"Kegs between legs"; poetic genius or Morrissey's worst lyric?

What do you think of the "kegs between legs" lyrics on Dear God Please Help Me?

• Poetic genius; one of Morrissey's best ever lyrics

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • A pretty good lyric

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • Don't really mind/no strong feeling

Votes: 29 26.9%
  • A pretty bad lyric

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • Really horrible; one of Morrissey's worst ever lyrics

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • My feelings are not captured in any of these options. Maurice E, please try harder next time.

Votes: 11 10.2%

• Total voters
With me it's like this: If I imagine it's all about a woman, it makes me puke.
Now, if we're talking about a man, it's ok honey go ahead and describe.

I can not tolerate the idea of Moz and a woman. Not even if it was me.
I prefer him to be alone!

Why? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. :mad:

Maybe I'm not being fair, I'll let him get away with "bar" and "bar" because later it is brilliant:
Beware !
I bear more grudges
Than lonely high court judges
When you sleep
I will creep
Into your thoughts
Like a bad debt
That you cant pay
Take the easy way
And give in

But "knee" and "knee" never really improves.....
with a homeless chihuahua
you cooed for an hour

NO! TURN IT OFF!!!!

I let him get away with "bar" and "bar" because he uses the words in different senses, the building vs. the bar itself, and that's funny in a very dry Mozzish way.

That whole verse is dodgily rhymed, I think. "Part" and "not" are equally dubious. But hell. If it works...

You don't have to tiptoe -- it's a really interesting interpretation that I hadn't thought of. I agree it's probably not intentional -- the mix of sex and suicide bombing would be queasy for Morrissey even at his most controversial. Then again...

Someone ask Moz about this alternate subtext in the next interview or true-to-you q&a, okay?

I don't want to offend anyone, and I'm not trying to treat a serious subject too lightly, but with the political atmosphere we're in, I couldn't help thinking of that line literally, as if it was sung by a suicide bomber. It goes along with the Middle East interpretation of Far Off Places.

Now, I KNOW that is not what he meant, but it is the literal interpretation. Especially, followed by "dear God, please help me" like he's a fanatic. I know, I'm stupid, that's not what it means, I don't deserve to listen to his music, and so forth. Thank you.

I HATE it. This song minus that line, the hand on my knee line, and the spreading your legs line it would be a great song. Instead, it makes me cringe.

Here's a good one: Nuts 'neath my guts.

Back
Top Bottom