Morrissey in German Rolling Stone

thnks joe..someone tranlate the missing parts of the interview?
I agree that what he said about that if someone covers his songs its difficult ..i only like very very few smiths/moz coverversions
..so the album titel summarize his life.hmmm
..i will have a go on it...tomorrow
Im just doing it right now give me some time

Last edited:
It is a billiant interview, thank you again to the one who made it possible to have it on this forum.
Cheers Moz

I'm glad he finally said something about Alain. It's too bad no one asked about this in the many English language interviews that have gone under the bridge since he left.

So did Decca strongarm Morrissey into releasing both of the new songs as singles? Either way, it was a crass decision to get the diehards to buy the Greatest Hits on the relative (de)merits of the new songs only to release them on an album one year hence. But that's the music biz for you, I guess.

In my opinion it doesn't change the fact that THPGU is crap. ;)

Cheers,
Jamie
I think most journalists wouldn't ask about Alain simply because they are not interested in the band. When's the last time a journalist asked Morrissey about Boz? How many of them even know his name?

here are some (badly) translated tidbits:
"That's How People Grow Up" and "All You Need Is Me" were alway supposed to be featured on YOR: "The album was supposed to be released much earlier. These two songs belong on the album, they are part of the whole. By some strange accident they also ended up on 'Greatest Hits', but they definitely belong on 'Years'.
Why YOR was not released in September 2008: "I've changed management twice. The first manager left, the second left, and the third one finally fixed the current date of release. Just practical obstacles - but very annoying and very discouraging all the same. You want your songs to be heard, after all. You don't want to suffocate on the whole thing."
On Alain Whyte:"He had to leave for personal reasons. Nothing to do with me at all. He then started his own band, Red Lightning, and was very busy. That's why we haven't seen each other as much lately. But there's no bad blood between us."
On "Paris" and the escapism of travelling:"Travelling is always some kind of flight, of course - it always works. You can occupy yourself with different and new things. You have the secure feeling of having a goal - and a reason to pack your bags. You hope that something is waiting for you on the other side. Not somebody to pick you up and take you home, but maybe a photograph of a building you just have to take. Or something like that. It's all about planning an itinerary and staying on the move."
About his celebration of independence in THPGU and "I'm OK BY Myself":
"We've all been indoctrinated to believe that we have to mate in order to be happy. That we are only able to find strength in other people. That other people have to give us everything we desire. I don't believe that this is necessarily true. Since the second we were born, we've been taking care of ourselves. And we've been quite sucessful, we're still here after all. That's why we're just as worthy.
We're constantly oppressed and inhibited by the idea that, as a solitary figure, we're just half a person, that something is lacking. And the other side of the coin: People in relationships, who are married or whatever, feel superior and think they're some kind of dominating clan. That's just nonsense, because most of them live in utter turmoil and are teetering on the edge of divorce"
Did he often think about giving up music?:
Yes. Well, maybe not often, but once, twice, or thrice, it all became too much for me. But then I always realised: It's a vocation. An absolute vocation. You have to dedicate yourself completely: Regardless how I feel on days on which I'd rather withdraw, I'm always overwhelmed by the feeling that these songs just have to be sung."
About his biography:"There are so many completely absurd things written about me - very extreme and almost unbearable things. That's nothing extraordinary if you're famous. But why shouldn't I respond? You have to seize your right to represent yourself. That's what I'm going to do now. I've just started writing, but it's almost ridiculously easy."
About Jerry Finn's death: "It was absolutely shocking. One minute you're at his house, listening to finished songs together and laughing yourselves silly, and a few weeks later he has a heart attack and brain haemorrhaging, goes into a coma and then dies two weeks later. I was at the hospital, and the decline was inconceivable. It's a lesson. A lesson we never really learn because human nature is so obsessed with trivialities. We allow ourselves to be pressurized by absurdities, and are so helpless in the face of almost everything."
one sentence additional to lapzizuli`s translation of the Q about his celebration of independence in THPGU and "I'm OK BY Myself:
MOZ:....(sharp intake of breath)." I cut my own path and swim alone and will sink. Thats how it always was and how it always has been."

NOW follows my translated rest of the interview (/the Q+A which were missing) Question raised topics as Rome ,more of YOR, releasing and recordings,his Mindstate+many more. Its a good interview .Spread over 2 posts.Im sorry my english is not as good as lapzi`s!
Part 1
The nice silver shining jugs in his posh London hotel suite doesnt interest Morrissey.
"I have never understand the concept of coffee" he says scornfully and asks the interviewer with a piercing glance "Whats the use of coffee?"
While one is trying to make the use of coffee comprehensible,when one is getting up at 4.a.m
(in the morning) cause one is travelling to an interview with someone who has the reputation being difficult(challenging/complex) , he suddendly says:" I hope I dont ruin your day"
He is friendly but always in the position of attention(on the lookout). His new album title is not named Years of Refusal without reason. Even when he is laughing heartily, he throws up his hands in horror the next moment, possibly frightened of his own looseness.
He claims"In the studio, I have to absolutely feel comfortable to give my all during singing."
But is moz ever relaxed? "Im maybe exploding mentally but physically I have to feel absolutely comfortable to give my all during singing. When Im stepping to the mike, Im in absolute panic if everything will work out. When its not working after 4-6 takes, its useless. So,lots of pressure. But most of the time its working out."

Interviewer: Lots of the songs you have played live on the last tour. Has that changed the songs?

Morrissey: The structure hasn't changed but when you play it live its (one) has more drive and energy. Maybe cause of that the album is a bit more accelerate (/speed up) this time. But on the other hand I have discovered that one can have certain expectations but then the record process will lead to somewhere else. Whatever will be, will be. The records has its own will, I am of course a part of it,but a lot of it is destiny.

I: You worked again with Jerry Finn. How much influence did he have on the album?

M: A producer is absolutely essential. Concerning my singing, nobody has ever advised me or pushed me towards a direction.but technically(/for technically finesse) I accept being giving suggestions. But basically most ideas are fixated so nobody can meddle with it/it up. We
just say :Thats how we want to do it. Here are the songs. Can you graciously let them sound better?

I:is the the singing the simplest part of the recordings?

M:Sure. I always realize how difficult my songs are to be sung when I hear how others try to do it.(laughs) There are lots of Coverversions out there and they surely are making an effort but don't get the phrasing and the twist and the turns. I think the reason it because I'm a very emotional singer. Its no rocket science (/there`s nothing to it), it just comes from the heart, from nowhere else.
But if people sing backing vocals for me, they struggle. because of the curves and the drops and the loops and the bents and the sudden rising. so its amusing. To me.

I: The album begins with the lines "I'm doing very well, I can block out the present and past now. Is it wishful thinking?

M:(begins fully/properly to giggle) Yes it is. Its Pathos or whatever else.Quite obviously the protagonist is not very well. But he tries to!

I: Your last album ROTT was influenced by Italy and its lifestyle there..

M: This (album)here, is completely different, fully different story, different mood, fully different time, completely different feelings.
I stayed for one year in Rome,and i was completely fascinated by the italian lifestyle. But i have exhausted rome, not in a cruel way... But I didnt want to overstrain their hospitality, I had to go, and then YOR emerged.
The title Years of refusal comprehends the last 26 years of my life very adequate. I think i did go to greath lengths to never , in any way, in these shockingly institutionalised world of music, give up/refuse and adjust myself. I've always felt like a lone voice. If thats true or not, thats for others to decide. But it seems for me that I'm occupied with Refusal/refusing since I began recording music.

:Have you ever not released a song cause it was too personal for you?

M: I had never the fear of releasing something.
EDIT: Nothing can be too personal.
I always had the feeling I have to find the thinnest ice and jump on it, thats the only possible way to live for me. I want the risk. Concerning the private aspects there is no need to hold back or protect. For me this here is all a giant bungee jump that hasn't end yet.

I:So the risk of criticism you put yourself on the line fully aware?

M: Every criticism I get is very personal and very hurtful. But you cant have everything. This very personal and hurtful critisism is an evidence that one is on a illustrious/superior level. You're not merely a simple, trivial pop singer. singing any old spiel. Its in a way a devious appreciation of my position. Also lots of journos are jealous that the audience is taking one so seriously. Cause of that, unfortunately many meaningless singers, who has nothing to say/convey, are never criticized. They're not interesting enough for criticism. Instead they do get awards and Platin records. Sad.

I: NME and you are on bad terms cause one year ago they quoted you wrong. Did you learn something from this?
interview continues....on post 2

Last edited:
continues from ^
Part 2
Morrissey: Every situation,as bad they are, , you learn something from this and it makes you stronger. You dont realize it at the moment. I take it as an subliminal compliment.. You say something in all innocense and it does get built up in one big victorian melodram. They cant handle my intellectual world. They collapse and call the police instead. Thats all utterly bullshit/bollocks and their reaction as well.

I:So youre blameless?
Moz: I was too unsuspicious. They were friendly but it was a trap .Thats what they do all the time(with everybody) cause of declining sales probably. Every thoughful person knows that I despise racism.

I:You are turnring 50 in may. are you going to celebrate?
Moz : Birthdays dooesnt mean nothing to me. no big party. Why? I have survived. Im still here. But on the inside Im still the same.

I: Thsts surely a reason to celebrate?
M: Agreed. But Im too humble. Yes, I should celebrate.

The End

Last edited:
I think most journalists wouldn't ask about Alain simply because they are not interested in the band. When's the last time a journalist asked Morrissey about Boz? How many of them even know his name?

Hence, why I said it was too bad nobody asked. Not being interested in the band is almost tantamount to not being interested in the music. It's almost like they think he does it all himself.

Thank you very much, lapislazuli and sistasheila both,for your good work. It's much appreciated. :)

Thanks for the translation, it really is refreshing to read a serious interview.

What's wrong with coffee, though:confused:

Hahahaha, I also lead a coffee-less existence, and I am a little smug about it, too.

I have to get up very early in the morning (middle of the night, very often) for my business; I sometimes take people along with me, and they can't open their eyes (much less function properly) without a cup of coffee. I usually find this a wee bit annoying. :rolleyes:

Morrissey is always pointing out how self-sufficient he is; people like that can be so irritating. ;)

Thanks for the translation, it really is refreshing to read a serious interview.

Hahahaha, I also lead a coffee-less existence, and I am a little smug about it, too.

I have to get up very early in the morning (middle of the night, very often) for my business; I sometimes take people along with me, and they can't open their eyes (much less function properly) without a cup of coffee. I usually find this a wee bit annoying. :rolleyes:

Morrissey is always pointing out how self-sufficient he is; people like that can be so irritating. ;)

They have good coffee machines where I work and it's free. I need several kick-starts during the day:o

They have good coffee machines where I work and it's free. I need several kick-starts during the day:o

Hey, there are far worse things to get hooked on.

In a more perfect world I would probably end up lying on a divan somewhere in a permanent opium stupor.

you are welcome
.I have edited cause a few sentences and words were missing (esp on the first post) and on the grammtics and the case sensitivity as well :o
For me this here is all a giant bungee jump that hasn't end yet. "
this quote fromn the Q concering the personal songs makes me wonder if that is a sign that he wants to go on. and not how many think stops recording as some songs, the album title and quotes from that othernterview suggest
I dont know if he is talking about his career there but it seems to be:" Für mich ist das alles wie ein gigantischer Bungeejump, der noch nicht zu Ende ist...="For me this here is all a giant bungee jump that hasn't end yet."
btw: "das alles"-this here/ all that...? or...Help?
I appreciate some suggestion forimprove the text from the german fellows for this and the complete text.pm me;)
Thanks for the translations/scans!
What's wrong with coffee, though:confused:
hehe not everyone like the taste..I personally looove the smell of coffee but i dont like the taste..I had only try it once though when iI was thirteen and I found the taste appalling... Maybe I should try again (Oh no,another aaliyah quote..:D)
Same with beer...but i was much older than 13 when i did try it

@anasthesine thts a beautiful pic who is the painter?

Last edited:
hehe not everyone like the taste..I personally looove the smell of coffee but i dont like the taste..I had only try it once though when iI was thirteen and I found the taste appalling... Maybe I should try again (Oh no,another aaliyah quote..:D)
Same with beer...but i was much older than 13 when i did try it

@anasthesine thts a beautiful pic who is the painter?

Yes, you should try again with the coffee!

Painter is Viktor Oliva.

Here's another Green Fairy painting this time by Albert Maignan

Albert_Maignan_-_La_muse_verte.jpg

Tags
interview
Back
Top Bottom