"Kegs between legs"; poetic genius or Morrissey's worst lyric?

What do you think of the "kegs between legs" lyrics on Dear God Please Help Me?

• Poetic genius; one of Morrissey's best ever lyrics

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • A pretty good lyric

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • Don't really mind/no strong feeling

Votes: 29 26.9%
  • A pretty bad lyric

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • Really horrible; one of Morrissey's worst ever lyrics

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • My feelings are not captured in any of these options. Maurice E, please try harder next time.

Votes: 11 10.2%

• Total voters

Maurice E

Well, in the entire history of Mozdom, I don't think the reviews for an album have ever centred so much around one lyric; yes it's those kegs!

There's been lots of comment on the lyric but I wondered what the general view was, so how about a quick poll?
I'll try and make the options reasonably objective...

comic.gif

Worst Morrissey lyric ever.

it's TERRIBLE

It's really laughable.....HA, HA, HA, HA....OHHH!!!

Cringe-worthy.

--jeniphir

According to mozmic dancer, explosive kegs is inspired by a Patti Smith song:

"The Patti Smith song that comes to my mind is "Hey, Joe" from Morrissey's Under the Influence where she talks about the "barbed wire between her legs, ya know.
Is there another song?"

In this case genius steals to me.

According to mozmic dancer, explosive kegs is inspired by a Patti Smith song:

"The Patti Smith song that comes to my mind is "Hey, Joe" from Morrissey's Under the Influence where she talks about the "barbed wire between her legs, ya know.
Is there another song?"

That's utter nonsense. Sure, he's a well-known Patti Smith fan, but just because both lines mention things between legs, it doesn't mean that there was any influence. Who's to say that he wasn't inspired by Black Flag's Loose Nut, with its "A bolt of lightning between my legs"? Or any of the numerous other songs that discuss things being between legs?

I thought it was funny. I don't understand the big deal about it, really. It's not like he said, "I haven't f***ed in 24 years".

'boots the grime in your crotch dear' from Sheila take a bow

that was more than 20 years ago, so It doesn't disturb me at all

[yea I made the Sheila line a bit shorter, and not precise]

'boots the grime in your crotch dear' from Sheila take a bow

that was more than 20 years ago, so It doesn't disturb me at all

[yea I made the Sheila line a bit shorter, and not precise]

Um, it's 'boot the grime of this world in the crotch, dear' :p

That's utter nonsense. Sure, he's a well-known Patti Smith fan, but just because both lines mention things between legs, it doesn't mean that there was any influence. Who's to say that he wasn't inspired by Black Flag's Loose Nut, with its "A bolt of lightning between my legs"? Or any of the numerous other songs that discuss things being between legs?

Thank you very much for the links of the songs contain "between legs".
However, "Hey, Joe" seems to have stronger influence on "Dear God, Please Help Me".
Other Patti Smith song "Kimberly" is also regarded as the influence on "The Hand Rocks The Cradle" which shows "Hey, Joe" is likely to be the inspiration to the lyrics.

I don't really get why people object so much to this line. Morrissey has always written purposely clumsy lines to get people's attention and provoke a reaction. He has always put in purposely "ugly" phrases too. If you object to this line it seems to me you object to Morrissey's lyrical style.

I don't really get why people object so much to this line. Morrissey has always written purposely clumsy lines to get people's attention and provoke a reaction. He has always put in purposely "ugly" phrases too. If you object to this line it seems to me you object to Morrissey's lyrical style.

Well, I certainly think "ugly" is the correct adjective. I cannot listen to this song solely because of this lyric. It horrifies me how someone so eloquent and witty can put "explosive kegs" into a song. Actually, the *whole* song agitates me. I MUCH prefer something like Come Back to Camden... tasteful.

Back
Top Bottom