Morrissey at Culture Club concert - Hollywood Bowl - Aug 25, 2023

This was posted on dimeadozen.org, a file sharing site for concert recordings. According to a commenter:

"I was there too! Very good show and Lulu was amazing. Morrissey sat in a garden box right in front of me for about 10 minutes until he was brought up closer."

I can't find anything on social media, but I'm confident @FWD will find something to verify.

The official Culture Club IG posted a nice clip with Lulu singing To Sir, With Love:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is something about Boy George that I really can't stand. Anyone else get that impression? Can't put my finger on it.
Well he did kidnap a rent boy and chain him to a radiator and beat him with a chain or something like that. I tend to not like sexual deviants.

I was there. Berlin was great - very authentic to their sound. I was a bit disappointed in Culture Club. They played everything I wanted to hear but with these jazzy, cruiseship-style arrangments I didn't enjoy. Their cover of "The Man Who Sold the World" with Lulu singing was very good. Actually a few covers in the set.

He looks like an overweight lesbian on his way to a gym in the wild west.

I was there. Berlin was great - very authentic to their sound. I was a bit disappointed in Culture Club. They played everything I wanted to hear but with these jazzy, cruiseship-style arrangments I didn't enjoy. Their cover of "The Man Who Sold the World" with Lulu singing was very good. Actually a few covers in the set.

I have seen them a few times in the last several years. Your description of "cruiseship-style arrangements" is spot on! I would have loved to hear George sing the ballad "That's The Way". Did his voice hold out? Or did he get some help from some Divas?

George said nice things about Moz when he was on im a celebrity so Moz invited him as a VIP to the Hammersmith gig where he hung out with the Casas and so George invited Moz to his gig. So now it’s back to Moz to invite George somewhere.

George said nice things about Moz when he was on im a celebrity so Moz invited him as a VIP to the Hammersmith gig where he hung out with the Casas and so George invited Moz to his gig. So now it’s back to Moz to invite George somewhere.
I would hope it’s less formal than what you’ve described; a never-ending loop of inviting each other to gigs. You make it sound like one of Hyacinth Bucket’s candle-light suppers (albeit, while Hyacinth has Royal Doulton with hand-painted periwinkles, George has an electrician chained to a radiator in the upstairs bathroom).

I have seen them a few times in the last several years. Your description of "cruiseship-style arrangements" is spot on! I would have loved to hear George sing the ballad "That's The Way". Did his voice hold out? Or did he get some help from some Divas?
The only one that seemed true to the original was "Karma Chameleon." Overall his voice sounded a bit blown out and strained. I still had a good time.

I know Boy has always loved and supported Morrissey. It sounds like it was a fun night. I’m sure he really enjoyed it and maybe Moz really likes him. I think that’s great.

Seems a bit strange that Alison Martino says Lulu's appearance was a great surprise and yet Morrissey was there specifically to see her, as if he knew in advance that she'd be there. I don't know if he's friends with her or Boy George. I could understand if Morrissey was friends with him back in the day when Boy George was cool and gorgeous, but now not so much. Lulu is a great link to the '60s, but I never have liked her really. (BTW, I think anyone who isn't female or trans should stay out of that fight!)

I watched this programme about Lulu again as Morrissey makes a few contributions. At 20:33 she's singing 'here's to you, Maggie' to Margaret Thatcher. I just knew she was a wrong 'un!

I watched this programme about Lulu again as Morrissey makes a few contributions. At 20:33 she's singing 'here's to you, Maggie' to Margaret Thatcher. I just knew she was a wrong 'un!
I wouldn't write her off just for that. There's a long list of celebs who liked Thatcher - Kenneth Williams, Kenny Everett, Eric Morecambe, Barbara Windsor, Petula Clark, Bobby Moore.

I wouldn't write her off just for that. There's a long list of celebs who liked Thatcher - Kenneth Williams, Kenny Everett, Eric Morecambe, Barbara Windsor, Petula Clark, Bobby Moore.
Okay, I'll try to separate the artist from her politics!

Back
Top Bottom