posted by davidt on Friday April 29 2005, @10:00AM
Torr writes:

You can click on "Who would you like to collaborate with in the near future?" to get straight to his answer to that question (though that feature doesn't work in Firefox.)

On-demand Exclusive Webcast - RealVideo
To celebrate the 10 year anniversary of Oasis' official web site, Noel Gallagher answered your questions on the 22nd of April in an exclusive live webcast in association with RealNetworks and MTV/VH1 International.
Finethen writes:

At the Hammersmith Palais, London, on Monday night, the lead singer of electro-punk outfit LCD Soundsystem inserted the first few lines of Angel Down We Go Together into the opening of one of their loudest and harshest songs of the night - an incongruous but welcome surprise.

Then during some banter with the crown he complained of being unable to understand the stronger English accents, despite having been taking elocution lessons from Morrissey.

If anyone is wondering who they are, LCD Soundsystem are on the David Letterman show this week, and are really rather good, if their kind of thing is the kind of thing you like.
Frances writes:

¡A Todos Bailar el Cover!
Seven terrible Mexican remakes of American songs
by GUSTAVO ARELLANO, Orange County Weekly

(American song?)

“Esta Luz Nunca Se Apagará”
Cover of: the Smiths’ “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out.” Artist: Mikel Erentxun. Results: Mexican rockeros have recorded great covers of gems such as Tijuana No!’s remake of “Spanish Bombs” or Los Abandoned’s punky take on Selena’s “Como la Flor.” “Esta Luz,” though, isn’t one of them—an even whinier vow of romantic death, and without the double-decker bus! Erentxun also sings a so-so “Every Day Is Like Sunday” in concert, primarily to please Morrissey: the Mancunian is known to frequent Erentxun’s Southland shows.
Lucretia writes:

Came across this interview where James St. James mentions what he did the night before.

"Well, yesterday I went up to the Santa Maria courthouse to play with the freaks and fans outside the Michael Jackson trial. It was the most fun I've had in YEARS. Just a sea of psychotic freaks. All COMPLETELY convinced of his innocence.

And they all had that needy "please molest me" look that you see in the eyes of Morrissey fans. So hot. I mean, it was TOTALLY BONKERS."

Strange comparison indeed!

James St. James interview - Ostrich Ink
An anonymous person writes:

Thought I's share this with you...

A work colleague of mine went to see Eddi Reader at the Lowry Centre in Manchester last night (27.4.05). She talked of being pursued by Morrissey in the 80s, he used to send her letters but omit his telephone number. 'God bless yer for having Morrissey' she told the audience.
Melian writes:

Just wanted to say that Morrissey's "Live at Earls Court" album got 5 out of 6 stars in the Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet.

Live til glede
Sir Alf writes:

Here's an interesting little website. Submit five songs that define you as a person. The Smiths are already no. 2 in the top twenty of "Defined Artists", and if you're very quick you'll notice that Bigmouth Strikes Again is listed on the right handside under "Latest Definitions". They must say something to somebody about their lives.

http://www.define5.com/
Becky Newman writes:

Finally someone makes a connection between a few of my favorite seemingly musically unrelated artists! On Matador's summary/bio of (ex-Pavement) Stephen Malkmus' new album, they describe him as exhibiting a "repressed serenity that recalls Morrissey fronting The Fall." Full review/bio.
janne1199 writes:

The programme has been completed for The Smiths conference which will be held in Helsinki (Finland) 14.5.2005. The programme will start at 13.00 with presentations led by eminent experts, several of them from The Manchester symposium. Colin Coulter (National University of Ireland), Hannu Kylkisalo (Humanistinen AMK), Janne Mäkelä (University of Turku), Antti Nylén and Sean Campbell (APU Cambridge) will cast some light on topics related to the lyrics and the cultural impact of The Smiths. Johnny Marr´s compositions will also be covered, guitarist Tommi Pietiläinen will give a professional guitarworkshop for the enthusiasts. Also the movie "Taste of Honey" will be shown and discussed.

There will be som some events in the spirit of The Smiths in the evening. The day will end with a party and a consert, where the Finlands finest The Joneses will cover the songs of The Smiths.

The complete programme is to be found at: www.chorus.tk

Regards from Finland!
Jan
Today's News | April 30 | April 28  >

[ home | terms of service ]