posted by davidt on Sunday August 07 2005, @12:00PM
Naomi writes:
Today's Observer (the Sunday edition of The Guardian) carries a story on Sanctuary's current financial difficulties (full report: Heaven knows British music bastion is miserable now). This much we're already aware of, but the first paragraph of the report is pretty interesting:

There's a big announcement in the offing from Morrissey, according to sources at Sanctuary Group, his record label. But even if the glum rocker's next album sells millions, there are likely to be some long faces in the Sanctuary boardroom. Heaven knows they must be miserable now - and it's got nothing to do with the former Smiths frontman.
astrosteve writes:
On RollingStone.com - Seymour Stein commenting on the Smiths and Sire Records History.

What was your first impression of the Smiths?

They were playing at a place called the ICA, very close to Buckingham Palace. Between the music and having all these gladiolas thrown at me, I wanted to sign them on the spot. A lot of people were saying "The Smiths, the Smiths, the Smiths . . . Morrissey, Morrissey, Morrissey," and I was quick to notice that this band has two superstars. Johnny Marr is a very integral part of the Smiths. Sometimes a band is built around one person, and sometimes not. But I did think Morrissey's lyrics were just amazing, great poetry. They're timeless. I said to him, "You know, you could have made it at any time in the past or in the future -- that's how strong your lyrics are. If you had been around at the beginning of the nineteenth century, you would have been a star, but your name would have been Lord Byron."
An anonymous person writes:
I just came across this on the Willy Russell web page & thought you might be interested;

"His first novel, The Wrong Boy, was published in 2000, has been translated into fifteen languages and is currently being adapted for a major television series."

There's nothing about it in the 'News' section of his web page, so I guess it won't be gracing our screens for a while yet. Hope it lives up to the book. I can't wait.

Link to web page
WhyteGrrrl writes:
A friend of mine pointed me in the right direction for this link:

http://www.redlightningmusic.com

From there you can see pictures, read a bio, and most important hear music clips from their upcoming album, which is ready to be released! Keep a watch out for when they post dates for their next gigs!
always in a coma writes:
Check out girl in a coma's my space page.. you can hear four songs done in England and produced by Boz Boorer, he also plays rhythm guitar for the girls.
[site sponsor]
Quarrynight writes:
The next Quarry night will be on Saturday August 13th at The Extra Time Bar in the Barbican, London.

We will only be able to open one floor for this night which will be in the basement where there will be live DJs and visuals on the screens.

Because it will only be one floor this time there are only 120 tickets available and they are selling so it's advisable to buy your tickets in advance using Paypal via the website.

It will start at 8pm and finish at 2am.

I am also planning a night on Saturday October 15th at a new venue and The Smyths will be playing. I am hoping for a few surprises too. Full details will be posted on here and on the website as soon as everything is confirmed.

I hope to see you there,

Thanks for your support,

Mike
Today's News | August 8 | August 6  >

[ home | terms of service ]