Modern Drummer Podcast Ep.5: Brendan Buckley - Morrissey mentions (March 29, 2024)

David Frangioni sat down with Brendan Buckley at the MDHOF to catch up and discuss drums, music, professionalism, business and more. Check it out!

Interesting Morrissey segment from 09:40 (recorded in Florida circa October, '23).
Says he replaced Matt Walker as he couldn't do a set of dates.
Regards,
FWD.

“And how is Morrissey to work with?”

“—great. He’s great.”

This guy must be a dream for Morrissey. Was he still playing drums at the most recent dates?

Still blows my mind that he's 50 years old.

combination of good genes, jiujitsu, sunny environment, healthy lifestyle, and a disciplined positive outlook on life, may be the reasons. Could be wrong.

The funniest part...

Brendan: "The musical director [Jesse Tobias] reached out to me through word-of-mouth and called me up. "Are you available for this set of dates [Las Vegas 2021]?" I said, "I am." He goes, "Great, I'll see you at the first rehearsal." There was no audition, no anything. I'm like, "Do you want me to send a video?" He's like "Nah, my friends told me you'll do a great job."

That's Jesse for you lol

The funniest part...

Brendan: "The musical director [Jesse Tobias] reached out to me through word-of-mouth and called me up. "Are you available for this set of dates [Las Vegas 2021]?" I said, "I am." He goes, "Great, I'll see you at the first rehearsal." There was no audition, no anything. I'm like, "Do you want me to send a video?" He's like "Nah, my friends told me you'll do a great job."

That's Jesse for you lol

Nah. That’s Brendan’s good reputation.

combination of good genes, jiujitsu, sunny environment, healthy lifestyle, and a disciplined positive outlook on life, may be the reasons. Could be wrong.

Yup, it's amazing what looking after yourself can do. There will be many factors, as you say, but I would never have guessed he was that age! Can take years off you when you try to keep yourself as healthy as you can. Drumming will be brilliant exercise, too.

I'm currently attempting to lose weight to get myself in a healthier state. The treadmill will hopefully be a worthwhile household addition as it means I don't have to leave the house to exercise which is perfect for me. 😆

I honestly thought he was in his early 30s. Absolutely incredible that he’s 50.

Yup, it's amazing what looking after yourself can do. There will be many factors, as you say, but I would never have guessed he was that age! Can take years off you when you try to keep yourself as healthy as you can. Drumming will be brilliant exercise, too.
Not only can playing drums be considered exercise. Playing any instrument is also a form of meditation, as most focused creative acts are. And the benefits of meditation also plays into how the body ages. But of course, not the only influence.
I'm currently attempting to lose weight to get myself in a healthier state. The treadmill will hopefully be a worthwhile household addition as it means I don't have to leave the house to exercise which is perfect for me. 😆

yes. Whatever works for you is the best. Start with short duration workouts at first and keep to a schedule if possible.

Not only can playing drums be considered exercise. Playing any instrument is also a form of meditation, as most focused creative acts are. And the benefits of meditation also plays into how the body ages. But of course, not the only influence.

yes. Whatever works for you is the best. Start with short duration workouts at first and keep to a schedule if possible.

Agree with the exercise stuff, I’m not perfect by any means and I drink too much but I’ve run 5k 4 /5 days a week since I was 16 and I still weigh the same as I did when I was 20. The thing I have noticed though is that you do get slower with age, in my 20’s to 40’s I ran it in 20 mins in my 50’s it was 30 mins and now it’s 35 mins which is a pisser.

Last edited:
Seems to be a part of the culture there, or use to be, no?
To me, a European, American drinking culture is pretty strange (obviously influenced by pop culture). It’s either watery and weak beer or heavy liquor. And you always drive to the bar (and back). Is this prejudice or is there any truth to it?

Watched the Shakira pop-up show in Times Square and thought how well Brendan fitted in with everything. Felt weird after getting so used to him with Moz. Like seeing an ex with someone else.
Is that strange? I still haven't had my first tea of the day...
Brendan_ShakiraTimesSquarePopUpShow2024.jpg

Last edited:

Drumming has a measurable effect on the physiology. The mind / body / spirit connection is powerful stuff.

Back
Top Bottom