posted by davidt on Saturday December 30 2006, @01:00PM
littlecharmer writes:
Came across this Tony Visconti Autobiography on amazon. Should be of interest as it says the foreword is written by Morrissey. No release date as of yet.

Tony Visconti: the Autobiography: Bowie, Bolan and the Brooklyn Boy (Hardcover) - Amazon.co.uk
goinghome writes:
- 30: Morrissey
Ringleader of the Tormentors
Sanctuary, £11.99

"When Morrissey gets upset," said the Smiths' guitarist Johnny Marr in 1985, "I think it's just because he needs a good humping."
Twenty-one years on, this flush-faced number one album – aka "Heaven Knows I'm Mischievous Now" – suggests that Morrissey has finally taken Marr's tip.
ROTT's lyrics throb with innuendo, and while it's sometimes hard to decide whether they're witty or simply alarming ("There are explosive kegs between my legs"), the voluptuousness of the strings-laden backing leaves no doubt: Moz is in the rudest of health. Michael Deacon –

The full list.
The Goat writes:
Once again, fans of The Smiths & Morrissey descended on The Salford Lads Club last weekend prior to the G-MEX gigs.
On display at the club was a series of pictures by the artist Greg Butler, described as 'An illustrative response to the lyrics of The Smiths'.
You can view the drawings yourself at Greg's MySpace page (in pics, 16 total).

--
An anonymous person writes:
This was posted in the forums (original link), I think it deserves to be on the main page:

I recently exhibited my project, 'an Illustrative Response to the Lyrics of The Smiths' in the Salford Lads Club. If you haven't seen it already or would just like another look then the 16 images are available to see on my Myspace site at:
http://www.myspace.com/49300538

I'd be very interested to hear your comments on my work. They are even available to buy if you particularly them.
Thanks,
Greg
---

The Goat writes:
The MEN's review of Friday's G-Mex gig, published Wednesday 27th December with the delay due to the Xmas holiday.
Dario writes:
In the latest issue of GQ Magazine, with Robert DeNiro on the cover, there's an article with The Shins. The article includes a Q&A section where The Shins are asked to name their favorite albums of the year etc. One of the questions asked is to name their 5 top road albums - one of the answers given is "any Smiths album".
An anonymous person writes:
I was reading the latest House & Garden and came upon this interesting item. It was nice to see that Chloe still worked in her love for Morrissey into her new apartment. Scan:

Mike writes:
Hi,

Berlin radio "radioeins" (Link) will be broadcasting a recording of the Berlin concert on January 9.

Usually their program can be listened to as Real-stream (unless they have copyright issues...)

Looking forward to that!
Kitty3780 writes:
30/12/06 - Discussion on Honours for people in the Music Industry

Liz Kershaw invited listeners to nominate who in the music industry they thought should be given honours as Rod Stewart has been given an OBE. Naturally enough someone e mailed to say that Morrissey should have one, which Liz agreed with and said "if it was up to me, I would say, arise Sir Mozza!"

Not two minutes later another message came through saying it should be Johnny Marr being honoured too, which Liz said made two for The Smiths.

Somehow I don't see it happening for either of them, and if Morrissey ever does get one, I hope he'd refuse out of principle!

Liz Kershaw broadcasts each weekday on BBC 6Music, on Digital Radio...
Chartres writes:
In todays (29/12 2006) Göteborgs Posten there's a large and well written interwiev where the Swedish Pop Icon Håkan Hellström where he tells the story of when his older brother once came home with The Smiths album "Hatful Of Hollow" and how he since then were completely obssesed with music. His brother also introduced him to bands like The Jam and Eldkvarn. This is not the subject of the entire interview but still an important part of it.
Joan sends:

INHD NETWORK’S LONDON LIVE CELEBRATES SUCCESSFUL FIRST SEASON WITH FAN FAVORITE NEW YEAR’S EVE COUNTDOWN SPECIAL: ECLECTIC MIX OF BANDS TO ROCK NEW YEAR’S EVE

New York, NY, Dec. 20 —On December 31, London Live, the musical jewel of INHD Network’s primetime MOJO lineup, will celebrate its successful first season of delivering high intensity concerts from The Koko Club in London with a New Year’s Eve special, London Live New Year’s Countdown, 10 PM-12 midnight ET and 1 AM-3 AM ET. The show will contain the most popular concert performances—as voted on by the fans—from its first 20 shows in groundbreaking state-of-the-art high definition, 1080i picture and Dolby 5.1 sound.

The London Live series is part of INHD's new prime time programming block, called MOJO, with all new original high-def productions made exclusively for the HD audience. Beyond the musically eccentric/eclectic London Live, MOJO’s inherent intelligence, wit and flair for style can be found in shows on cuisine and spirits, high tech, finance and adventurous travel. MOJO can be seen Sundays and Wednesdays (9 PM to 12 midnight ET/PT), repeating during other select dayparts.

20 ARTISTS; 20 SONGS; 20 BLISTERING PERFORMANCES

London Live New Year’s Eve Countdown, hosted by British television personality Joe Mace, can serve as soundtrack and visual focus for any high-energy New Year’s Eve party. Rock your night with The Flaming Lips and Yeah Yeah Yeahs (who are up against each other for the 2006 “Best Alternative Album” Grammy), amidst a bevy of genre-busting bands that fans of the show voted on in a three-week period of website inter-activity (http://www.mojohd.com/shows/londonlive), resulting in the inclusion of Snow Patrol, Franz Ferdinand, Nelly Furtado, Morrissey, The Streets, Blur guitarist Graham Coxon, Paul Weller (The Jam), A-Ha, The Rifles, Craig David, Primal Scream, Placebo, Phoenix, Goldfrapp, Lost Prophets, Juanes, Matt Willis and The Zutons.

“Nowhere else, on this traditional night of revelry, will the serious music connoisseur find quite the confluence of talent that this show provides,” says David Asch, Senior Vice-President, Programming, iN DEMAND Networks (INHD’s parent company). “We are quite proud of this incredible amalgam of sound that fans of London Live have chosen as the best of the year.”

London Live is produced by 3DD Entertainment of London. Series Producer is Dominic Lobo. Executive Producers are Andrew Higgie and Dominic Saville. Executive Producer for INHD is Emilio Nunez. Siobhan Graham is Supervising Producer. Other programs on the MOJO schedule include Geared Up, Dr. Danger with Dr. Bob Arnot, Wall Street Warriors, Timeless, After Hours with Daniel, Decades, Three Sheets and Vegas Open. More series are currently in production for 2007.
Today's News | December 31 | December 29  >

[ home | terms of service ]