posted by davidt on Friday April 15 2005, @10:30AM
Pi Village writes:

Last Night at The Sage Gateshead, Nancy Sinatra introduced Let Me Kiss You as Being by her mentor Morrissey. She then went on to tell the audience that Morrissey chose the clothes she was wearing for the tour!
Becky Newman writes:

I heard about this conference at the Experience Music Project in Seattle and found a description of a panel which included a piece on Morrissey called "Sister, I'm A ____: Morrissey's Artful Evasions" which will be presented by the singer from the band Harvey Danger.

For more info.

2005 Pop Conference Bios/Abstracts

Panel(s):

Art School of Rock
Saturday, April 16, 2005, 5:30 - 7:00

Abstract:

"Sister, I'm A ____: Morrissey's Artful Evasions"

Sister, I’m A ______: Morrissey’s Artful Evasions. Morrissey’s reputation as a pop icon has everything to do with despair. A throaty, plaintive singing style, acutely shy off-stage persona, and song titles like “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now,” “Everyday is Like Sunday,” and “Half A Person” have reinforced this idea throughout his 20 year career as lead singer of the Smiths and solo artist. As his true fans will gladly tell you, however, the miserablism trope is only camouflage for Morrissey’s true musical character. As Colin Meloy of the Decemberists observed in a recent interview with The Believer, “‘Morrissey’ the character tends to outshine what he’s created. I think of his literary allusions, the flaws of his characters, his self referential tone… he gets a lot of criticism for being this sort of egomaniacal character in songs when in fact there’s heaps and heaps of irony there—I’m talking strata upon strata.”
Anonymous writes:

In an interview with the BBC 6 Music on Monday April 11 Bernard Butler of Suede/Tears fame, answered a fan's question:

"Q. Who has been the most influential person in your life and why?
May-ling in Trushell in Lincolnshire

Bernard: Johnny Marr"

[from BBC 6 Music link ]

Also, on the Tears official website Bernard Butler mentions that he is "listening" to the Smiths DVDs.
thirsty fists writes:

No mention of Morrissey, but Sanctuary named as a refuge for dimmed talents.

Aging Rockers Thrive in Turbulent Music Industry - Reuters
An anonymous person writes:

Watching Panorama on the BBC a couple of nights ago, on the topic of bullying, I realised they were using the guitar intro to "Irish Blood" as accompaniment to various segments. Also, on Emmerdale on ITV, there has been mention of "the Morrissey file/contract".
Brighton Rich writes:

He's at it again with his ceramics! - I have to say, although I wouldn't buy it myself - I'm starting to really like them, in a toungue in cheek kind of way. You have to have a really abstract view of the world to see a quiff as a teapot spout, good luck to the bloke.

Morrissey teapot by Gary Seymour

Ebay Item number: 7313497963

Unique life-size teapot of Morrissey. This is a prototype of a forthcoming limited edition set of 30 Morrissey teapots, part of a range including character jugs and busts. Modelled, produced and individually signed and dated by Gary Seymour, an established and highly collectable English potter. It is a contemporary likeness of Morrissey, which celebrates his ‘comeback’ year of 2004. The machine gun handle is significant as it represents the logo of Morrissey’s own record label, ‘Attack Records’ and is, of course, featured on his ‘You Are The Quarry’ album cover. The teapot is made in a semi porcelain white earthenware, slipcast from the mould Gary made of his original clay model, and hand painted and finished in a transparent glaze. This is a big piece, measuring H: 30cm D: 21cm W: 19cm.
Salford Lads' Club writes:

It has been a long time coming, but The Salford Lads' Club are finally dusting off the Gladioli to bring a Smiths Tribute show to each Auckland and Wellington, New Zealand. Preparations are going well and we are very much looking foward to uniting New Zealands' Smiths Apostles again.

The shows are:

Saturday April 30th - Galatos, Auckland - Tickets from Cosmic Corner -
Doors 8pm

Saturday May 7th - Indigo, Wellington - Tickets from Cosmic Corner -
Doors 8pm

These will be our last ever shows together as the Salford Lads' Club. The reason for this is that we are finding ourselves unable to distinguish between our nominated Smiths personas and our real personalities. Obviously this has serious implications for us all (except Adrian) and our unloved ones, so we must sadly fare thee well.

Be sure to check out the updated website, which features a superb new poster design by honorary Lad Dylan Mercer.

See you soon :)

www.salfordladsclub.com
Today's News | April 16 | April 14  >

[ home | terms of service ]