Swords review on Altsounds - two extra songs?

dizzywhore_1804

A big-nose who knows...
http://hangout.altsounds.com/reviews/111581-morrissey-swords-album.html

...In the end though only one question remains unanswered: who is it for? For the fans who already bought the singles? Or for the people who didn't bother buying the singles despite the exclusive non-album b-sides? At worst you can it's a "semi-new album," with twenty overlooked Morrissey songs finally getting a true release. But by covering Morrissey's own compositions only, the live songs and covers are left out, as are the Morrissey penned b-side 'The Public Image' plus two songs only appearing on the deluxe edition of 'You Are the Quarry.' It's not really a proper release, especially when realizing that two tracks actually included on the album are not even mentioned on the track list.

Although Morrissey's "Swords" is, with its twenty tracks plus an additional eight track live disc, a bit long, it does have its moments but knowing that his nine studio albums were accompanied by as many compilation albums - the latest even compiled incomplete and incorrectly - he might ask himself, how much of an artistic challenge is this?

....To possibly answer your original opening Question......Who is it for ??

maybe Morrissey ( and his bank manager...)
I thought the "Quarry" extra disc was a fantastic album on its own merits....but , then, to have some tracks repeated on this, NEW "Compilation" smacks of Laziness, considering that there is other possible worthwhile material that is being ignored ( even some tracks I have NEVER heard of, let alone even heard......).
"Re-issue, Re-package, Re-package indeed"...I still love the swine though.....
Just.....

It sounds like what the review is saying is that the remaining songs from the Quarry B-side disc are included even though we thought they weren't because they weren't included on the press release/ordering websites. This seems kind of far-fetched though. Why would that be the case? :confused:

Mozzer's stage quip a week into the tour "And this is another song from an album that nobody buyed."

Audience response "Stop whinging you big rich lazy jessie and play Suedehead."

All subsequent gigs cancelled due to Morrissey's bad back

The person is reviewing the promo they got, which features the two bonus songs on the downloadable edition of the album: "Human Being" and an edit of "Slum Mums".

Stephane

The person is reviewing the promo they got, which features the two bonus songs on the downloadable edition of the album: "Human Being" and an edit of "Slum Mums".

Stephane

But does that mean they will be on the publicly released edition?

According to warren over on the Collectors forum the 'Swords' promo wot he got a couple of weeks back contains 2 'hidden' tracks ~ 'The Slum Mums' ('edit' ~ the screaming kid at the start has been excised) and his imperious rendition of 'Human Being'.
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=1230397&postcount=2885

If this is true, what's up with Moz butchering his songs. The baby crying in this sounds pretty much sums up the song theme, it would be very stupid to remove that part of the song.

I love this song, its very moving yet so true.

I hope a 20-track edition gets released in Japan or something. I need a little extra to tempt me into buying Swords, even the 8 track bonus CD is not enough. (this strategy served me well with the Greatest Hits... waited and got the US version with 9 track bonus CD)

Re: Swords

I hope a 20-track edition gets released in Japan or something. I need a little extra to tempt me into buying Swords, even the 8 track bonus CD is not enough. (this strategy served me well with the Greatest Hits... waited and got the US version with 9 track bonus CD)

According to http://hmv.co.jp unfortunately Polydor Japan isn't planning to release Swords. :(

So, is The Slum Mums actually 12 seconds shorter or does it just have the screaming Baby edited out?

we did our pre order for "swords" today - and we took 40 of the double disc and 25 of the single , plus 5 of the vinyl ! i think the usual pattern will occur : it will sell well on day 1 and we will re-order it , then it will drop off after wednesday and we will have too many copies left ! we were down to get zero vinyls , but i am buying one so i upped it to 5 !

Back
Top Bottom