The Nolans' cover of "Panic" (1990) creates a stir, The Poke, December 13, 2023

The Nolans were a group about as far removed from The Smiths as it’s possible to get. Compare and contrast I’m in the Mood for Dancing with How Soon is Now? and you’ll see what we mean.

So we were a little surprised when this clip of The Nolans covering the classic Smiths’ song Panic appeared on Twitter. Thanks to Ash Preston for sharing.

The discussion generated is then set out.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fooking hell…. I thought all the Nolan’s
Were dead 😮😮
This cover song, could add weight to the theory, that panic is about Jimmy savile,
As there is footage of JS cuddling the youngest Nolan sister on top of the pops, whilst the others sister were just about to sing.
All the older Nolan sisters knew all about JS
Antics and threw him a warning to keep his filthy hands to himself.

I prefer Tiffany's cover.

Interesting. And I heard that her song ‘I Think We’re Alone Now’ is actually about Jimmy Saville.

Interesting cover version, which doesn’t try and compete with the original. And I’m quite surprised they chose to do it, although going against type was the likely rationale.

Fooking hell…. I thought all the Nolan’s
Were dead 😮😮
This cover song, could add weight to the theory, that panic is about Jimmy savile,
As there is footage of JS cuddling the youngest Nolan sister on top of the pops, whilst the others sister were just about to sing.
All the older Nolan sisters knew all about JS
Antics and threw him a warning to keep his filthy hands to himself.
The clip was posted on utube in 2006, 2008, and again now. Taken from The Jonathan Ross show from 1990.

From one of the sisters official webpage:

Screenshot_20231215_192205_Chrome.jpg

That youtube screen cap is hilarious - they look like they're being forced to sing at gunpoint.

By Morrissey, maybe?

It feels like an attack of vertigo put to music. I think I have to lie down and hold on to the mattress.

There is a certain viewpoint that if a song is that good, anyone can cover it and it will be great, but...... that was bloody awful.

There is a certain viewpoint that if a song is that good, anyone can cover it and it will be great, but...... that was bloody awful.

Yeah, I tried to watch it once, could only get half way through. The Nolan’s cover I mean.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom