America is not the Smiths

How successful would the Smiths have been if they had been an American band?

• Total voters

mcrickson

Reckless Endangerment
Question posed: Do you think the Smiths would have been as/less/more successful were they an American band? For sake of the question, lets assume that everything about the Smiths was the same otherwise -- that is, Morrissey's voice (minus the British accent) and musical/poetic influences, Johnny Marr's brand of guitar playing, all the songs and albums (though I suppose The Queen is Dead and certain songs would have to be altered to have American meanings), and obvious things that I am forgetting to mention. And as much of I love bashing America (this coming from an American), lets NOT make this a thread for America-bashing -- its rather tedious when its not the point of the question.

And I hope none of you are too terribly offended by this -- its just been buzzing about my mind, wondering if the Smiths would have conquered the world if perhaps they stemmed out of, oh, say, Manchester, PA :p
The Queen would be rolling in her grave! :D

Hmmm...Smiths' uniqueness is directly link to Britishness.

In 80s Replacements, REM, Sonic Youth etc. emerged from the States.

The Smiths rose to prominance during a very difficult political and socio-economic time in the UK. I was born slap-bang in the middle of the 80's into a mining community and saw with my own eyes the devastating effect on it at the hands of Thatcher's government. While many other 1980's bands were glossing over these issues, The Smiths were the only ones to address them so effectively and relate to the man on the street. They may be appreciated all over the world but that very British combination of realism and self-depricating humour could have only been born at the mouth and hands of 4 lads from Manchester.

So no, I don't think The Smiths would have worked as an American band.

american bands are often successful in the whole world, while the same can't be said about british bands. i think.

Huh?

What about Duran Duran, Culture Club, Human League, Soft Cell, Depeche Mode etc who sold millions of copies in the States in 80s?

You should re-read mc's original post. :rolleyes:

you can roll your eyes, i don't give a buck :D
my true thoughts are in my previous post.

The biggest bands in the world are English, for the most part. Sometimes it doesn't seem that way because the NME will try to tell you that some band is hot when they are only known in England.

Given how un-American The Smiths were, they were remarkably popular here, thanks to Morrissey's quotability and the coverage they got in rock magazines despite having zero radio play.

I'm sorry but uh... how could The Smiths be ANYTHING other than Northerners? It made them who they were. It permeated every part of music and lyric they ever created. If they were here they would not have sounded anything like The Smiths we know and love.

Mozza's persona and lyrics are so quintessentially British in my view that I find it quite hard to imagine what an American equivalent would have been like.

Question posed: Do you think the Smiths would have been as/less/more successful were they an American band? For sake of the question, lets assume that everything about the Smiths was the same otherwise -- that is, Morrissey's voice (minus the British accent) and musical/poetic influences, Johnny Marr's brand of guitar playing, all the songs and albums (though I suppose The Queen is Dead and certain songs would have to be altered to have American meanings), and obvious things that I am forgetting to mention. And as much of I love bashing America (this coming from an American), lets NOT make this a thread for America-bashing -- its rather tedious when its not the point of the question.

And I hope none of you are too terribly offended by this -- its just been buzzing about my mind, wondering if the Smiths would have conquered the world if perhaps they stemmed out of, oh, say, Manchester, PA :p
The Queen would be rolling in her grave! :D

The Smiths were a uniquely British band. Silly thread.

Mozza's persona and lyrics are so quintessentially British in my view that I find it quite hard to imagine what an American equivalent would have been like.

This guy:

400_rollingstonecover_kidrock_071003_rollingstone.jpg

What a ridiculous poll to post

I have to agree with the others here that the gist of the question is pointless.

it's not pointless at all, apart from the beatles, rolling stones and coldplay who else has gained massive success in the us?
when a band is #1 in the uk charts, is it always #1 in the us or the rest of the world? no, not all.
but all the shit that's popular in america eventually becomes popular over here too.

Back
Top Bottom