posted by davidt on Thursday October 30 2008, @10:00AM
2-J writes:
The new compilation The Sound Of The Smiths will be available on iTunes from its release date and iTunes are offering bonus tracks with the deluxe version.

The bonus tracks are 'Rubber Ring' and 'The Draize Train', and a video of the Derek Jarman film 'The Queen Is Dead'.

Additionally if you place a pre-order for the deluxe edition for the album before release date you will receive the video for Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before.
An anonymous person sends the link/excerpt:

Robert Smith Interview Part 2 - NME.com

Didn’t you have a run-in with Morrissey back in the '80s?

“Unfortunately he was asked a question about people called Smith. It was me, Patti Smith and someone else called Smith who was famous at that time, who he would shoot. One would have expected at the time, him being a non-meat eating vegetarian pacifistic sort of guy, to say ‘I choose to shoot myself’ or ‘I choose to shoot no-one’ but he said ‘I’d line them all up and I’d shoot them all’. When I was told that at the time I kind of took umbrage, ‘That’s fucking nice, cunt’. I felt it was a bit unnecessary. I’d never said or done anything. So that engendered one of those tedious feuds. I’ve never met him, I’m not even sure we’ve been in the same room. I’m sure it’s the same for him, he got really aggravated at my response. I was very over the top but I felt justifiably so, having just been shot in print. It was one of those things, a mini Blur/Oasis thing. I don’t think I played along with it enough for it to become anything more. It kind of got resurrected from time to time, I think on his fansite it got reinvigorated and there have been various attempts to reignite it, but I think he’s actually said something really nice about us recently, about the fact that I’m a little bit wayward. Honestly I’ve never really had a problem. I felt it was unfair that he would shoot me. If you asked him again he might choose to shoot himself rather than me and Auntie Patti and whoever else it was.”
M writes:
Alain Whyte contributed 3 songs to "Chuck in Real Life", episode 7 of Gossip Girl's second season, which aired on October 20. The songs are called "City Nights", "NYC Streets", and "Martini Lounge". And how did Alain Whyte end up on Gossip Girl? That's one secret I'll never tell. You know you love me. XOXO.
---
CRY-BABY also writes:
Last night I went to the Tiger Army show at the Grove in Anaheim, CA and for 2 songs which where Hechizo De Amr and twenty flight rock Alain Whyte joined Tiger Army on stage and plyed the guitar while Nick 13 sang the songs. Thanks Tiger Army and special thanks to Alain Whyte for making my night
Kerri Koch writes:
Passions Just Like Mine is a documentary film telling the story of Latino music fans in the greater Los Angeles area whose lives have been utterly transformed by the words, music, and lifestyle of British pop star Morrissey.
It will be screening on:
November 13th at 8pm (doors 7:30)
The Vine Theater
6321 Hollywood Blvd
LA,CA 90028
$5
www.urbancowgirlproductions.com
kewpie sends the link (via Morrissey reddit) posted by moz'art girl in the forums (original post):

Artist Gordon donates work to Maggie’s - The Herald

Excerpt:

The leading Scottish artist Douglas Gordon has donated an artwork worth at least £44,000 to cancer caring charity Maggie's.

The Glasgow-born artist, the first Scot to win the Turner Prize, has donated a work depicting the singer Morrissey, entitled Self-Portrait of You + Me (Steven Morrissey), to the campaign.

It will be displayed tomorrow night as The Herald's Friends of Maggie's campaign hosts the Scottish charity gala screening of Quantum of Solace, the new James Bond film, at the Cineworld cinema in Renfield Street, Glasgow

...Gordon, born in Glasgow in 1966 and raised in Maryhill, said: "I did do a series of portraits as myself as the Bond girls that would have been ideal for this auction. Unfortunately they have all sold out, but there was this Morrissey picture, and he is still an icon.

"I made it in New York at about this time last year, so I hope it gets a good price."
Eric writes:
Just noticed that the staff at the AV Club have listed their worst concert experiences and Mozzer is mentioned twice! (Nathan Raban, Josh Modell) Here's the link:

AVQ&A: Worst concert experiences
An anonymous person writes:
Great hillbilly version of Jack The Ripper
Flatbroke Trio Myspace page
vivabob sends the link of the original news on the Twilight Sad Myspace page.

mattorefice sends the link:

Twilight Sad Bundle Smiths, Joy Division, YYYs Covers - Pitchfork

With their dates in support of Mogwai starting tonight (October 27), the Twilight Sad have made the gigs more enticing by bringing along a new, limited edition release called The Twilight Sad Killed My Parents and Hit the Road.

The record collects instrumentals, live tracks, and covers, some of which are previously unreleased. Those covers include songs originally by the Smiths, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and, surprise surprise, Joy Division.

Speaking of covers, the one adorning Killed My Parents-- pictured above-- parodies Raymond Pettibon's iconic artwork for Sonic Youth's Goo. Who knew these guys had a sense of humor?

The Twilight Sad Killed My Parents and Hit the Road:

01 Walking for Two Hours (live)
02 That Summer, At Home I Had Become the Invisible Boy (live)
03 Untitled #28
04 Cold Days From the Birdhouse (live)
05 And She Would Darken the Memory (live)
06 Twenty Four Hours [Joy Division cover]
07 The Weather Is Bad
08 Half a Person [The Smiths cover]
09 Untitled #27
10 Modern Romance [Yeah Yeah Yeahs cover]
11 I Was Hoping the Winter Was Over
Flrn writes:
Berlin nu-jazz soulsters Jazzanova covered "Dial-A-Cliché" for their new album "Of all the things" - out last friday von Universal Jazz. And believe it or not, it's rather good.

You can find a link in the forum's download / bootleg section.
---
right-click the link in the post to get to the download page- Rapidshare adds the .mp3 extension to the page which the web player incorrectly parses as an mp3 file.
M writes:
The Smiths on Gossip Girl...er sort of.
This time, on episode 8 of Gossip Girl (aired October 27), Tatu's version of How Soon Is Now played as Jenny Humphrey declared, "I LOVE this song!"

http://cwtv.com/thecw/ggmusic
---
The Tatu cover on Gossip Girl was also mentioned in this article, link from Moz On Moonshine:

More Adventures in Bad Morrissey/Smiths Covers in Bizarre Places - Washington Post
Kewpie sends the link (via Morrissey reddit):

Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz is Mr Versatile - AdelaideNow

Excerpt:

"The best thing I every heard Morrissey say in my entire life was if you read the way people think about you, the good things they say about you and how they love you you're forced to understand they way people hate you and belittle you and tear you apart. Therefore read none of it, and that's what I've chosen to do."
Today's News | October 31 | October 29  >

[ home | terms of service ]