detest Stevie Wonder.

In 2006 in Dublin someone saw Morrissey at HMV.
Morrissey was checking Stevie Wonder CDs.

20 years later... :rolleyes:;)

In the eighties there was every reason to detest Stevie Wonder. As with quite a few formerly classic artists, he spent the decade putting out some of the shittest records ever made.

Every reason to detest him? The man is legendary despite his "commerical period" of the 80's. He had some of his biggest hits then, albeit they were songs like "I just called to say I love you", "Ebony & Ivory", "Part time lover", but don't forget "That's what friends are for" and "We are the World". :) Yes, some of that was cheese (I wouldn't say "shittiest") and I think what Moz ultimately detested was the "modern" black music (Whitney, Janet, etc.), not Stevie's older stuff like "Superstition", "Higher Ground" and "Sir Duke". Moz can't deny Stevie's influence.

I wonder if he bought something of Stevie's at HMV in 2006. I'd bet anything he owns Songs in the Key of Life.

20 years later... :rolleyes:;)

Every reason to detest him? The man is legendary despite his "commerical period" of the 80's. He had some of his biggest hits then, albeit they were songs like "I just called to say I love you", "Ebony & Ivory", "Part time lover", but don't forget "That's what friends are for" and "We are the World". :) Yes, some of that was cheese (I wouldn't say "shittiest") and I think what Moz ultimately detested was the "modern" black music (Whitney, Janet, etc.), not Stevie's older stuff like "Superstition", "Higher Ground" and "Sir Duke". Moz can't deny Stevie's influence.

I wonder if he bought something of Stevie's at HMV in 2006. I'd bet anything he owns Songs in the Key of Life.

Again, you need some historical perspective. Stevie is legendary, but time has been kind to him. We are now able to just consider the good stuff because we can put the rubbish to the back of our mind. In the eighties we couldn't do that because he insisted on releasing absolute crap all the time.

It's nothing to do with black music. A lot of established white artists released shit in the eighties as well.

Again, you need some historical perspective. Stevie is legendary, but time has been kind to him. We are now able to just consider the good stuff because we can put the rubbish to the back of our mind. In the eighties we couldn't do that because he insisted on releasing absolute crap all the time.

It's nothing to do with black music. A lot of established white artists released shit in the eighties as well.

You are correct, sir.

Tags
interview
Back
Top Bottom