The greatest guitarists alive today - Johnny Marr

what a load of crap. James Dean Bradfield? Did you see him attempting the intro to This Charming Man on BBC recently? Seems as though pre-1983 never existed for NME. Marr, Coxon and Bellamy were all worthy choices, but most of them...well. I can't believe U2's Edge isn't there, nor Andy Summers, two of the most influential guitarists ever, and they were still alive last time I checked. The NME used to be full of great bands, great reading and journalism,and great debate. Don't know why I bother reading these 'top lists', but I do, I still do:)

Yeah it's a BS list, but some of the suggestions people are making are ridiculous too, U2's Edge? Seriously? Lists like these can't ever hit the spot when there are little known guys like Bob Brozman running around playing guitar better than anyone else around (seriously, youtube this guy). Just because you play guitar in a popular band doesn't make you one of the "greatest guitarists" ever. Dean Ween from the band Ween is a f***ing amazing guitarist but what chance has he at ever making the list when he's an unknown.

Can't believe the Muse Guitarest is rated quite high...who the hell is he?
Anyway I voted for Marr....

what a load of crap. James Dean Bradfield? Did you see him attempting the intro to This Charming Man on BBC recently? Seems as though pre-1983 never existed for NME. Marr, Coxon and Bellamy were all worthy choices, but most of them...well. I can't believe U2's Edge isn't there, nor Andy Summers, two of the most influential guitarists ever, and they were still alive last time I checked. The NME used to be full of great bands, great reading and journalism,and great debate. Don't know why I bother reading these 'top lists', but I do, I still do:)

JDB is a phenomenal guitarist. The Edge is amazing, he's made a career out of playing virtually the same song for 30 years, which is an achievement of sorts. And i like U2. But there ain't much variation when it comes to guitaring. Bellamy? Is this David Bellamy?

Bradfield would blow the lot of them of the stage!

Come now. Let's not bash The Edge. He isn't Bono and, unless you're an environmentalist living in Malibu, by all accounts he's a decent guy.

As for his playing, weren't notions like admiring the technical prowess of guitarists officially outdated as of about 1977? :)

Oh, don't spoil the fun. He needs the piss taken out of, but at the end of the day I still enjoy the riffs of Where the Streets have no name or Pride, pedals or no pedals. :D

cheers

Forget all the posing and the showmanship, if you can - Steve Vai is simply without equal! Technically - he's from another planet. I wonder what Hendrix would have made of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
NME doesn't define greatness in terms of technical prowess...Otherwise why would they list Meg White as one of the greatest drummers in rock :sick:

The only reason NME does these "the greatest" lists is so people end up clicking and clicking, therefore generating more page views.

They could simply make another dumb list with everybody in one page, but no, they want people to click, click, reload.

I just wish people would stop paying attention and discussing this stuff.

Who cares what they think anyway.

I assume they mean rock/pop guitarists. If they mean guitarists more generally, where's the likes of Kelly Joe Phelps, Pepe Romero or Eliot Fisk. Christ, where's Vini Reilly?

I dislike "top x(xx(+?))" lists so much. In fact I dislike music magazines and music critics in general. They all make a favourite list at some point in their lives.

People have different tastes. That's all there is to say.

My favourite guitarist is Brian May of Queen. Because he built his own guitar at the age of 15 which he still used for recording some early Queen stuff. This makes the sound of his guitar really distinctive. Plus he's a really good guitarist, and I like Queen's music!
You won't care because he's not your cup of tea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom