The new cooking thread

Six years! Congratulations. If everyone ate like you, we'd eliminate type 2 diabetes and so many other diseases. My mom has been eating Paleo as well and she has seen huge changes; she's lost weight; and her edema in her ankles is gone.
Good for her! Hope she (and you) manage to stick with it. I didn't really have a choice as I was so ill, but I think now I will probably stick with this for life (with the odd bit of naughtiness), as it's made such a huge difference. I may post recipes on here that I eat regularly - there's a surprising amount of variety and you can eat really well, with a little effort and imagination. But I'm sensitive to the fact that many on here are vegetarian/vegan, so I don't want to cause upset :)

BETTYS CHEESE ON TOAST

Ingredients

Grated Kerrygold Dubliner cheese (NEVER SLICED)
Brennans family pan premium white bread (sliced 7/8" thick)

The toast must be traditionally grilled under the oven grill (Gas only never electric)
The first side of the toast is grilled on high for four and three quarters of a minute.
Turn over and grill the other side of the toast on a very slightly lower gas setting for two minutes and fifteen seconds then remove the toast and layer with the Kerrygold Dubliner about 1/4" thick, take care to keep the cheese 1/4" from the edges.
Return to the grill on full gas for a further two minutes and fifteen seconds.
Must be served on plates warmed at 100 in the oven.

You can personalise the toast by writing messages on it with brown sauce and then return to the grill for half a minute (full gas)

I used to write SON or STEVO or a SWASTIK symbol on mine (My Son still loves this recipe, to this day. It's always the first thing I cook when he and his partner visit)

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

BETTYS EGGY BREAD

Brennans family pan premium white bread sliced into triangles 1/2" thick
Two Fresh Heritage Breeds Royal Legbar Impeccable Pastel Shell Hen Eggs
1/2 pint of green top cows milk
Salt/Pepper
One tbsp British Rapeseed oil

Crack the blue eggs into a mixing jug and whisk with a four pronged fork
Add the milk and whisk some more
Season with salt/fresh ground black pepper

Next add the oil to a frying pan and heat on full gas
Dip the bread triangles into the eggy mixture and fry in the frying pan for two minutes forty three seconds on each side.

Serve on warm plates warmed in the oven for 10 minutes on 100

My Steve loved this recipe.

BETTYS CHEESE ON TOAST

Ingredients

Grated Kerrygold Dubliner cheese (NEVER SLICED)
Brennans family pan premium white bread (sliced 7/8" thick)

The toast must be traditionally grilled under the oven grill (Gas only never electric)
The first side of the toast is grilled on high for four and three quarters of a minute.
Turn over and grill the other side of the toast on a very slightly lower gas setting for two minutes and fifteen seconds then remove the toast and layer with the Kerrygold Dubliner about 1/4" thick, take care to keep the cheese 1/4" from the edges.
Return to the grill on full gas for a further two minutes and fifteen seconds.
Must be served on plates warmed at 100 in the oven.

You can personalise the toast by writing messages on it with brown sauce and then return to the grill for half a minute (full gas)

I used to write SON or STEVO or a SWASTIK symbol on mine (My Son still loves this recipe, to this day. It's always the first thing I cook when he and his partner visit)

Oh Benny, I sincerely hope we'll have more tasty morsels from Betty's Kitchen. And perhaps Diesel might be able to pass on details of the special Tomato and Salmonella Penne recipe that proved so versatile in Peru?

Last edited:
Oh Benny, I sincerely hope we'll have more tasty morsels from Betty's Kitchen.

I may post TOASTED SOLDIERS AND DIPPY EGGS tomorrow, there's a lot of intricate work and preparation needed though making the toasted soldiers :tiphat:and its STRICTLY NO TOASTER :thumb:

Oh Benny, I sincerely hope we'll have more tasty morsels from Betty's Kitchen. And perhaps Diesel might be able to pass on details of the special Tomato and Salmonella Penne recipe that proved so versatile in Peru?

Now and then on the road Diesel does have to wear the pinafore and keep Steves strength up. Luckily for you I am also privileged to know the recipes and their ingredients so watch this space :highfive:

Because we must :laughing:

Good for her! Hope she (and you) manage to stick with it. I didn't really have a choice as I was so ill, but I think now I will probably stick with this for life (with the odd bit of naughtiness), as it's made such a huge difference. I may post recipes on here that I eat regularly - there's a surprising amount of variety and you can eat really well, with a little effort and imagination. But I'm sensitive to the fact that many on here are vegetarian/vegan, so I don't want to cause upset :)

I'd love for you to share your ideas/recipes. I'd try your flax seed bread, but I am trying to break the "bread" habit--not just gluten and grains but the actual idea of it as a vehicle to make sandwiches and dunk in yummy broths. Endive and large leafy greens have filled the void.

When I think of all those meat substitutes, I cringe. All of them are processed. Seitan and soy--yuck--carb central. Why do people need to turn whole, healthy foods into fake meats? Habit? Fear of lack of protein?

Kind of Paleo-Ketogenic - just meat, fish, eggs, nuts, vegetables and plenty of fats. I've been eating this way for about 6 years because of serious health issues so it's become second nature now. What I find weird is when I eat dinner, I feel really full and can't understand how I ever managed the potato/pasta on top. I love peanut butter, though!

You are right, I think sugar and excess carbs are driving not just obesity but all kinds of other chronic health issues. I don't think it's a coincidence that Morrissey has had all the health problems he's had.
Enjoy those future gallstones of yours from that diet.

Six years! Congratulations. If everyone ate like you, we'd eliminate type 2 diabetes and so many other diseases. My mom has been eating Paleo as well and she has seen huge changes; she's lost weight; and her edema in her ankles is gone.
You obviously have no clue what diabetes 2 comes from and if you studied what you need to avoid it then you'd find food has nothing at all to do with it unless you binge eat certain things. Next time study the facts before opening your cancer mouth.

I will! I may go with crumbled and pressed ladyfingers with a small amount of super finely ground espresso mixed in for the crust, and then gently fold soaked bits into the batter. But like I said, I'm a bit worried about the liquid ingredient being added. I worry that it will bake beautifully, but when I take the ring off of the springform pan that it will collapse. It might be one of those Grandma type of desserts that look hideous until you taste it.

EDIT: OOH! or I may just make a cheesecake with half of the ingredients (so only about an inch thick) and then build a one layer Tiramisu on top of it. Keeping with the ladyfinger crust, of course.
That sounds really good. I use an espresso powder I order from King Arthur Flour’s site for baking. It’s already fine and I just add it dry to things like the two batches of brownies I’ve made so far this week. I agree with Pep that you should keep us posted on this one. Good luck!

That sounds really good. I use an espresso powder I order from King Arthur Flour’s site for baking. It’s already fine and I just add it dry to things like the two batches of brownies I’ve made so far this week. I agree with Pep that you should keep us posted on this one. Good luck!
I have my own grinder, so it shouldn't be tough to powder it super fine. I didn't get to it tonight, but when I do, I'll post a picture, if not the whole recipe.

It's the other way around, TAT - jacket potatoes! - but no matter. This guy is great, I like his style. And those jackets look good as well. Love the way he tells you not to let the unbaked potatoes see the finished, stuffed ones because 'they're already struggling with tasting like nothing' :lbf:
Jacket Potatoes or Potato Jackets. You say Po-tat-o, I say Po-ta-to. I thought it was pretty funny, too. Now I feel inspired to make something original just so I can post dets and pics. But not so inspired that it will happen tonight.

View attachment 44766
They are a cookie. You make Tiramisu by layering them in a pan with espresso, mascarpone,(well, a mascarpone custard) and whipped cream.
I always keep Lady Fingers in the pantry. Can spot a package from here, in fact. They’re great for all sorts of things including they stand in well as a temporary dog treat when I forget to buy Sadie her snacks.

Oh, sponge fingers, as we call them! Quite a logical leap, really. I probably didn't think of it because I've never made Tiramisu on account of an aversion to mascarpone - also creme fraiche, custard, anything goopy, basically. It relates to a deep-seated psychological trauma involving custard from my childhood. I can't say it's affected my love of food too much but it very quickly sorted out whether I was in the 'spit or swallow' camp :eek:
Don’t like custards?! Who ever heard of such a thing. And you had the nerve to school me on onions! How on earth do you make a decent trifle with that kind of phobia?

I always keep Lady Fingers in the pantry. Can spot a package from here, in fact. They’re great for all sorts of things including they stand in well as a temporary dog treat when I forget to buy Sadie her snacks.
My dog is a huge fan of vegetables. If I'm cutting carrots or cucumbers, she will literally drool a puddle onto the floor.
I never suspected that a great dane would be so excited for produce. I bought a watermelon today, and I'm excited to share it with her.

My dog is a huge fan of vegetables. If I'm cutting carrots or cucumbers, she will literally drool a puddle onto the floor.
I never suspected that a great dane would be so excited for produce. I bought a watermelon today, and I'm excited to share it with her.
I had a cat who loved all things asparagus and would demand some when ever I cooked with it. Pets are strange creatures.

BETTYS EGGY BREAD

Brennans family pan premium white bread sliced into triangles 1/2" thick
Two Fresh Heritage Breeds Royal Legbar Impeccable Pastel Shell Hen Eggs
1/2 pint of green top cows milk
Salt/Pepper
One tbsp British Rapeseed oil

Crack the blue eggs into a mixing jug and whisk with a four pronged fork
Add the milk and whisk some more
Season with salt/fresh ground black pepper

Next add the oil to a frying pan and heat on full gas
Dip the bread triangles into the eggy mixture and fry in the frying pan for two minutes forty three seconds on each side.

Serve on warm plates warmed in the oven for 10 minutes on 100

My Steve loved this recipe.

These are truly special! Thanks for sharing, Benny! Can’t get enough of these!

Don’t like custards?! Who ever heard of such a thing. And you had the nerve to school me on onions! How on earth do you make a decent trifle with that kind of phobia?
Haha, the answer is I don't! I make a lot of things for my kids that I don't eat but I draw the line at custard and its wobbly, goopy friends. TAT, I cannot sit next to someone else eating custard without heaving, so I'm never going to manage to make the stuff :sick: And believe me, I've put some effort in, I've even had aversion therapy :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom