Morrissey & Phranc photo (1991) from the Phranc Photographic Archive - JoeFrady / X

20240102_053440.jpg
20240102_053438.jpg

Pretty sure I saw her set.
You live and learn. No internet recounts of the night in those days.

I went to the stage door afterwards. Morrissey came out in a cream coat, and I was picked up from behind by security and carried back. Crazy. He ran on the coach and hid.

At the first American show in San Diego, I can remember the collective audience looking at each other like "what the hell is this?". I recall one song that the hook was "Gertrud Stein was never called an asshole". That was my recollection.

At the first American show in San Diego, I can remember the collective audience looking at each other like "what the hell is this?". I recall one song that the hook was "Gertrud Stein was never called an asshole". That was my recollection.

It's essentially a slightly retooled cover of Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers' "Pablo Picasso."

1991, as opener for Morrissey she starts 'My name is Phranc I'm a Jewish lesbian folksinger'. May 1.
Sounds familiar... I think she said the same thing at the LA Forum. I believe she also opened for The Smiths on the TQID tour... I'm guessing the North American leg.

I was just about to ask who the heck she was. Now I know!
According to Wikipedia, she moonlighted as a Tupperware saleswoman for many years, and she was apparently very successful.

I was at the first show on that tour where Melissa Ferrick stepped in. She said her manager called her that day and asked if she wanted to open for Morrissey that night and she said she was totally convinced he was joking and told him to stop it. When she was finally convinced he was serious she said she it felt so unreal and she still couldn't believe she was there on the stage. She also said something like 'Who calls and asks you if you want to open for Morrissey, the answer is always yes." She just kept laughing and saying "Sorry, I still can't believe it" all thru her set. She was so thrilled.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom