Morrissey Central "SHAKE THE HAND THAT SHOOK THE HAND" (January 5, 2024)

Meetings most prized, when the
pleasure and privilege was mine:
pressing palms, exuding charms;
times gone …
by Morrissey

full

Joan Collins and Anthony Newley.

1.Anthony Newley
2.Richard Attenborough
3.Lou Reed
4.Peter Wyngarde
5.Nancy Sinatra
6.David Bowie
7.Nico
8.Tom Jones
9.Marianne Faithfull
10.Richard Davalos
11.Eve Arden
12.Dick Gregory
13.Joan Collins
14.Cliff Richard
15.Luchiani Pavarotti
16.Ennio Morricone
17.Pat Phoenix
18.Mick Ronson
19.Iggy Pop
20.Martin Sheen
21.Pete Townshend
22.Mick Jagger
23.Jeff Beck
24.Al Martino
25.Victoria Wood
26.Joel Fabiani
27.Patti Smith
28.William Shatner
29.Rita Tushingham
30.Alan Bennett
31.David Bailey
32.Mel Gibson
33.Elaine Stritch
34.Vanessa Redgrave
35.Buffy Sainte-Marie
36.Paul Simon
37.Johnny Carson
38.Cathy McGowan
39.Kenny Lynch
40. Eartha Kitt
41.Jackson Browne
42.Joni Mitchell
43.Charles Pierce
44.David Johansen
45.Johnny Thunders
46.Mavis Nicholson
47.Leee Black Childers
48.Lauren Bacall
49.Dora Bryan
50.Joan Sims
51.Melvyn Bragg
52.Marc Bolan

Joel Fabiani and Peter Wyngarde in Department S

Last edited by a moderator:
"At last I am face to face with Marc Bolan – as his flutterers flutter about him in the lobby of the Midland Hotel in Manchester. I am nothing and look nothing.
‘Could I have your autograph?’, I ask softly.
‘Oooh, no,’ he says, and slowly walks away to nowhere – unavailable to the outside world. I nod with all the shyness of adolescent modesty, as if understanding the catastrophic trouble I had brought upon him by asking. His new album will enter the chart at number 50, and mental illness is artistic activity is mental illness is artistic activity. On this day of buried disappointments, the showbiz version of Marc Bolan probably relishes the socially trapped condition, yet there is no one here but I – a member of his audience to whom he once turned for confirmation of what he was, and I gave to him as he gave to me. Ah, but not today – shadow close, swift as a swallow ..."

I believe he's on about the Apollo gig, '77 which makes Morrissey ~18.
FWD.
If that is all it was, is Moz not cheating a bit by suggesting he met Marc Bolan?

My list, of famous people I have met and actually had a conversation with of some kind, in descending order of fame or celebrity:

1. Liam Neeson
2. Edson Gomes (famous in Brazil!!)
3. Michael Palin
4. Stephen Fry
5. Frank Bruno
6. Graham Norton
7. Gerry Adams
8. Sean Hughes
9. Suggs
10. Jeremy Corbyn
11. Adam Deacon
12. Angus MacNeil

There is a story to all of the above, but best kept for conversation at a party. I also had a conversation with the chap walking along with a furrowed brow in the Panic video directed by Derek Jarman. Never knew his name.

If he's being totally honest, 1. David Johansen 2. Johnny Thunders 3. Sylvain Sylvain 4. Arthur Kane. What about the Mael brothers? Joe Strummer was rumored to be in the running to produce Maladjusted, I'm sure it would have been a thrill to meet him.

Re: meeting Nico - vague details:

"I meet her twice in unlit corners of Manchester danceterias, her frozen eyes wide amongst masses of deep black garments. The voice is a deadly frost that speaks only in mind-boggling twister-teasers, and you feel certain that Nico is in there somewhere, amongst the creases. The body is eighty-five parts anti-freeze and fifteen parts first-degree aitch. It is said that Nico introduced her teenage son to heroin, and, as he lay in a hospital bed having overdosed, she rigged up portable recording equipment in order to capture his last breath. Nico herself will be dead at 49, having fallen from her bicycle. Her singing voice is the sound of a body falling downstairs, and she speaks as if the hangman’s hands are at her throat. One drizzly night at a crib called Rafters, Nico hoists herself onstage in preparation. Her fortress harmonium stands center-stage like a battleship, ready to wheeze vaporized tones like the last harpooned humpback. Nico aims for her stool but misses and jigs herself sideways. She readjusts and begins the foot-pumping process of awakening her harmonium. There is no ‘hello’, and no ‘goodbye’. I treasure her four studio albums, none of which contain the faintest hint of hope."

With the loss of the Autobiography online index, on my things to do list is an Autobiography named references addition to relevant Wiki topics. That is a vast undertaking though, so will keep.
FWD.

I was also remembering the tasty playlist author Lars Iyer put together for The Quietus last year which included Nico with mentions of Manchester and Morrissey, leading to an assumption they crossed paths:

Nico, ‘Ari’s Song’ (alternative version)
How did Nico, rock nobility, doom-chanteuse, Goth-before-Goth, survivor of a childhood in Nazi Germany, genius muse of Bob Dylan, Jim Morrison, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Frederico Fellini, Andy Warhol, and others, end up in Manchester of all places? Nico lived in Prestwich Park for seven years, not far from Mark E. Smith, admiring the Victorian architecture, playing pool in local pubs, godmothering local bands. Linder Sterling was a neighbour for a while, receiving sage performance advice: “When you sing a high note, you should imagine it falling to the floor and all low notes rising up”. Morrissey was “enormously comforted by her isolation and depression,” naming Desertshore as his favourite album of all time.

But it’s the beauty and tenderness of ‘Ari’s Song’ from The Marble Index that I want to remember here, one of several songs Nico wrote about motherhood. This is a demo version, too, just Nico and her hypnotic harmonium, without John Cale’s musical additions. How tender she sounds, promising her son ‘”light and joy”. “Sail away, sail away my little boy …” Nico, left us too early. RIP ‘Ari’ AKA Christian Aaron Boulogne, who died last year.

https://thequietus.com/articles/33361-lars-iyer-my-weil-playlist

Also, I see a new photo of Maxine Peake wearing a t-shirt with a Morrissey picture posted, and just to add that she starred as Nico in The Nico Project in 2019 - https://thequietus.com/articles/26820-maxine-peake-the-nico-project-review

Interesting list (no Sparks?) - almost sounds like he's reminding himself of the good bits of the whole fame ride, the perks. I find it a bit sad that he 'prizes' these brief encounters with the rich and famous but doesn't reflect on the fact that you could write a list just as long of good friends that he lost, people he fell out with or 'exiled' without a word, etc... that is the stuff that people remember about someone, not whether you stood in a corridor next to Marc Bolan when you were 18.
You'd have a personal basis for that criticism if your expectation is that the public deserve to see absolutely everything Morrissey writes.

Last edited:
I mean shite , the man has been famous since he was 23 of course he is going to meet famous people .
It’s kinda pathetic to mention it even.
It's kinda pathetic too to pour cold water on people being entertained by the sharing of a list of culturally significant people most of the rest of us could never have hoped to meet, isn't it?

If that is all it was, is Moz not cheating a bit by suggesting he met Marc Bolan?

My list, of famous people I have met and actually had a conversation with of some kind, in descending order of fame or celebrity:

1. Liam Neeson
3. Michael Palin
4. Stephen Fry
5. Frank Bruno
6. Graham Norton
7. Gerry Adams
8. Sean Hughes
9. Suggs
10. Jeremy Corbyn
11. Adam Deacon
12. Angus MacNeil

There is a story to all of the above, but best kept for conversation at a party. I also had a conversation with the chap walking along with a furrowed brow in the Panic video directed by Derek Jarman. Never knew his name.
I met Suggs in The Old Neptune in Whistable; we found ourselves at cross purposes as I wanted to talk about his contribution to Piccadilly Palare, whilst he was more interested in a distracting side project called ‘Madness’. Takes all kinds.

You'd have a personal basis for that criticism if your expectation is that the public deserve to see absolutely everything Morrissey writes.
It's not a criticism, it's just my reflection on something that M has chosen to post publicly on his website. Of course, there may be lots of things he writes that we don't see... I'm sure there are. I'm just sharing my reaction to what is there and I don't need a 'personal basis' for that any more than you do, thanks.

It's kinda pathetic too to pour cold water on people being entertained by the sharing of a list of culturally significant people most of the rest of us could never have hoped to meet, isn't it?
It's pathetic for him to make a list like this and post it to his site so people like you can be super impressed because you think it's so cool and unusual. It's not.

It's pathetic for him to make a list like this and post it to his site so people like you can be super impressed because you think it's so cool and unusual. It's not.
Whatever your redeeming qualities are, you’ve been hiding them much too well until now. You should try to let some positive aspect or other bubble to the surface every now and again.

God, he used to be brilliant!

He’s still very capable, nearly four years on and Dog still sounds wonderful. And what I’ve heard of Without Music sounds exactly like a record I need hear.

If I do the maths, he’s in lots of credit. Despite the ‘Years of Reluctance’ (still makes me laugh).

He certainly was a fan before he got to know him.

Ánd he was one of the three last of the famous…

Yeah. Hmmm. Ok no Devoto.

How ‘bouts Mark E Smith? Pete Shelley? too?

Could be that they’re not on the same musical culture tier and, or because they’re from his backyard, and doesn’t consider them celebrities.

1. Liam Neeson
3. Michael Palin
4. Stephen Fry
5. Frank Bruno
6. Graham Norton
7. Gerry Adams
8. Sean Hughes
9. Suggs
10. Jeremy Corbyn
11. Adam Deacon
12. Angus MacNeil

Gerry Fecking Adams? I'd have headbutted the twa*. Don't know how he still walks the earth.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom