Morrissey Central "YOU KNOW I COULDN’T LAST" (July 26, 2023)

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
he was paying band members $1000 a show in the 90s,not bad for a few hours work,current band must be on a few thousand per show,sounds like a decent boss to me.
Yeah. Plus almost never anyone has anything bad to say and they usually seem willing to work with him again.

It shows he cared about her. As a musician and a person. How often do you see that?
Exactly. And, he is expressing the anger in the fact that this person’s talent and sensibilities were overlooked and taken for grated by many when she was struggling as a human being. I admire him for doing this; calling out entities that appeared not to care.

Exactly. And, he is expressing the anger in the fact that this person’s talent and sensibilities were overlooked and taken for grated by many when she was struggling as a human being. I admire him for doing this; calling out entities that appeared not to care.
Like he cared about those who bought tickets for Nottingham you mean.

Coverage of this is finally dying down but another Moz-mention here, in the Sunday Times column by Sarah Ditum - relevant passage posted below.

There’s not much I agree on with Morrissey these days, including the question of his own brilliance. Still, he got one thing right last week. Surveying the acres of tributes to Sinéad O’Connor, who died on Wednesday at the horribly premature age of 56, the contrarian bellower was unimpressed.
“You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive,” he wrote on his website, celebrating her “proud vulnerability”. Obviously there was a subtext here (why does no one have the guts to support proud, vulnerable Steven Patrick Morrissey?), but set that aside and his point was incontestable.

She wasn't bringing in the money anymore. She came with 'baggage'. Should they have just kept her on the 'books' because they felt bad for her? However, that doesn't mean they cannot appreciate her talent. You are in the industry, like with any job, if you don't bring in the money, you get fired. I don't know why this post made me angry. People can feel bad and appreciate someone regardless if they 'let her go'.

I'm torn after reading Moz's post. In many ways he is right but the most important outcome from today is that a woman has died and is sadly missed by her children, her fans, music fans in general, and anyone with empathy. Now is not the time for digs at the music industry and music critics, and now is definitely not the time for Moz to make comparisons to his own mistreatment by the mangled music machine.

Sinead was ahead of her time in many ways and it took years for people to catch up with her. Three kids are without a mother. The world is now without Sinead. Everything else pales in significance to that. Her death is not a battery for the torch to illuminate the shortcomings of the music industry. At least not yet when this is too raw.

I've read Moz's statement a few times and can feel his anger and frustration at the two-faced world. I can see and accept his points. He is being honest. I think I'm (like a lot of us) still reeling from the news today. I have a Sinead 7" of Don't Cry For Me Argentina with Ave Maria as b-side. Playing it now but it's very hard not to get emotional.
sounds like he is in the anger stage. The simple truth is, this talented women has passed away and left behind people who loved and appreciated her. The 'music industry' is just that, an industry. Just like any job, you dont bring in the money, we have to let you go.

So angry. In many ways he is right - she was mocked and humiliated by the media and this 'legend' stuff is pap - but Sinead's problems were intensely personal and went far beyond being dropped by a record label. Sometimes it's like Moz is so tunnel-visioned, he can't help but insert his own situation into these rants. Sinead suffered and lost a son to suicide just last year, I think she had far greater concerns than record labels, Moz.
Couldnt agree more. She was still singing and was selling sold out shows regardless of the 'industry'. She had much more important things she was dealing with then record labels.

sounds like he is in the anger stage. The simple truth is, this talented women has passed away and left behind people who loved and appreciated her.

The 'music industry' is just that, an industry. Just like any job, you dont bring in the money, we have to let you go.

Yes. But you would think a business that wanted to protect their assets, would take better care of their ‘product’.

Couldnt agree more. She was still singing and was selling sold out shows regardless of the 'industry'. She had much more important things she was dealing with then record labels.

but there’s cause and effect. So yes, someone can put on a brave face, claim they have ‘moved on’ and yes continue to be ‘successful’. But how one is treated in the past does shape your future and how one really feels about their self.

Evening Standard made a wee video.

Fáilte romhat ar ais, a chroí!

The first 20 minutes of The Brendan O' Connor (no relation) Radio Show today featured Bressie of band The Blizzards, who is also a mental health activist, and he stressed how savage the music industry was in the 80s and 90s.

He said it was the very worst milieu a mentally fragile person could find themselves in. Although to be fair, Sinéad also often demonstrated unusual toughness and clarity in her business dealings. Both approaches are believable, to me anyway. The show reflects on her experiences especially in light of a report that came out the same day claiming mental health services for children remain inadequate.

Last edited:
sounds like he is in the anger stage. The simple truth is, this talented women has passed away and left behind people who loved and appreciated her. The 'music industry' is just that, an industry. Just like any job, you dont bring in the money, we have to let you go.
“we have to let you go.”

Does it not strike you as curious that we accept—and propagate—a conceited term like that?

If anything represents the duplicitous attitude of the music industry (and modern business, generally) it’s that.

Lmao, I just saw one of my friends call Morrissey a misogynist because he called Sinead "crazed". Sure, not the best word in the world to use, but she did suffer from mental illness, and was diagnosed with bipolar and borderline personality disorder.

Mentally healthy people don't have public mental breakdowns and make daily suicide threats

Lmao, I just saw one of my friends call Morrissey a misogynist because he called Sinead "crazed". Sure, not the best word in the world to use, but she did suffer from mental illness, and was diagnosed with bipolar and borderline personality disorder.

Mentally healthy people don't have public mental breakdowns and make daily suicide threats
What does misogyny have to do with being in a crazed state? Last time I checked both women and men can become crazed. Your friend is an idiot, Mozzypaws.

Rainbow Thumbs Down GIF by Mind Pump Media

What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Well, ya don’t say…

Your post was terribly insulting in Sinead's honor. You can still be a beautiful sweet intelligent soul with bipolar disease along with other problems she may have had. Now, if you are not a psychologist with a PhD, then please jut stop. Please.

Last edited:
What does misogyny have to do with being in a crazed state? Last time I checked both women and men can become crazed. Your friend is an idiot, Mozzypaws.

Rainbow Thumbs Down GIF by Mind Pump Media

What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Well, ya don’t say…

Your post was terribly insulting in Sinead's honor. You can still be a beautiful sweet intelligent soul with bipolar disease along with other problems she may have had. Now, if you are not a Phycologist with a PhD, then please jut stop. Please.
Just referencing another commenter on here who said she made daily suicide threats on Twitter and had public breakdowns. Obviously the sign that she isn't well mentally or emotionally and was crying out for help

Just referencing another commenter on here who said she made daily suicide threats on Twitter and had public breakdowns. Obviously the sign that she isn't well mentally or emotionally and was crying out for help
Your post didn’t reflect that, but I get it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom