posted by davidt on Tuesday April 06 2004, @08:00AM
Benton writes:

Timi Yuro died in Las Vegas on 30th March. Morrissey named her as his favourite singer in the “Meat is Murder” tour programme, and she sang the original version of “Interlude”.

obituary - The Independent

image from Continental Records

Jules sends:

Morrissey to release Munich disaster song - Ananova
10:37 Monday 5th April 2004

Morrissey is to release a new song about the Munich air disaster on the b-side of his new single.

Munich Air Disaster 1958 will be the b-side to Irish Blood, English Heart which is due out next month.

The disaster was the darkest moment in the history of Manchester United who were returning from a match in Belgrade when their plane stopped at Munich for refuelling.

The plane crashed in a blizzard on its third attempt to take off from Munich airport, killing 23 of the 43 people onboard.

Among the dead were eight of United's most promising young players - the Busby Babes - including Duncan Edwards considered the greatest young British player of his generation.

Morrisey's new single is due out on May 10 on Sanctuary Records and will be issued on two different CDs.

Munich Air Disaster 1958 is on the B-side along with The Never Played Symphonies of CD1 while It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small is on the B-side to CD2.

None of the three bonus songs on the single CDs are included on the former Smiths' frontman's new album, You Are The Quarry, due May 17, the first from Morrissey since 1997's Maladjusted.
nonesoever writes:

IBEH review on Andrew Collins' Roundtable (5:24, 1.23 MB mp3)
An anonymous person writes:

Tom Dunnes PET SOUNDS programme on Today FM radio in Ireland has IBEH as a new entry at No1 in their own weekly chart. Probably be the only No1 Moz'll get this year but nice to see him top of the pile. Check out www.todayfm.com
---
Torr also writes:

IBEH has been added to the www.xfm.co.uk playlist this week.

And the song was #3 on the "People's Choice Countdown" of www.woxy.com for the week of 03.30.2004
Guillaume Métayer sends the link:

Jools Holland Back With Norah Jones, Morrissey & More
Sound Generator, 5 Apr 2004
---
According to this previously mentioned press release, the date will be May 21.
Bowing Sheila sends:

THIS ALARMING MAN - spike magazine

'Saint Morrissey'
Mark Simpson

Ben Granger

This book is not for people who've never, even briefly, fallen under Morrissey's spell. Don't bother; it'll only convince you further of the psycho-obsessive nature of Morrissey fans in general and the author in particular.
m writes:

okay, so me & few friends decided to head up to NYC on Saturday evening to go see Mike Joyce & Andy Rourke spin. it turned out being a really fun evening! a few bands played & then later the two hit the dj booth. they spun some good tunes despite playing no smiths songs besides bigmouth strikes again 3X. i don't know what that was about. but as the night went on i kept drinking & before i know it i find myself just standing in the dj booth. i spoke with Andy Rourke & he hugged me i glanced at Joyce but decided to head back to the dance floor. as the night grew later we all grew more trashed & my one good friend as always was having the most fun. later on Mike Joyce approached the dance floor where my dear friend & him engaged in a total make out session. when i told her that joyce was old & unattractive she made a very good point. "who cares, he was in the smiths".
Marcoto writes:

"Telerama", the reference of cultural magazines in France, made a special issue for the celebration of the fiftieth birthday of rock'n'roll (Elvis recorded his first album in 1954).
For this occasion, Telerama set up a classification amongst 50 essential albums

The smiths appears n°48 with "The Queen is dead" : "Morrissey and Johnny Marr at their top : the only ones to sing a "fin de siècle" England, its lost dreams, its frustrations… Really rock pop !"

The firsts of the classification : the clash (london calling), the velvet (the velvet underground & nico), the rolling stones (let it bleed)…

www.telerama.fr (in french)
Today's News | April 7 | April 5  >

[ home | terms of service ]