Morrissey does not have a record contract

For all his protestations about his shyness, and I do beleieve he is shy in social situations, he craves the adulation he recieves from his fans and also from the general public. It is for this reason that I don't think Moz can just hang it up. If he could he would have done so durinf his LA wilderness years. Those tours he undertook must have been his decision, in 99 and 02 he didn't have any new product to plug he just loves being onstage. Although, I must admit that a world without Morrissey doesn't bear thinking about in my opinion. There is one more question that should be asked though; Is there a record label out there that Morrissey at some point in the past hasn't upset, turned down or split less than amicably from?

There is one more question that should be asked though; Is there a record label out there that Morrissey at some point in the past hasn't upset, turned down or split less than amicably from?

Edison%20Thick.jpg

The last time he didnt have a contract between 97 and 04 I went to see him twice. Both setlists were excellent and both venues were too. Full of fans as he hadnt released anything for years. You could pay on the night as they were not sold out.

The setlist at the second was

I want the one I cant have/Suedehead/Little Man what now/hairdresser/Speedway/Crashing Bores (It was fresh the first time!!), fOTGTD/ Jack the Ripper/Everday is like Sunday/Alsation Cousin/Sister I'm Poet/ Meat is Murder/Hand in Glove/IBEH/There's a light

If he goes back to varying setlists like this then I'm all for no record deal.

That night will never be bettered for me.........

Can I just point out that Starbucks gave up on their 'record company' experiment ages ago, so Moz won't be signing with them unless he pays by cheque for his skinny latte.

it's actually quite different this time.
the sales for YOR have been pretty disastrous.
Quarry sold 1.2 million, worldwide, ROTT about 600,000 and YOR between 200-300,000.
with that kind of trajectory, he'll be very lucky to get a conventional deal with a major label, unless he waits 4 or 5 years to try and recreate the pre-Quarry hype.

What a worrying thought! Pre-Quarry hype was pretty full-on and back then it seemed that Morrissey was unstoppable.

What will happen next?

All this, assuming he wants a contract.

Why would he point this out on his official website if he has no desire to be signed and/or to have people talking about it?

I am not surprised about this, after all, it was announced when he first was transferred from Sancturay to Decca/Universal. It was a two album deal, the greatest hits and apparently Years of Refusal. Swords is what I am confused about, where does it fit with the original deal? Who knows, who cares? LOL.

As for The Attack imprint, its not Moz's Music Label, it's Universal imprint. It became Universal's when they bought The Sanctuary Records Group.

My guess is any hope of him re-signing a new and extended deal with Universal went out the window when Moz decided to leave Decca USA and move to Universal's US Lost Highway Division, as he said, he was very unhappy with their promotion of the Greatest Hits album in the US, and we all know how much he hates it when things don't go his way, LOL.

Also, remember the folks at Decca/Universal were very happy to have Moz on board so I think it was Moz who decided to leave Universal, not the other way around but then again, no one really knows?

Warner might come knocking on his door, after all, they wanted him last time around. Quite frankly, I think he should release his music on his own, he certainly has enoug clout financially to do so but I doubt that will happen, either.

Only time will tell what will be his next move.

BTW, Swords has been released in the US but onlythe standard edition it appears, I tried to get the 2 CD set edition at Amoeba and they didn't have it so I ordered my copy from Amazon.co.uk :guitar:

Warner might come knocking on his door, after all, they wanted him last time around.

Yeah, but that was before the fuss over the "Live At The Hollywood Bowl" DVD.

BTW, Swords has been released in the US but onlythe standard edition it appears, I tried to get the 2 CD set edition at Amoeba and they didn't have it

The 2-cd edition is only out on November the 17th in North America. Same with the LP.

Stephane

:guitar:
Yeah, but that was before the fuss over the "Live At The Hollywood Bowl" DVD.

The 2-cd edition is only out on November the 17th in North America. Same with the LP.

Stephane

Thanks for the headsup about the Swords Limited Edition, :)

Financially speaking, its would be a good fit for Warner to sign him since they now have control over The Smiths' back catalogue and his solo catalogue in the US and Canada. The question here is, would Moz be interested in signing with them? I hope so, this way the Live At the Hollywood Bowl DVD would finally see the light of day. And who knows, they may even remastered his solo back catalogue with extra songs at long last. One can only hope, :guitar:

My guess is any hope of him re-signing a new and extended deal with Universal went out the window when Moz decided to leave Decca USA and move to Universal's US Lost Highway Division, as he said, he was very unhappy with their promotion of the Greatest Hits album in the US, and we all know how much he hates it when things don't go his way, LOL.

Is that really how things went down?:confused: I thought "YOR" was not going to be released in the U.S., and it took Morrissey bringing in Irving Azoff to make that happen? Am I incorrect? Here is one story I found on Billboard.com, it doesn't mention Morrissey choosing Lost Highway due to Decca's poor promotion of his "Greatest Hits" compilation:

http://www.billboard.com/search/?Nt...s-u-s-deal-plots-spring-tour-1003923529.story

"Morrissey has inked a U.S. deal with Lost Highway for the release of his new album, "Years of Refusal," Billboard can reveal. Due Feb. 17, the project will be issued in conjunction with the former Smiths frontman's own Attack imprint.

Lost Highway is an intriguing destination for Morrissey, as it is most commonly associated with roots- and country-leaning acts such as Ryan Adams, Willie Nelson, Lyle Lovett and Lucinda Williams. The label is also the U.S. home for Van Morrison and Elvis Costello.

"Refusal" will be supported by an extensive North American tour, including shows in three different New York venues (Bowery Ballroom, Webster Hall, Carnegie Hall).

The album was previewed for media last week in London, from where Polydor will handle the international release. First single "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" arrives Feb. 9; guitar legend Jeff Beck guests on the track "Black Cloud.""

I've been at college the entire week so have only just saw this. Crazy stuff. :straightface:

If Morrissey wants a record contract he will get one. He won't have millions thrown at him, but then I don't think he ever has. He seems to record quite cheaply and deliver on time and sells a respectable amount. He is also a prestige artist so a lot of record companies will be happy to give him a small deal even if he doesn't make them any money. It looks good on their roster.

But my impression is he's winding down at the moment and will probably take a break.

I don't buy the story that he struggled for years to get a contract last time. I don't think he had the desire to have one. Again, I think he needed time out.

For all his protestations about his shyness, and I do beleieve he is shy in social situations, he craves the adulation he recieves from his fans and also from the general public. It is for this reason that I don't think Moz can just hang it up. If he could he would have done so durinf his LA wilderness years. Those tours he undertook must have been his decision, in 99 and 02 he didn't have any new product to plug he just loves being onstage. Although, I must admit that a world without Morrissey doesn't bear thinking about in my opinion. There is one more question that should be asked though; Is there a record label out there that Morrissey at some point in the past hasn't upset, turned down or split less than amicably from?

I would have to agree with both these posts, especially the emboldened part.

Back
Top Bottom