Music You've got into through Morrissey

Stitchell

blah blah blah blah...
Which Moz-endorsed acts do you enjoy?

New York Dolls

Patti Smith

The Dears

and......maybe Sparks?!?

The 'Under The Influence' CD was very enjoyable but that was down to it's strangeness at times. I have a feeling that some tracks were included as a wind up but I'm probably wrong. 'Death' by Klaus Nomi is one of the most unsettling song I've ever heard.

More obscure acts such as James (well, later they became successful), Ludus, Raymonde and Jobriath.
Being a part of 80s post-punk generation, I've already familiar with New York Dolls, Patti Smith, Sparks and Kraus Nomi.

NYD (and by that band, I got to know more bands who were influenced by them!), Jobriath, Nico

Magazine, the Dolls, 60s girl groups, The Boyfriends...

for the most part, he has an excellent taste in books.

He got me into Shelagh Delaney, Graham Greene, Wilde, and my (now) all time favorite, Elizabeth Smart.

Sinefil said:
I've got into Morrissey through NY Dolls.

I guess we don't read that often!

NYD, Magazine, T-Rex, Sparks, The Primitives, Smoking Popes, Jobriath...

got into Lisa Germano, The Pretenders and De La Soul cuz of J.Marr.

Mainly Raymonde and Jobriath, as I listen to them the most.
Oh and early Tyrannosaurus Rex as well.

I must admit I am more into his taste in movies and books then his taste in music. Heard it all but clinged to almost nothing. Some bands like James and Bradford I discovered before I knew he likes them too. All others: NYD, Sparks and whatever ... well, they just didn't do it for me. I like some tunes by Sandie Shaw and Celia Black though, but I'm not religious about anything he recommends. Guess I made my peace with the fact he and I are just in different places when it comes to music apart from his own!

The Jam.

Jobriath and Nomi are exciting, not that I listen to them every day though.

T-Rex as a combined effort of M and my father.

As for the other acts, I got acquainted with them, but they are not among my all time favourites.

I was trying hard with Kristeen Young. I even thought that she was not bad, when I saw her for the first time, she's got some creative energy and unwalkable heels, but she probably needs some decent music collaborator. Best song in 50 years??!

I tried to get into the NYD but they're just not my cup of coffee! :p

New York Dolls are probably the only band I got through Morrissey, if I didn't know they were his fav. band I probably wouldn't have paid much attention....and, yes, they're amazing:) i truly believe they singlehandedly invented punk (to hell with stooges and mc5 - they're just plain boring)
I love The Dears but I didn't get into them through Morrisey in any way...but I did notice the striking similarity of the vocals, moods, song titles....I mean, they are clearly heavily influenced by smiths & moz - but unlike so many others (ordinary boys, the organ....) manage to turn it into something quite distinctive, incredible...they manage to push it forward.
I'm ranting, i should go to bed.
another great moz soundalikes - Luxembourg. They're a nice little band, with fantastic gay (i guess) lyrics and classic Smiths/Pulp/brit pop sound...i really like them
I really want to hear what this Kristeen person sounds like....and I want to hear the Sparks, and klaus nomi, and nico.....so i s'ppose i will get into more of "his" stuff eventually
by the way does anyone know if Moz likes The Dears? Did he say anything about them? I really really want him to like them....

Joni Mitchell - purely from the interview he did with her in the mid 90s.

The Hissing of Summer Lawns is just a perfect atmospheric fusion of lyrics and music. But I'm probably preaching to the converted :)

by the way does anyone know if Moz likes The Dears? Did he say anything about them? I really really want him to like them....

He wouldn't ask them to open for him if he didnt like them.
So it's a safe bet he does. I know he does.

Murray Lightburn has talked about the times they've chatted. Brings him to tears.

A lot of the Factory records & manchester bands from the 80s; James, new order, the fall.
i even read somewhere that morrissey liked the 1st happy mondays lp. which i had anyway.
never much liked the bands he liked in the 90s, suede were ok as well as echobelly (didn't he like them i can't remember).
he likes the killers to! i think!
don't mind Sons & daughters haven't got any stuff of theirs at home.
then it's just bowie/bolan/new york dolls/patti smith.

Echo & the Bunnymen.

Cos I read that they were an influence on Johnny Marr, which prompted me to buy Songs To Learn and Sing...and loved it :)

I'm a big fan of Libertines and Babyshambles. But I liked them before I knew He approved...

I'm a big fan of Libertines and Babyshambles. But I liked them before I knew He approved...

Me too! Does he really approve? Good to know.

What did he say about them? I've only seen pictures and heard something about Pete being on a slippery path or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom