posted by davidt on Thursday June 14 2007, @12:00PM
Uncleskinny writes:
Johnny Marr interview discussed in this thread on the forums...where I also posted the full text of the interview.

Original Post by Maurice E:

It's a pretty good piece.
Marr banging on about the Smiths for about 90% of the interview. Funny how he never mentions Electronic even though he was in the band for 10 years...
A couple of indirect digs at Moz; Marr says he would never wear a tie on stage!

Talks about There is a Light and How Soon is Now quite a lot. The '6 things I'll never do' includes;
-lend a drummer my money
-reform the Smiths
-allow my music to be involved with advertising McDonalds or any meat product

On the split he says;
"In the last year of the Smiths, I was stuck with a load of ideas and nowhere to play them. So I disbanded the group."

All in all it's a pretty interesting read. Marr comes across as witty and articulate;
"I've got secrets and insights into the whole pantheon of rock'n'roll that belies a man of my tender age. And I'm pretty good with a guitar."

His favourite concert was The Smiths at Salford Uni in 1986 although he claims "I doubt we ever played a bad show".
MARVIN MALDONADO writes:
Andy Rourke, Mike Joyce Tell Smiths' Story on DVD
Commentary from Mark E. Smith, Peter Hook, Buzzcocks' Pete Shelley, some Kaiser Chiefs guys. Trailer available.

Andy Rourke, Mike Joyce Tell Smiths' Story on DVD - Pitchfork

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FBlsTpdaxk

Coiffeur_En_Flame writes:
Q Magazine's website contains an interesting article about young talent Scott Matthews, complete with downloadable studio cover of "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side."

"Elusive is being reissued on 25 June, backed with alternate versions of tracks from debut album Passing Stranger - plus an excellent cover of The Smiths' classic The Boy With The Thorn In His Side. Stripping away the jangling guitars of the original, Matthews invests the song with the same air of ethereal sadness that made Elusive so moving."
An anonymous person writes:
In his recently published book, Gustavo Arrelleno, author of the "Ask a Mexican" column in OC weekly (and syndicated in other publications) includes a lengthy analysis of why Mexicans love Morrisey. The book includes many of his column writings as well as new insights and analysis.
An anonymous person writes:
The book will be out in July and seems to get some positive early reviews. The author is obviously a fan.

The Headmaster Ritual (Paperback) by Taylor Antrim - Amazon.com

Today's News | June 15 | June 13  >

[ home | terms of service ]