posted by davidt on Wednesday August 10 2005, @10:00AM
vicarinatutugal writes:
good news i think!

http://libertalia.us/news.htm

Aug.02.05: RED LIGHTNING's tour of the West Coast US has been postponed until December 2005 due to Alain Whyte being called to Rome to record and collaborate on Morrissey's new album over the next few months. In the meantime, Libertalia will continue to consider offers both new and current for this tour.

carnal artist writes:
just spotted this on Popbitch, don't know if it's true but it's an interesting rumour:

Mozbitch

Morrissey will be collaborating with Nutty Boys Madness on his next album going back to the quintessentially English sound of Piccadily Palare and Ouija Board, Ouija Board. Madness and ex-Moz Producers Langer and Winstanley have been hauled in and sessions will start in October in the UK. The reason Madness have released the Dangermen Sessions cover versions rather than their own material is that they know that collaborating with Moz will give them a monster pay out in royalties in the American market considering certain members of the band have made dodgy financial investments over the last few years. Suggs of course has been the "voice" of MFI and Norwich Union over the last few years...

charlieherocamden,
Belligerent Ghoul sends the link:Sire Celebrates 40th With Four-Disc Set - Billboard.com

Excerpt:

With its 40th anniversary looming in 2006, Sire Records will be celebrated this fall with a four-disc boxed set. Due Sept. 13 via Sire/Rhino, "Just Say Sire: The Sire Records Story" rounds up 61 tracks on three audio CDs and another 20 music videos on a DVD.

Here is the track list for "Just Say Sire"...

"This Charming Man," the Smiths
"Everyday Is Like Sunday," Morrissey
Stephane writes:
Last week-end on musical channel VH2 took place the "100 best indie songs ever" countdown.

Please note "How soon is now ?" ended n.20, "Suedehead" reached top 10 and "There is a light...", obviously, finished on the pole position.

Among the bands quoted were Blur, Pixies, Nirvana, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, The Strokes etc....
Belligerent Ghoul send the link:

Maynard's Malaise - The Smiths - ABC Newcastle, includes audio feature "These Charming Men"

Think you're depressed? Things could be worse, it could be raining, it could be the 1980's and you could be Morrissey...
xbongo writes:
Interesting article at StarOnline-eCentral about Barrie Cadogan ("Little Barrie"),
who could have been with Johnny Marr ("Healers")
but later on replaced "sick" Alain Whyte ...

Excerpt:

...Johnny Marr and Morrisey of The Smiths have both asked Cadogan to play for them. The former wanted Cadogan for Marr’s project called The Healers but he declined as Little Barrie was preparing to go into the studio to record its album.

Morrisey had better luck when he called Cadogan last year and left him a message on his phone asking him for a favour and to call him back.

“His guitarist Alain Whyte was ill and he wanted me to sub for their tour. I had about three days to learn 20 over songs and I thought I’d just do one gig with Mozza. Suddenly it was two, then three and in the end, I ended up playing 10 gigs. It was a lot of hard work.”

And there’s no denying that. But how did he manage to learn 20 over songs in three days?

“A lot of people have asked me that you know, ‘how did you do it?’ and honestly, I don’t know (laughs). I really don’t know.”
dazzak writes:
The current issue of Uncut (with Keith Richards and Paul McCartney on the cover) features both Johnny Marr and Noel Gallagher contributing to a list of their favourite things. Johnny chooses The Byrds' "Eight Miles High" to praise while Noel chooses "This Charming Man". He also mentions how he saw Moz live in Australia last year and that records like Hatful Of Hollow aren't made anymore.
goinghome writes:
A little sketch on Moz is scheduled for ‘SIMON MUNNERY'S AGM’ at Edinburgh’s Fringe Festival, The Stand Comedy Club, 5 York Place,
6th-29th AUGUST (NOT 15th)
STARTS:16:00
ENDS: 17:15
£8 / £7

Extract: "Having successfully merged with former organisations including The League Against Tedium and Alan Parker Urban Warrior, the corporate body of Simon Munnery is pleased to announce the agenda for this year’s AGM – exclusively at The Stand Comedy Club.
It will feature most - perhaps all - of:
• A sketch/playlet "The Two Thieves" in which Simon Munnery and SPECIAL GUEST ‘Booby Graphics’ play the two thieves left on their crosses after Jesus has been taken down and the crowd dispersed
• 15 minutes of NEW Alan Parker Urban Warrior rabble rousing
• Memories of Malcolm Hardee
• An impromptu singalong
• A Morrissey impression
• 3 new hymns
• All the best new jokes/poems/epithets Munnery has come up with in a year (“at least 5 minutes”, apparently)
• Toilet break
• Drum rolls
• The wearing of a musical suit
• AOCB (aka “whatever else occurs to me”)

"One of the most original and talented comics in the country"
(Observer)"

More details here.

Also “Some Girls are Bigger than Others” is on the move. Check out this link, where the current edition discusses the show in Lyric, Hammersmith, and lists dates for the subsequent Autumn "UK tour" in October, ironically if happily starting in Dublin, Ireland (never mind, with a rush and a push…!!), then on to Brighton, Manchester and Coventry.
Today's News | August 11 | August 9  >

[ home | terms of service ]