Smiths/Morrissey Winter/Xmas songs?

Beamish

I'm making a winter mix to send to friends, and I am lacking a little someone...I mean something.

Suggestions?

I can't think of one song in the catalog that reminds me of the holidays at all, and no mix is complete without you know who.

'East West', as originally sung by Herman's Hermits, was a Christmas single about wanting to be home with the folks when you're stuck on tour drinking champagne, staying in classy hotels, and being chatted up by busty beauties. Perhaps not overly convincing.. Morrissey changed the lyrics, though, and added an extra verse, so it's not particularly Christmassy in his version.

He DOES condemn Christmas turkeys in 'Meat is Murder'.. :)

How Soon is Now is awesome during a blizzard.

I got sent a Morrissey mix tape in the mail one xmas....I listened to it as I helped my mum get lunch ready. So to me, xmas is always 'Alsatian Cousin' & 'November Spawned A Monster' (the first 2 on the tape)

Apart from the odd christmas reference, I dont think there is a Smiths/Morrissey song which can be described as 'christmassy'.
I would reccomend 'war is over' and 'fairytale of new york' instead (John Lennon and The Pogues respectively)

there is one song...anytime i listen (which is rather seldom cuz it's a skipper fo' sho') to it, i see moz and marr dressed in warm pullovers sitting around a christmas tree with lots of gifts and children...

glad it's a cover, sad enough they put it on lp twice though,....

"golden lights"

edit: and yes, it is a terrible shame

Last edited:
not a Moz song but evocative of him nonetheless, to me anyway...'Christmas in Killarney':)

Back
Top Bottom