Morrissey Central "YOU KNOW I COULDN’T LAST" (July 26, 2023)

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
By fair means or foul he has to get attention.
100% disgraceful.
History will hang him high.
Gosh its people like you that make us avoid forums.
Yr words are so sic
Moz posts something on his website and you two come to his forum and ridicule him. History will ONLY EVER see Moz as the Amazing Artist he was ALWAYS be!
What have u achieved in your lives?
What have u said or written that changed peoples lives for the better
What makes U JUDGE? JURY? & EXECUTIONER?
Why oh why are u being so spiteful?

Yr words are so sic
Moz posts something on his website and you two come to his forum and ridicule him. History will ONLY EVER see Moz as the Amazing Artist he was ALWAYS be!
I like you Elwarsi, come here more often

Yr words are so sic
You would be better off avoiding an emotional response to all of this. Has anyone here already considered that Morrissey making this sort of a posting so incredibly soon after her passing is in itself questionable? Is this the action of someone of sound mind? Moreover, is Morrissey so caught up in his relationship with alcohol that he types first and thinks later? He doesn't seem to care for writing something particularly intelligible anymore - this is evident in his lyrics as well as this missive. Look back to say the lyrics for Southpaw Grammar and its like Morrissey was a different man back then - more rounded, ballsy and dramatic. I'm not trying to be insensitive in any way but does he even have any kind of long-term friendship with Sinead O' Connor? She was a well-known bipolar person and considering how Morrissey has said medications don't work, I really don't think he would have been any help for her. For someone like her who was posting online suicidal feelings and threats daily not long ago, she really needed friends and medical professionals on call 24/7. It's all very sad.

Morrissey, 1986: "Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston. I think they’re vile in the extreme... Obviously to get on Top Of The Pops these days, one has to be, by law, black."
"Cruel and dismissive" surely covers calling someone "vile in the extreme"?

Morrissey, 2023, after Whitney Houston's death, includes her in this rant excoriating everyone for saying terrible things while she/Sinead were alive only to praise them posthumously like "cowards." Hmmm.

I can’t believe I agree with Morrissey, but he’s right on Sinéad O’Connor

I don’t often agree with Morrissey, but I thought he put it well when he raged that “the cruel play-pen of fame gushes with praise” for Sinéad O’Connor now she has died, but “hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you.”

He’s right: Sinéad paid a hard price for her honesty. She was mocked, ignored and sidelined by a music industry that has become sterile and safe.

Opinion piece by Chas Newkey-Burden.
FWD.
Wonder if Dave is of the same mind.

Sky News mentions Moz in their latest article about Sinéad.

https://news.sky.com/story/sinead-oconnor-was-found-unresponsive-at-her-home-in-london-12928440

Morrissey pays tribute - and attacks music industry

On his website, former Smiths frontman Morrissey paid tribute to O'Connor - and alleged that she had been mistreated by the music industry.

"There is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don't 'fit in'," he claimed.

Morrissey praised her "proud vulnerability" - describing O'Connor as someone who refused to be labelled and "had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent".

I remember when this came out, I figured the lyrics were about the Catholic Church, called “the whore of Babylon” by its haters and usually referred to as a she—the Bride of Christ, Holy Mother Church, &c. Then I learned it’s about her own mother. How poisonous that relationship must’ve been.

You would be better off avoiding an emotional response to all of this. Has anyone here already considered that Morrissey making this sort of a posting so incredibly soon after her passing is in itself questionable? Is this the action of someone of sound mind? Moreover, is Morrissey so caught up in his relationship with alcohol that he types first and thinks later? He doesn't seem to care for writing something particularly intelligible anymore - this is evident in his lyrics as well as this missive. Look back to say the lyrics for Southpaw Grammar and its like Morrissey was a different man back then - more rounded, ballsy and dramatic. I'm not trying to be insensitive in any way but does he even have any kind of long-term friendship with Sinead O' Connor? She was a well-known bipolar person and considering how Morrissey has said medications don't work, I really don't think he would have been any help for her. For someone like her who was posting online suicidal feelings and threats daily not long ago, she really needed friends and medical professionals on call 24/7. It's all very sad.
I cant avoid being emotional, Im like Sinead, wear my heart on my sleve, and cant bare it when people are cruel to each other, and am compelled to speak out, or hide myself and try to overcome the sadness and cruelty in the world, and come back full of love and compassion, only to be broken and left hiding in the corner again.........my circle of life

Morrissey is entitled to write and say what he likes, just as you have the right to post your thoughts, so does Morrissey, the only difference.. Morrissey has millions of dedicated followers who want to hear his thoughts. Suggesting Morrissey has a drink problem is NOT on. Im sure you wouldnt say that to his face, so I dont think you should say that here out of respect, and the fact he could read that, and might be upset. Morrissey like most of us change over time mentally, and hey every 7 years 99% of our attoms are replaced, so litterally we are a new person.
Lets just try to be nice. All Moz was saying is how the media and music industry caused her missery and so much trauma, and it sticks in the throat when you hear them kiss ass now shes dead.

Agree with Boy George on this one. Powerful writing, great sentiment from Moz, but I'm not sure anything would have helped.

Amen! Agree 100% 🙌🏻

I remember when this came out, I figured the lyrics were about the Catholic Church, called “the whore of Babylon” by its haters and usually referred to as a she—the Bride of Christ, Holy Mother Church, &c. Then I learned it’s about her own mother. How poisonous that relationship must’ve been.
My Mothers Irish, and like Sineads an obsessive catholic, which can make them violent and cruel, my mum was always telling me I would burn in hell for not doing some random thing like brushing my hair properly or making my bed. Sadly its the memory of a guy called Jesus who talked about love, that was turned into a religion - created by the Roman, ending in the vatican, and when you think it was the Romans that Killed Jesus, and then blamed it on Jesus's own people the Jews, its all so twisted. The Vatican has more money than any institute in the world, it could solve world hunger over night, but it just protects the perverted priests, and makes zombies out of its followers.

Morrissey, 1986: "Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston. I think they’re vile in the extreme... Obviously to get on Top Of The Pops these days, one has to be, by law, black."
"Cruel and dismissive" surely covers calling someone "vile in the extreme"?

Morrissey, 2023, after Whitney Houston's death, includes her in this rant excoriating everyone for saying terrible things while she/Sinead were alive only to praise them posthumously like "cowards." Hmmm.
That's a fair point, and Morrissey is a contradictory mess at the best of times. I suspect in 1986 he saw Whitney, Janet et al as very much a symbol of mass-market commercial pop (which his and Johnny's band was - rightly or wrongly - kicking against), whereas it turned out that poor Whitney became something of a tortured soul, the type of person who's far more interesting to Morrissey.

It may still be that he's being hypocritical, of course...

Agree with Boy George on this one. Powerful writing, great sentiment from Moz, but I'm not sure anything would have helped.

Boy George . One of the few voices of reason that doesn't go to extremes :clap: ( for God's sake, will clapping always remind me of an airplane...)

Morrissey refers to ... himself in the second sentence. It speaks for itself . It is an ocean of frustration and hypocrisy. Two examples: if he hates the music industry so much, why does he still want to be a part of it so badly. 'Cause he wants to be, doesn't he? second one : what did he do or even say to draw attention to Sinead's life situation before her death ? Maybe he did, enlighten me please .
I don't think Morrissey's support for her would have saved her life, but it's always something when you're supported by a legend and an Icon (Fiona's favorite words) as Morrissey is . I don't catch it. Not this time . Sorry .
Why ask what he did for her? He's not saying her family or friends did nothing for her or didn't try to help her. He's talking about how the music industry and the music press treated her and are, now that she's dead, singing her praises.

sometimes to be extreme is necessary.

Maybe nothing would have helped, but was any help being offered from the record industry?
She was an extraordinary talent,who had produced three popular and critically albums in a row.
She went on,later,to make incredible music.

The record industry ran away from her ,not because her talent was diminished,but due to the witch hunt,that began after the ripping up of the Pope's photo.

I cant avoid being emotional, Im like Sinead, wear my heart on my sleve, and cant bare it when people are cruel to each other, and am compelled to speak out, or hide myself and try to overcome the sadness and cruelty in the world, and come back full of love and compassion, only to be broken and left hiding in the corner again.........my circle of life

Morrissey is entitled to write and say what he likes, just as you have the right to post your thoughts, so does Morrissey, the only difference.. Morrissey has millions of dedicated followers who want to hear his thoughts. Suggesting Morrissey has a drink problem is NOT on. Im sure you wouldnt say that to his face, so I dont think you should say that here out of respect, and the fact he could read that, and might be upset. Morrissey like most of us change over time mentally, and hey every 7 years 99% of our attoms are replaced, so litterally we are a new person.
Lets just try to be nice. All Moz was saying is how the media and music industry caused her missery and so much trauma, and it sticks in the throat when you hear them kiss ass now shes dead.
Agree very much... especially, people need to stop saying or suggesting Moz has a drinking problem. It's classless and disrespectful.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom