posted by davidt on Wednesday April 13 2005, @09:00AM
carnal artist writes:

This was posted on Popbitch.com this morning:

Mozzer drops in to see Nancy - Manchester Online
Dianne Bourne

CITY RETURN: Morrissey
DESPITE some earlier reports to the contrary, the M.E.N. can confirm that Morrissey did make an impromptu visit to his home city this week to watch Nancy Sinatra in concert.
Tottenham Tom writes:

In the free UK newspaper Metro today (12th April) there was a very good interview with Brett Anderson about his new band "The Tears" and his ongoing love for Morrissey and The Smiths.

When asked his thoughts about Morrissey and Marr possibly reuniting - just like he and Bernard Butler did - he said:

"It depends on what they created. If they got back together and wrote tosh, or were two guys just paying the mortgage and wanting a new swimming pool, then I wouldn't give it the time of day. They were two fantastic artists though, so if it was exciting and they were challenging each other creatively, then of course I'd listen to it."

The article also states that in 1992 they (Anderson and Butler) were being mentioned in the same breath as Morrissey and Marr - and even Lennon and McCartney!

I don't remember that much praise for Suede back in 92!
fancypants writes:

Morrissey was recently mentioned in a crazewire interview with Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy (see link below). In the interview, Wentz is asked about naming his book, "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side", and if he is a fan of the Smiths.

He replies, "Oh, absolutely. I love their music. It kind of bothers me that it's so en vogue to like The Smiths and Morrissey right now. Lately, it's kind of weird because every sixteen-year-old on the planet talks to me about them. The thing that's so bizarre to me is that Morrissey's not cool. People are obsessed with him, but he's this person that represents all these parts of me that I think are uncool and lame while, at the same time, endearing and quarky. I'm sure it won't always be cool to like him, but I always will."

The full article can be found here.
Dan writes:

Live At Earls Court drops off the Top 200 this week with 4,395 copies sold. It has sold 13,473 copies in its 2 weeks of release.

You Are The Quarry has sold 192,020 copies in the US since its release if anyone is interested.
W. Earl Piglet writes:

The electronic/experimental indie band Xiu Xiu have covered The Smiths song "Asleep" on their upcoming live album of solo acoustic songs, "Life & Live", which will be released on April 15th thru Xeng Records. In the past Xiu Xiu have recorded covers of the Joy Division/New Order song "Ceremony", and Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car".

http://www.xiuxiu.org/

---
sid_sideburn writes:

"Flowers, Sweat and Tears. And happy Birthday, you Bastard!"

Today's issue of Sueddeutsche Zeitung (scan) features a great live photograph (scan) and an article on the DVD-release. Here are some parts of the highly appraising German text:

"... there is so much love and beauty and madness in the air, that even Morrissey-haters of the worst kind and even those who don't know his works at all, find themselves lying on the floor, crying out of sheer joy. Everyday Is Like Sunday, There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - this never sounded more flamboyant and irresistible than on this night. A poet returns home and brings in the rich harvest of his life. His Manchester nickname is "fucking bastard". Morrissey is one of the best fucking bastards that we have."
Jim Rome writes:

I stumbled upon a preview of Just Another Rich Kid's new catalogue and found a strange shirt. On the front, a line from "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" is quoted and then attributed to William Shakespeare. On the back of the shirt, a quote from Shakespeare's "Othello" is printed, and then attributed to Morrissey. It's different than most Moz shirts i've seen, but still worth a mention anyway. Here's the link.
Today's News | April 14 | April 12  >

[ home | terms of service ]