posted by davidt on Thursday August 04 2005, @11:00AM
An anonymous person writes:
PETA 25th Anniversary Gala FAQ

Morrissey is listed under Celebrities and Entertainment who are to appear on Saturday, September 10, 2005 in Hollywood. Tickets available for a mere $500 each.

---
From A Chain Of Flowers news

August 1 - From an article in "Zone 09":

Godfathers of Goth

Besides Masters of Melancholy and Kings of Doom and Gloom one of the often used nicknames for The Cure, albeit Smith himself doesn’t like it: “I’m tired to be known as a doomy goth casualty.” Also: “The press tries to portray me as a gloom-and-doom-singer. But take a look at Morrissey ( note: and here we go again… )! That man is a professional complainer!”
Belligerent Ghoul sends the link:

Morrissey's drab look by Seb Ramsey, Manchester Online

BACK IN TOWN: MozzaHEAVEN knows I'm middle-aged now...

There was a time when music legend Morrissey would rather have cut off his quiff than join shoppers in Manchester's poshest stores.

But it seems the boy from Stretford is coming of age.

The cap is more golf club than Salford lads club. And the former Smiths frontman, with albums such as The Queen Is Dead to his credit, has apparently ditched Oldham Street in favour of upmarket spots to splash the cash.

With a massive bag of perfumes and colognes from "Acqua Di Parma" at Selfridges, it certainly looks like the 46-year-old is soothing his tortured soul with a hefty dose of retail therapy.
---
Update: 08/05 15:45 GMT: scan of photo/article that appeared in the Manchester Evening News, Aug. 3, 2005 posted on the general board by Damian.
---
eatmoretoast also writes:
I hear that Morrissey's picture (wearing flat cap and glasses) (scan of pic from Naomi) is in the Aug. 3rd Sun describes him as looking like "Jim Bowen".

Non UK fans will not be familiar with Jim Bowen - he presented a game show on UK tv years back ("Bullsye")..

I'm sure that there is no resemblence - "The Sun" is an awful newspaper too..
MauriceE writes:
Retro, bearded, frumpy folksters, The Magic Numbers, (one of the UK's most hyped new bands with Mercury nomination, and debut album seemingly welded to the top 20), have introduced a wonderful version of There is a Light into their live set according to this week's NME.
Belligerent Ghoul sends the link:

Some club nights are bigger than others by Ian Jones, Manchester Online

POSSIBLY Manchester’s most talked-about clubnight, the Smiths Night at the Star and Garter has acres of internet message board text devoted to it, been featured in various broadsheets and has an entire chapter devoted to it in Dave Haslam’s dance music bible Adventures On The Wheels Of Steel.
i don't know if this has already been submitted but it's well worth listening to! Click on Steve Wright's page (BBC Radio 2) and click on Elvis sings Bagpuss!
misguided trousers writes:
...and it's about time, too!
Satyrday night at the FRISCO DISCO (yes, go ahead, wince or giggle) the two irrepressible DJs will be celebrating everything
Moz (and Marr...guess some Electronic will be in the mix)!
at the ghastly and overly urban
ARROW BAR
6th St. @ Market
Lots of sharply dressed myopic bookworms with excellent hair will be in attendence, er,..I hope
10 - 2
$3
21+
---
Sleepinglifeguard also writes:
NEW WAVE CITY - SAN FRANCISCO
Saturday, August 6, 2005, 9pm-3am
Space 550, 550 Barneveld, San Francisco
Cover: $7 before 10pm; $12 after 10pm
3 dance rooms, 5 DJs
must be 21+ with valid ID
Theme: Tribute to The Smiths