Because of my poor education

Ever the contradiction, Morrissey isn't he ?

For all that Shame is a effortlessly superior b-side , I've now listened to BOMPE about 10 times and still can't isolate the melody (vocal or musical) that he repeatedly says is critical to all he produces.

Bizarrely, it whets the appetite for the b-sides yet to come.

Jamie - name a Jesse tune that is worse than this .

Ever the contradiction, Morrissey isn't he ?

For all that Shame is a effortlessly superior b-side , I've now listened to BOMPE about 10 times and still can't isolate the melody (vocal or musical) that he repeatedly says is critical to all he produces.

Bizarrely, it whets the appetite for the b-sides yet to come.

Jamie - name a Jesse tune that is worse than this .

Erm, all of them? Certainly the two new plodders that gum up the works at the end of YoR.

To each his own, but there are a few really nice vocal AND musical melodies going on here, so you may want to take your ear to the shop. ;) That's some of nicest piano playing ever heard on a Morrissey song - sort of Steve Nieve-esque.

Did anyone hear Morrissey go a little bit Bohemian Rhapsody there for a second?

What I find disappointing about Morrissey's work with Jesse is the one dimension of it all. Meanwhile, Alain is quietly becoming a pretty accomplished pop composer. There is a breadth and depth in his work - from Seasick, Yet Still Docked to Dear God Please Help Me, from Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself to Life is a Pigsty - that is nowhere in evidence thus far in Jesse's output. Let me guess - he's just holding all the good ones back for his third Morrissey album, due in 2011?

Cheers,
Jamie

Erm, all of them? Certainly the two new plodders that gum up the works at the end of YoR.

Two top quality b-sides from Alain, certainly the equal of "Sorry Doesn't Help". Without being superior to anything on the album, they wouldn't be out of place either.

"Shame..." is the more unusual with its 80s leanings and subtle Smiths nods: the harmonica and the How Soon Is Now intro/outro... while "Because..." is the more traditional Moz piano ballad, with - like "Mama..." - some pronounced Queen-esque tendencies. Nice piano, yes. Nice lyrics too.

Neither is as good as "I'm Ok By Myself". Or, say, "You Have Killed Me". Or, say, "In The Future..." But it's not a case of Alan vs Jesse here! They're both on the same side!

Two top quality b-sides from Alain, certainly the equal of "Sorry Doesn't Help". Without being superior to anything on the album, they wouldn't be out of place either.

"Shame..." is the more unusual with its 80s leanings and subtle Smiths nods: the harmonica and the How Soon Is Now intro/outro... while "Because..." is the more traditional Moz piano ballad, with - like "Mama..." - some pronounced Queen-esque tendencies. Nice piano, yes. Nice lyrics too.

Neither is as good as "I'm Ok By Myself". Or, say, "You Have Killed Me". Or, say, "In The Future..." But it's not a case of Alan vs Jesse here! They're both on the same side!

Moz said, fairly recently, that he thought the Smiths could have been as successful as Queen.
Perhaps, with the Quuen-esque vocal on 'Because' (which I've yet to hear), he's hoping to give Brian May the 'Jeff Beck legendary guest guitarist' slot on the next album!

Moz said, fairly recently, that he thought the Smiths could have been as successful as Queen.
Perhaps, with the Quuen-esque vocal on 'Because' (which I've yet to hear), he's hoping to give Brian May the 'Jeff Beck legendary guest guitarist' slot on the next album!

You never know, he may choose Johnny Marr...

Does Alain know that?

I didn't say I disliked everything Jesse has done - as a whole, it just doesn't compare. To each his own, but I think the last two songs on YoR just drone. The Sweet and Tender Hooligan cribbing didn't help the last song either.

I do think I Just Want the Boy to Be Happy is one of the most reprehensible pieces of music to which Morrissey has put a pen or vocal.

It's all a matter of taste, end of the day. If you like it and it makes you happy, great. It just doesn't rock my boat to any discernible degree.

Cheers,
Jamie

Just posting to say (if it's not been said already) that you can now actually get it in Dublin. Grafton Street HMV now has the two. They only had two of each left there today. Piss poor singles section these days!

I was in Dublin yesterday and couldn't find them anywhere on Henry Street. I like to think it's because of the obvious massive demand for them, rather than poor selection. :D

Back
Top Bottom