The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 240: BECAUSE OF MY POOR EDUCATION

How do you rate Because Of My Poor Education?

• Total voters
More than half the vote went to good/really good, so I don't think there's much hatred about.

I gave it six: okay. It's a song of really great moments (those you mentioned, in particular) but it just didn't come together for me.

That said, I have a habit of not listening to songs for years because I'm simply not drawn to them, then I'll hear them by chance one day and think "Wow, this is amazing! How could I have been so wrong?"

I recently had that experience with 'America is Not the World'. I'd previously dismissed it as Morrissey trying to be overtly political and falling on his face. The song seemed awkward and naive. And then I heard it on the radio and it seemed so beautiful, precisely because it was so awkard and naive. It's such a loving and honest song. When he sings, "For haven't you me with you now?" it's so tender and gently self-deprecating, it makes me smile every time I hear it.

Yes I suppose you're right - i was just going by the comments really. I don't think it's a great morrissey song but it's an excellent B-side IMO.

I agree that line 'For haven't you me with you now?' is sung beautifully. i always thought he should use the second half of that song, ending with the 'and i love you'...as the start or ending of another song on his live set.

Classic Moz-ballad type of tune. Me likes. An 8.

Back
Top Bottom