Morrissey does not have a record contract

If Morrissey wants a record contract he will get one. He won't have millions thrown at him, but then I don't think he ever has. He seems to record quite cheaply and deliver on time and sells a respectable amount. He is also a prestige artist so a lot of record companies will be happy to give him a small deal even if he doesn't make them any money. It looks good on their roster.

But my impression is he's winding down at the moment and will probably take a break.

I don't buy the story that he struggled for years to get a contract last time. I don't think he had the desire to have one. Again, I think he needed time out.

Moz could do a whole lot worse than Starbucks. Heck, McCartney [as noted above] and Streisand and Joni Mitchell are on Hear Music, that's pretty good company. But wait, they're a lot older. Never mind, he's f***ed. (kidding)

As an aside: Ghost, why are there so many people with swords in Dublin - have ye been invaded by ninjas?

The Fall are on Domino at the moment aren't they?

In fairness to Moz apart from the major pop stars (Maradona, Upoo, Wacko the paedo) his sales haven't been bad that for a middle-age pop musician since "the comeback" I would guess he's outdone Prince and certainly most of the 80s alternative crowd such as The Cure and the Bunnymen. Probably about the same level as DM?

He's never going to have another Lazarus revival in terms of record sales as the record industry has changed beyond reproach, which also accounts for YOR's poor sales in relative terms.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next... that Morrissey/ Marr reunion looks ever closer?

It's just struck me that we'll never hear those other songs recorded for Refusal now, as they belong to Universal. I was Bully, I'm Looking Forward, Teresa Teresa - and maybe one more.

Peter

Would this be so even if he were to re-record them? Or do they own the rights to the actual MATERIAL? :blushing: I should really know these things by now :o

Isn't it about time he had a change of Manager too?

And why not another keyboardist, while we're at it :D

Does this have something to do as well? http://www.nme.com/news/morrissey/42049

Well he said he doesn't plan on going past 55. It just seems to me that because he mentioned that age specifically, he must have things planned out to some degree as to how he'll fold. It won't be like this. It will be magnificent. And incredibly saddening :tears:

Why doesn't he just set up his own label? He has the money.

That would be becoming part of the game, then, wouldn't it? :D Morrissey can't be a crashing bore. ;)

Remember Attack?

Technically, Attack was a 'vanity label.' Not exactly the same thing.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next... that Morrissey/ Marr reunion looks ever closer?

Just because he's currently without a label?

I just like hearing his music. :o I can't keep track of these things.

MAybe he'll release his next LP free with the Mail On Sunday. :lbf::lbf:

Hmm, I wonder if Swords was simply a contractual obligation then.

That's what I was just wondering.

...but..but he just had a top 55 smash with 'Swords'...
mmmental.

It's incredible how it always happen to him. I hope he finds a new "home". To be honest I don't why he had left "Attack" if they were the only ones who wanted Morrissey when nobody wanted. In my opinion he didn''t be grate with them.

Until now, every time I read this messege it sounds like a poor weeping.

I fear he stays many years with no label again.

Last edited:
Then again, maybe this? :thumb::tears:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DOPLJQuVm_I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DOPLJQuVm_I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

To be honest I don't why he had left "Attack" if they were the only ones who wanted Morrissey when nobody wanted. In my opinion he didn''t be grate with them.

"Attack" was Morrissey's personal 'vanity label.' It was really just a name. He could recruit other artists with it, but it worked a tad bit differently than a typical record label.

"Attack" was Morrissey's personal 'vanity label.' It was really just a name. He could recruit other artists with it, but it worked a tad bit differently than a typical record label.

If he set up his own label, it would pretty much be a vanity label too.

If he set up his own label, it would pretty much be a vanity label too.

To some degree. But "Attack" really didn't really need to perform well. From the looks of it, it wasn't as much of a financial risk to Morrissey as a full-blown label would be.

I know that Attack bellongs to Sanctuary, and Attack was a Reggae label until Morrissey comes with himself and changes everything. But that's ok, he could remain there or even try to be contracted by Sancturay again - 'cause Sanctuary was the Morrissey's companay record on USA in 2008 (it was responsabile by GH USA promotion.

Why is Starbucks seeming to be the most likely label of all? Is it cheaper / easier for an artst .. or like a last ditch emergency type thing that artists use?

Sorry, just not up on the whole thing.

If he DOES sign to Starbucks that could be quite awseome for me, as i work for them .. I could be hearing him every day at work !!!! Wonderful :-D

I know that Attack bellongs to Sanctuary, and Attack was a Reggae label until Morrissey comes with himself and changes everything. But that's ok, he could remain there or even try to be contracted by Sancturay again - 'cause Sanctuary was the Morrissey's companay record on USA in 2008 (it was responsabile by GH USA promotion.

Sanctuary doesn't exist anymore.

If Morrissey wants a record contract he will get one. He won't have millions thrown at him, but then I don't think he ever has. He seems to record quite cheaply and deliver on time and sells a respectable amount. He is also a prestige artist so a lot of record companies will be happy to give him a small deal even if he doesn't make them any money. It looks good on their roster.
But my impression is he's winding down at the moment and will probably take a break.
I don't buy the story that he struggled for years to get a contract last time. I don't think he had the desire to have one. Again, I think he needed time out.

he didn't struggle to get a contract. he struggled to get one which he thought his status deserved. his sales have tumbled dramatically since Quarry. if he wants to have a record contract next year, the terms of the deal will be much worse than those he's enjoyed for his last three albums.
the longer he takes time out, the greater will be the demand for new product. that's why a seven year gap from 97-04 resulted in record-breaking sales for Quarry, an album which is some distance off his best solo work, let alone Smiths.
so the options are, accept a very modest deal in the the next year or two, or take a few years off...

Back
Top Bottom